Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

Major QRPC Changes - effective 27 May 2018

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Major QRPC Changes - effective 27 May 2018

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2018, 1:21 pm

Programs: M&M SEN (*G), HH Diamond
Read all About it: Major QRPC Changes - effective 27 May 2018
Old May 27, 2018, 2:19 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by toastedcafe
Let us know which ones we should target
https://twitter.com/GSaurwein

https://onemileatatime.boardingarea....b-devaluation/

Last edited by singal3; May 27, 2018 at 2:28 pm
Old May 27, 2018, 2:27 pm

Programs: M&M SEN (*G), HH Diamond
Ian Di Tullio left QR in March this year. He's now with AccorHotels: https://qa.linkedin.com/in/ianditullio/en
singal3 likes this.
Old May 27, 2018, 3:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP BA Gold, TK Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AS 100K, QR PLT, SAS Gold, IHG Spire, AMR
Originally Posted by goliath
Ian Di Tullio left QR in March this year. He's now with AccorHotels: https://qa.linkedin.com/in/ianditullio/en
So don't transfer your QR points to Accor. That will be the next dramatic devaluation

How many points can you transfer to Accor? QR is limiting me. We have 3 PLT accounts with 400,000 points but won't be using them for QR travel. Partner airline awards are pretty useless too. RJ has some okay redemptions out of AMM, but that is about it.

What do I do with QR credits and points?

Last edited by Deltahater; May 27, 2018 at 3:53 pm Reason: added info
Old May 27, 2018, 4:42 pm

Dear xadria,

Thank you for writing to Privilege Club. We value your business.

We apologize for any inconvenience that you have experienced and your valuable and constructive feedback plays a vital role in highlighting the areas of concern and thus enables us to improve our services.

We have forwarded your feedback pertaining to new enhancements to our relevant team for their review.

Our concerned team shall look into your request and shall take it further with all the teams involved in it.

Do let us know if we can assist you any further.

Sincerely,
Old May 27, 2018, 5:41 pm

Are there any plans for turning QR into a cargo airline?
Seriously, does anybody know who TK is doing on load factors now? With the political events of two years ago, they were flying around empty seats, and responded by offering many cheap-as-dirt fares...
Oh Qatar, my Qatar, what have you done?
Old May 27, 2018, 5:53 pm

Programs: QRPC-Silver & Star-Alliance
Originally Posted by goliath
Either he had extremely-good timing, or he was instructed that he was going to have to 'enhance' the QRPC into-the-ground, and showed his displeasure by voting with his feet ?
Old May 27, 2018, 7:10 pm
NoY

Programs: SQ *Gold, BA, QR, EY, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by makrom
I think the following can now be considered best practice:
  • Booking awards with partners in J/F is now the best value.
  • Convert leftover points to Club Accor, max 100,000 per calendar year. 9000 Qmiles = 40€ credit.
  • Stop crediting to QRPC, even for bookings with 2x multiplier, unless you are close to an aspired award.
  • Find an alternative program to credit to. Use BAEC for easy status if 4 BA segments per year are doable.
  • Remember QR's loyalty to its customers next time you consider booking QR.
Very nice summary & exactly what I am now doing ^

QR PC is a real clusterf+*% now
spec119 likes this.
Old May 27, 2018, 7:29 pm
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Originally Posted by traveler_ron
As I usually fly business class between Europe and Asia I made the following comparison between CX and QR as they are two possible options for my travels.How many flights do I need before reaching the number of miles required for an award return ticket in business:CX (from Jun 22 onwards!!): earned per trip (in Biz I/C) with Asia miles 21.620 ; needed 180.000 ; nbr of flights: 8,33QR (as from May 27): earned (in Biz I/R) burgundy 15.196//gold 25.238 ; needed 251.000 ; nbr of flights: 16,52// 9,94. What if Q2? Sorry too “difficult” to calculate...
So with this itinerary, CX 8.33 flights needed for free flight in J, QR 9.94 flights (if QR gold). I am guessing it's very close between the two if you are QR plat rather than QR gold. So despite the massive depreciation, QR is not so out of line with CX? Maybe QR looks worse on other routes, but not this one.

Look, I am disgusted just as much as anyone else and I am left holding the bag with my 800k miles. But where can we go? I was BA Gold for a decade (many years in tandem with QR Plat) and BA sucks so much that even the 4 BA flights turned out too much for me to bear so I gave up and started crediting everything to QR rather than splitting between QR and BA to achieve OWE in both. CX product is in a similar league to QR, but sounds like their program is not that much better than QR. I would dread flying AA long-haul even more than BA so should I earn and burn with AA without ever flying AA? I do not like transiting in AMM so RJ no thanks. Maybe AY?
Old May 27, 2018, 7:43 pm

Last year, I booked a flurry of flights JFK-SIN RT in J for $1800 USD during a sale, and they had 4x miles promo going on at the same time. Despite now the massive depreciation, it was a crazy double-dipping promo where I doubt they could possibly make much money. This year, I jumped on CMB-PHL RT in J for $1200. Once again, how can they make money with this price?

