Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Al Safwa - Underwhelming

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2018, 2:57 am

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by jah718
I must admit I was also quite disappointed by the AS. There is no denying that it is an absolutely stunning lounge from a design and architecture point of view, and it is nice to have the sleeping rooms when available. However, I just didn't think it was comfortable, it was awkwardly quiet and I found the food to be meh.

Admittedly, there are few first class lounges to compare to the likes of the CX lounges in HKG, but I just didn't enjoy the AS.

On reflection, the fact that it was Ramadan and there was not alcohol may have affected my perception of the lounge.....
100% - the best thing about AS is the champagne and often other wines on offer which are of very high quality for a airport lounge (far beyond what you'd get in even CX's F lounges). In almost all other respects though I think I probably prefer The Pier F too.
Old Apr 10, 2018, 5:27 am

Programs: QR Silver, BA Silver, FB Gold
Originally Posted by Phil the Flyer

I’ve not flown EK F for 20+ years, nor EK J for 12 years - so I can’t comment on EK’s F lounge. However, like you, I would choose QR over EK in a heartbeat.

However the reason for this post - what is the general opinion of DOH v DXB as airports (eg, ease of transfer through airport, flight congestion, etc)? In my opinion DOH is ahead of DXB.
Emphatically agree on both points. I flew EK J for the first and only time a couple of months ago, CAI-KHI and back, since QR had stopped re-routing ex-CAI bookings by then. I was completely underwhelmed and couldn't understand what the EK hoopla I'd been hearing for years was about. I found the 2-3-2 J seating on the EK 777s absurd (tight -- reminded me a little of the BA Club World coffins, without the privacy the latter at least give you in window seats). Absolutely hated the DXB transfer: had to walk miles from the far end of the B terminal to the far end of the C terminal, and v.v. on the way back (I have a back problem that makes a walk of more than 10 or 15 minutes a bit of a trial). Nobody much around to help (compared to the numerous staff hanging about at DOH, ready and eager to help), and those I finally did find seemed apathetic and reluctant. While I am not overwhelmed by the Mourjan Lounge at DOH, the lounge I managed to hit at DXB was nothing special either. Transfer at DOH is a breeze by comparison.

p.s. The *only* thing I found where EK had an edge on QR during that trip was the EK lounge at KHI. Otherwise, I badly missed QR & DOH........

Last edited by husseinbadr; Apr 10, 2018 at 5:36 am
Old Apr 10, 2018, 10:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Count me among those who also find Al Safwa generally disappointing (though they got on the wrong side of me from the time they advertised fresh squeezed grapefruit juice on the menu that never was! From my few attempts, I have never managed to get one of the sleeping rooms either or would have probably had a better appreciation of the lounge. I also find the food average at best (quality wise, I don't care that much about the choice) and they only managed to make it "stand out" negatively by discontinuing the a la carte in Al Mourjan rather than try to give a true F offering in Al Safwa.

The décor is nice, and I can always find a quiet place or other so it definitely has advantages, but I don't think that the fundamentals are particularly good.
synd likes this.
Old Apr 11, 2018, 2:07 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, UA2MM, QF Platinum, VA Platinum., Volare Executive Club
Originally Posted by orbitmic
I have never managed to get one of the sleeping rooms either or would have probably had a better appreciation of the lounge
I must have been lucky, but in my half a dozen or so visits I've never missed out. Must admit, that's just about the only thing I really like about the lounge.
orbitmic likes this.
Old Apr 11, 2018, 6:20 am

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by Grace B
I must have been lucky, but in my half a dozen or so visits I've never missed out. Must admit, that's just about the only thing I really like about the lounge.
I'm officially jealous!! I suspect it might have much to do with times of days. Unfortunately, all my visits seem to be at peak time and the flights I am usually on are not the first to arrive in that window either.
Old Apr 11, 2018, 7:46 am

Programs: BAEC Gold [>20k Lifetime TPs] | Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond [as is Mrs PtF] | Various Others
Originally Posted by orbitmic
I have never managed to get one of the sleeping rooms either or would have probably had a better appreciation of the lounge.
Another one here with a 100% sleeping room success rate - both in Al Safwa and the old Premium Terminal.

In the first year or two after the opening of the new airport, on DOH transits where I wasn’t entitled to access Al Safwa, I would automatically reserve a room at the airside Airport Hotel. However as the Airport Hotel room rates have crept ever higher, and with the introduction of free or reduced rate Doha city hotel rooms, I have changed my strategy completely and now try and select flights that will result in an 18-20 hours DOH transit time - this longer break in journey is my favourite way of flying with QR.

I should also add that the removal of the QAR100 visa fee has also helped to tip the balance in favour of staying in Doha hotels.

Last edited by Phil the Flyer; Apr 11, 2018 at 8:57 am Reason: Additional comment
Old Apr 11, 2018, 8:36 am

I think AS really comes into its own with the sleeper rooms (another with a nil rejection rate thus far) and also if you are originating in Doha and can use the dedicated security straight into the lounge. Some of the main areas could be cosier so you feel a little less "on display", but I find the staff very open to having a chat and I usually enjoy the time I'm in there.

I would agree on the added benefits of the free city hotels at the moment though. If I'm not in a hurry and on a very long haul trip, the extended transfer makes the whole journey more relaxing.
Old Apr 11, 2018, 10:50 am

Guys, with all of you getting the rooms every time I'm starting to take my own lack of success a bit personally!!!!

I haven't another QR F for a while but will certainly try again next time and hope that my luck finally turns!
Old Apr 11, 2018, 11:19 am

Programs: Qatar Airways Privilege Club Platinum; Accor Le Club Platinum
Originally Posted by lost_in_translation
100% - the best thing about AS is the champagne and often other wines on offer which are of very high quality for a airport lounge (far beyond what you'd get in even CX's F lounges). In almost all other respects though I think I probably prefer The Pier F too.
At one point, they had seared scallops. Ah, the good old days, but I digress.
As for the wine, QR had better have good wine...they have the Importing MONOPOLY on ALL alchoholic products in the country. Though even with that, they could still probably do better than Lanson.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.