Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Changing flights

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2018, 6:15 pm
Original Poster

Changing flights

I'm trying to change the date of the return leg of a LHR-DOH-HKG booking.

When I try and change the return leg only (booked on a business saver rate) it is showing the prices as £2000+, leading to an additional charge of 2800 including the change fee. The only rates I am able to select are the business saver rates and above.

The outbound leg is a business promo rate and if I try changing both legs I am able to book the return leg for £800 at a business promo rate. The overall cost difference to change both legs is then only £700, half of which is the penalty fee.

Can anyone shed some light on if this is what is expected or if I can only change the return leg and pay the £800 rate? Original dates are 26/10 - 4/11 and I would like to return on the 5/11.

Thanks.
Old Aug 12, 2018, 11:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
If you change your ticket, the price of the entire itinerary is recalculated based on current fares. Try booking a mock return from scratch, see what seems cheapest and then you'll see what you are best off rebooking.

It is also possible your changed return may breach some of the conditions of the original fare and thus brings you to a higher more expensive fare overall.

Note that you could also wait to make your change after you have flown the outbound. In that case, the fare is recalculated using historical fares. If your new itinerary breaches conditions of your original fares it may not make this any cheaper, but if it is a problem with your original outbound, this might sort things out though in the meantime, the fares available on the return you want may increase a lot.

Either way, no you certainly cannot change the return only paying the notional part of a changed return. Have you tried calling them?
clubeurope likes this.
Old Aug 12, 2018, 8:42 pm

Programs: QR Plat
@abc193: copied from QR purchase conditions: "When a ticket is booked with a combination of fares, the most restrictive cancellation rule will apply."

In your case (out-bound business promo, in-bound business saver) all changes, either in or out bound, are subject to the business promo change fees.

I learnt this the hard way when wanting to change a booking in mixed booking classes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.