Now the QRPC change makes no sense again, but the other way. Perhaps they are just clueless and it can work out in both directions. Win some, lose some.

For me the most stunning thing about the change is not even the massive depreciation of the miles, it's the fact that now it's cheaper to book with OW partners than QR itself, at a time where loads are abnormally low. You just could not dream this stuff up.

All that said, I cannot imagine I will stop flying QR. The question is simply where to earn the miles.
Old May 27, 2018, 7:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by escape4
... so should I earn and burn with AA without ever flying AA?
That's what i'm doing.

All that said, I cannot imagine I will stop flying QR. The question is simply where to earn the miles.
Exactly. Business class is a truly superior product, and usually at below market prices. I'll be crediting to AA, at least for now.
Old May 27, 2018, 8:21 pm

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
That's what i'm doing.

Exactly. Business class is a truly superior product, and usually at below market prices. I'll be crediting to AA, at least for now.
If I load up on AA as my single OW program, will I lose access to the Flagship lounge in the USA if I do not have QR Plat or BA Gold anymore? And losing the 60 qcredits which is probably worth $1k USD or so. And maybe losing out on a rare J to F op-up which will go to someone else if I am no longer QR Plat.

In return for a better earn & burn. Qmiles were valued at 1.1 cpm on TPG before the devaluation, so maybe 0.7 cpm now. That's half of AA at 1.4 cpm. But when flying QR you will earn more miles if you use QRPC than if you use AA to earn on a QR flight, so the difference is not quite 2 for 1 if flying QR but never flying AA.
Old May 27, 2018, 10:00 pm
Suspended

If I load up on AA as my single OW program, will I lose access to the Flagship lounge in the USA if I do not have QR Plat or BA Gold anymore? And losing the 60 qcredits which is probably worth $1k USD or so. And maybe losing out on a rare J to F op-up which will go to someone else if I am no longer QR Plat.

In return for a better earn & burn. Qmiles were valued at 1.1 cpm on TPG before the devaluation, so maybe 0.7 cpm now. That's half of AA at 1.4 cpm. But when flying QR you will earn more miles if you use QRPC than if you use AA to earn on a QR flight, so the difference is not quite 2 for 1 if flying QR but never flying AA.
Yes if you are mainly flying domestic flights within the US.

60 QCredits now is basically 1 one-way upgrade unless you live in the Middle East, so $1k is stretching it. I think maximal value for the upgrade would be Europe to Australia, where it could be worth more than $1k but still.
Old May 27, 2018, 10:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT

Interesting. QR PLT = OW EMD gets you free admission to Admirals Clubs. I'll have to do the calculation.

Right now, I'm planning to continue flying QR (unbeatable business class product at unbeatable prices) but credit to AA. If I'm going to fly QR, I don't really see any feasible alternatives for crediting. There's really no point in crediting to QRPC given the new, higher redemption prices. For OW partners, I think that AA has the best numbers. I'll most likely use them for CX F redemptions, as there's not much better between BOS and BKK. As much as it has gone downhill, I still prefer CX F over JL. And the routing is better for me, as well.

*A has some nice F services (e.g., OZ, NH, LH, LX); so I looked at *A. The problem there is that for the tickets I buy, J class on any *A carrier is at least double what I pay for J on QR. Since I still pay cash for the majority of my tickets, I don't see any alternative to QR.

Also accumulating AMEX MR points with 5× for air ticket purchases. I'll look to redeem those for EK F, which I've never tried.
Old May 27, 2018, 10:32 pm

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
Interesting. QR PLT = OW EMD gets you free admission to Admirals Clubs. I'll have to do the calculation.

Right now, I'm planning to continue flying QR (unbeatable business class product at unbeatable prices) but credit to AA. If I'm going to fly QR, I don't really see any feasible alternatives for crediting. There's really no point in crediting to QRPC given the new, higher redemption prices. For OW partners, I think that AA has the best numbers. I'll most likely use them for CX F redemptions, as there's not much better between BOS and BKK. As much as it has gone downhill, I still prefer CX F over JL. And the routing is better for me, as well.

*A has some nice F services (e.g., OZ, NH, LH, LX); so I looked at *A. The problem there is that for the tickets I buy, J class on any *A carrier is at least double what I pay for J on QR. Since I still pay cash for the majority of my tickets, I don't see any alternative to QR.

Also accumulating AMEX MR points with 5× for air ticket purchases. I'll look to redeem those for EK F, which I've never tried.
I end up booking some J flights on *A but in general I agree that it's easier to find a decent product at a decent price with QR and some others in OW so I am usually more stretched to reach Star Gold on a couple of *A programs per year, whereas for OW I don't need to go out of my way and it just gets done.

Have you done the math of AA vs AY? If not ever flying AA or AY. Reality is that I am more likely to fly AY once or twice (unlike AA), and I would get entry into Flagship lounges if I use AY to earn on QR.

Obviously QR>AY, but AY has prices year-round Canada to Asia for $2,500 USD so I can see myself compromising once in a while and book with AY rather than QR when I need to book this route.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.