Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

8.5 hour DOH layover. Hotel worth the hassle?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

8.5 hour DOH layover. Hotel worth the hassle?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2018, 1:40 pm

Programs: VS FC Gold, BA EC Gold, Amex Centurion, EK Gold, ex-G-ATVK driver
I’m about 18 hours in to a 26 hour layover, there is no doubt the airport transit hotel is a very convenient, if pricey, option. I’ve used it before on shorter transits, particularly where it fits my sleep pattern. The rooms are a good size and the shower is very large and welcome.

I also usually have access to all six lounges including Al Safwa, including this trip. The rooms in Al Safwa are nice enough but small and no better than three star accommodation.

I used to recommend earplugs or noise cancelling headphones for the transit hotel but now it's far better than it was: thankfully the continual airport PA annoucements that used to permeate into the hotel rooms appear to have stopped.

it also mean you have base so you can go walkabout around the terminal much more easily.

Make sure you have a paper boarding pass to check in to the hotel, I had an electronic BP and had to email it to them while standing at the reception desk.
Old Jan 20, 2018, 1:43 pm

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
The HIA hotel is, IMO, the best way to optimize sleep on an 8 hrs layover... but its convenience is indeed expensive, especially when compared with a free accommodation by QR
In this case I would try anyway the QR Hotel offer; maybe you could get lucky and being directed to the HIA hotel. It happened to me & husband the only time we were eligible for the free hotel, on a 8.15 hrs layover
Old Jan 21, 2018, 5:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Ti, UA Silver
Originally Posted by Lefly
In this case I would try anyway the QR Hotel offer; maybe you could get lucky and being directed to the HIA hotel. It happened to me & husband the only time we were eligible for the free hotel, on a 8.15 hrs layover
I've received the transit hotel booking info from QR and it shows that we're booked at the Oryx Rotana. It also states:
Please proceed to the “Transit Accommodation at City Hotel” counter located at the Transfer Desk at Hamad International Airport.
Is there still a chance we'd get the HIA hotel when we arrive at the transfer desk? I'm still undecided about whether the city hotel is worth it for a short layover.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 7:43 am

Programs: BAEC Gold [>20k Lifetime TPs] | Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond [as is Mrs PtF] | Various Others
Originally Posted by IAN-UK

entering and leaving Qatar isn't much of a faff, taxi/uber won't break the bank and the transfer is fast.

Entering and leaving Qatar isn't much of a faff, taxi/uber won't break the bank and the transfer is fast.
I think we got the message the first time.

After many DOH transits over the past five years (going back to the time of the Premium Terminal), and given, a) the cost of a visit visa has fallen from QAR100 to QAR0, b) the current extended free DOH hotel offer, c) the ever-rising cost of the DOH airside Airport Hotel and, d) the relatively low cost of DOH-city and vv transport (circa GBP10), the current strategy of Mrs PtF and me is to deliberately engineer an 18/20 DOH layover (obviously doesn’t work if you are in a hurry) and enjoy, at a leisurely pace, a complimentary five star hotel in the city, a nice meal, etc - what’s not to like?
orbitmic, SullyofDoha and Lefly like this.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 8:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by PHLGovFlyer
FWIW in my phone conversation with QR they stated that we would be given the Oryx Rotana as our layover hotel. So that appears to mandate about 3+ hours out of the 8.5 hours for dealing with transfers, C&I, etc.
I don't see how you get 3+ hours in your computation. Two hours seems a grand maximum given the proximity of the hotel.
For me 8h in a lounge is a NONO.
I would go for the free luxury hotel any time.
orbitmic likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by brunos
I did an 8½ hour connection a couple of weeks ago for the third or fourth time. For me, it works out just perfectly. First, I have to be at the gate (U.S.-bound flight) 90 minutes prior to scheduled departure. They start boarding at T-40 or so; and I have to go through the electronics line for extra inspection there, too. So we're now down to 7 hours. Take off another hour for getting off the inbound flight, through transfer security, etc., find a place to relax (I like the quiet areas behind the deli) and get settled there. Now six hours. Time to get organized for and shower in the morning plus repack as necessary, 45 minutes. Now 5¼ hours. Walk to dining room on the second floor and eat breakfast. Figure an hour. 4¼ hours. Walk to the gate, 15 minutes. So four hours for rest/relax/sleep. As I said at the start, that works just perfectly for me, especially when you remove the possible delays like Uber/taxi breakdown, car crash on the road, et al.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 9:01 am

PHLGovFlyer QR usually do not use the airport hotel for STPC. However If you request it beforehand and have a valid reason for using it, such as small infants, handicap etc. they will try to fill your request.
As it appears that at the moment the airport hotel is very busy and the Oryx Rotana, which QR own, is underused. Unless there is a very good reason I think QR will deny requests for the Airport hotel.
You also need to submit your request some time before you fly. That would increase your chances. Turning up at the STPC desk and requesting such a change is almost certain to result in failure.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 9:56 am

