Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Using miles for duty free purchases

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2018, 5:56 am
Original Poster

Using miles for duty free purchases

I would be very grateful if anyone could confirm whether I can use miles to buy duty free items (perfume) whilst in transit. Reading the Doha Airport blurb, it states that DF can be purchased with miles in the departure and arrivals terminals only, so I might be unlucky. Thanks for any advice.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 6:49 am

Programs: TK Gold, Etihad Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold, IHG Gold.
You can, but the redemption rate is horrible. 10,000 miles is around 150 QR or around 0.4 cents per mile.

Cheers,

Timo
Old Apr 23, 2018, 10:38 am
Original Poster

Thanks Timo.
Yes I'm aware it's not the best use of miles but I have got about 26000 expiring at the end of the year and I don't think I am going to be able to use them more productively before then.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 8:22 pm

Programs: AI Gold, TK Gold, QR Silver, 9W BluePlus
Apologies for bumping but have an extension to the question. My wife has some miles expiring at end of the year and I am traveling sometime before that. Can I use the miles from her account? If yes how?
Old Apr 24, 2018, 1:32 am

Programs: TK Gold, Etihad Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold, IHG Gold.
Hi,

You cannot use miles from another members account, as the member is supposed to physically be there. If you do not have enough miles to cover the full cost, you cannot pay the cash difference. At least not last week when I tried.

Cheers,

Timo
Old Apr 28, 2018, 11:10 am

Programs: QR Plat, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by CCU_Flyer
Apologies for bumping but have an extension to the question. My wife has some miles expiring at end of the year and I am traveling sometime before that. Can I use the miles from her account? If yes how?
She can use them to upgrade you (advance upgrade through QR website or aiport upgrade if she can be present at airport check-in, even if she's not flying with you) or for an award flight for you.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 7:17 am
zsc

Programs: QR Silver / BA Silver
Originally Posted by CCU_Flyer
For some extra information: to use miles as payment, you need your boarding pass (with your name on it), your membership card (web version or scanned copy works), and your passport. So it would be rather difficult for you to use your wife's miles for duty free as such.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.