Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Qatar Airways announces financial loss

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2018, 3:50 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by WorldLux
I think it should when it potentially impacts competition. The worst case scenario would be competitors going bust and the few subsidised airlines dominating the market. That seems IMO however far fetched.

The many US-Asia routes for instance. The US3 have gotten quite a bit of pressure on those routes by the ME3 and, more recently, Chinese airlines.
Chinese airlines certainly put pressure on pricing from US to Asia.

But other than those of us on FT, very few people are going to fly from the US to Singapore/China/Thailand/Hong Kong/Vietnam/etc. through Doha. We may like it because of QR's service and the miles but it adds several hours.

Originally Posted by IAN-UK
As an example, certain routes between the US and India are important in terms of traffic volume and revenue. Before the prominence of the Middle-East carriers, much of this traffic routed through the major European hubs with the transatlantic component operated by a US carrier or a revenue-sharing code-share partner of a US carrier.

The likes of QR now bypass the European hubs, flying (eg) Bangalore Doha New York.
I agree the ME3 are ideally situated for connecting between the US and India. However, before the ME3 were around ... how many flights were operated by US carriers into India ... lets see there was TWA and Pan Am.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by C17PSGR
But other than those of us on FT, very few people are going to fly from the US to Singapore/China/Thailand/Hong Kong/Vietnam/etc. through Doha. We may like it because of QR's service and the miles but it adds several hours.

UA NYC to SIN via LAX 24:49 (including 0:55 stop)

QR NYC to SIN via DOH 21:35 (including 1:00 stop)

I agree the ME3 are ideally situated for connecting between the US and India. However, before the ME3 were around ... how many flights were operated by US carriers into India ... lets see there was TWA and Pan Am.
I think maybe you missed the bit about US carriers operating the transatlantic sectors (themselves or as revenue-sharing partners on the route) between India and the US

Please see above for the significant advantage the Middle East carriers have on east coast to Asia routes: and that's only in time, before we bring in fares and quality of service.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 5:46 pm

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Chinese airlines certainly put pressure on pricing from US to Asia.

Asia "starts" way west and includes places like Turkey and India.

There are many routes from the US that are shorter/quicker via Dubai/Doha/Abu Dhabi. Moreover the ME3 have the advantage of offering more 1-stop routings, something many average passengers still care about (preferably non-stop or 1 stop if the former is not possible). Moreover, price is undoubtedly dictating many customer's choices and flying a couple hours more seems acceptable if the price is significantly lower.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.