Programs: QR Gold, HH Diamond, Melia Gold, Accor Silver, Amex Plat AT
short answear: no, not worth it. The Hotels in the +Qatar promotion give you full 24 hrs.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 12:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Ti, UA Silver
Originally Posted by brunos
I don't see how you get 3+ hours in your computation. Two hours seems a grand maximum given the proximity of the hotel.
I would go for the free luxury hotel any time.
I'm just going off of what QR has told me about check out time from the hotel being 2 hours prior to departure (I'm flying to Europe, not the U.S.). So I figured 2 hours for that, then added an hour on the arrivals part of the stopover to go through C&I, deal with paperwork, and transfer to the hotel.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 12:37 am

Originally Posted by PHLGovFlyer
I've received the transit hotel booking info from QR and it shows that we're booked at the Oryx Rotana. It also states:

Is there still a chance we'd get the HIA hotel when we arrive at the transfer desk? I'm still undecided about whether the city hotel is worth it for a short layover.
In our case we didn't get anything beforehand, as we asked for the free hotel directly in the lounge during the outbound layover. When we went to the transit desk on our way back, 5 days after, we still had no information about the hotel chosen for us. It has been a very pleasant surprise.

Reading your and all the other replies I think you would indeed get the Oryx, but at this point only you can decide between 800 QAR* for the airport hotel, with prolonged sleep/rest, or the more limited time of the QR free offer. Just remember to book well in advance if you choose the HIA hotel

*that was the 5 to 8hrs price for a standard room quoted to us a year ago.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 8:47 am

Programs: LH Sen for life; QR Plat; FB Gold; Bonvoy Gold for life
I have a flight booked with a 19 hour layover (arrive 01:00 depart 20:15). Does anyone know how the transit hotel calculates "nights"? Is it any period of 24 hours or is it the standard (non-airport) block of 15:00 - 12:00?
Old Jan 22, 2018, 9:09 am

Programs: BD Silver, HH Gold, BA Silver, CX Gold
Originally Posted by BobBHX
I have a flight booked with a 19 hour layover (arrive 01:00 depart 20:15). Does anyone know how the transit hotel calculates "nights"? Is it any period of 24 hours or is it the standard (non-airport) block of 15:00 - 12:00?
I have a 6am-6pm layover and the hotel said that was fine, so I think they work in 24 hour periods rather than typical check in / check out
Old Jan 22, 2018, 1:59 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AAdvantage, Marriot & SPG Platinum, Hilton, AClub gold, ICH
We have stayed at the airport hotel which was great, but that was when they did the hourly rates which unfortunately they don’t do anymore, so it is an expensive option now. We have also stayed in the Oryx which was fine but we did only have about five hours there by the time we had got to our room and had to leave to get back for two hour checkin. The last time we had just under eight hours layover and we stayed in the airport, but for us we wouldn’t do that again. All the quiet areas were full. We had to wait about an hour for the rest area past the deli by the showers. We were only allowed one cubicle for the two of us so one settee and one chair, so only one person could lie down.However the snoring from other cubicles was absolutely deafening, about five different people were all snoring It was so bad we only stayed there ten minutes. The lounge was very full and we ended up in the upstairs restaurant which wasn’t serving food for a couple of hours whilst it was being cleaned so was quite empty. So as I say, for the next time we will leave the airport even if we have to pay for a hotel ourselves, but appreciate every one has different experiences and preferences
Old Jan 22, 2018, 3:09 pm

Originally Posted by Pandra
We have stayed at the airport hotel which was great, but that was when they did the hourly rates which unfortunately they don’t do anymore, so it is an expensive option now.
From when?

Originally Posted by Pandra
We have also stayed in the Oryx which was fine but we did only have about five hours there by the time we had got to our room and had to leave to get back for two hour checkin. The last time we had just under eight hours layover and we stayed in the airport, but for us we wouldn’t do that again. All the quiet areas were full. We had to wait about an hour for the rest area past the deli by the showers. We were only allowed one cubicle for the two of us so one settee and one chair, so only one person could lie down.However the snoring from other cubicles was absolutely deafening, about five different people were all snoring It was so bad we only stayed there ten minutes. The lounge was very full and we ended up in the upstairs restaurant which wasn’t serving food for a couple of hours whilst it was being cleaned so was quite empty. So as I say, for the next time we will leave the airport even if we have to pay for a hotel ourselves, but appreciate every one has different experiences and preferences
And that's the reason I always try to have ear plugs with me.
I tried both the quiet room and the business area with the chaise longues, and for me & my husband they are ok for a 6/7 hours layover. But of course anyone has different preferences and needs
Old Jan 24, 2018, 7:59 am

We had a 15 hr layover on our outbound flight and the Oryx was a great option...the food was good and we got a decent night sleep. On out inbound flight we had only 8.15 hr of layover and knew we would hardly get 4 hrs at the Orxy if we went that route, so at the transit desk we requested for the airport hotel instead. The agent there was good enough to give it to us, that really helped as we had 2 kids with us and they got a decent 5 hrs of sleep...if not the next 15 hr flight would have been murderous on us!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.