Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

8.5 hour DOH layover. Hotel worth the hassle?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2018, 7:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Ti, UA Silver

The lovely Mrs. PGF and I have a 8.5 hour layover at DOH on a Wednesday night in a few weeks. We're flying Biz class. Our flight arrives a bit after midnight and departs around 09:00. On our last biz class transit through DOH we had 7.5 hours so we just used the Al Mourjan lounge, showered, relaxed, ate and drank, etc. This time we're considering getting the free hotel. However, it seems that by the time we clear C&I and transit to the hotel we'd only have about 5 hours or so in the room before the recommended check out 2 hours prior to departure. Is it really worth all the transit, security, paperwork, etc.? Or should we just go with another long lounge visit?

Opinions appreciated.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 8:14 pm

Originally Posted by PHLGovFlyer
The lovely Mrs. PGF and I have a 8.5 hour layover at DOH on a Wednesday night in a few weeks. We're flying Biz class. Our flight arrives a bit after midnight and departs around 09:00. On our last biz class transit through DOH we had 7.5 hours so we just used the Al Mourjan lounge, showered, relaxed, ate and drank, etc. This time we're considering getting the free hotel. However, it seems that by the time we clear C&I and transit to the hotel we'd only have about 5 hours or so in the room before the recommended check out 2 hours prior to departure. Is it really worth all the transit, security, paperwork, etc.? Or should we just go with another long lounge visit?

Opinions appreciated.
I would like to know this as well, I have a stopover coming up and used +qatar to reserve the Westin. It came down to Westin vs Hilton Marquis for me, I would like to hear for someone that has been to some of this hotels.Oryx Rotana Doha

Warwick Doha

Fraser Suites Doha

InterContinental Doha,The City

Souq Waqif Boutique Hotels

Last edited by dilvala; Jan 17, 2018 at 8:16 pm Reason: Additional hotels listed
Old Jan 17, 2018, 8:23 pm

I've been to the InterContinental on a ~9h layover. Clearing security, going to Al Mourjan to leave our bags, clearring immigrration and the taxi ride took about ~2h in total. I've showered, took a short nap (wasn't too tired after sleeping for 11h on AKL-DOH), took some photos of the skyline out of the window, got dressed and went back to the airport.

If you're after a good night's sleep, this is too short — but if you just want to get away from the hustle and bustle of the airport and have a quite place for a few hours, I'd say go for it.

Do note that technically the T&C of the +Qatar offer say you need to have a 12+ layover, but I didn't have any problems with mine.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 8:24 pm

Programs: EXPLT
There was a similar post on this from a few months ago here

With such a relatively short time, I would honestly either do the lounge as you did last time, or inquire with the Airport Hotel on a room for less than 8 hours..as they have such rates available, however you will need to contact them directly to arrange this specifically. Even if you inbound flight arrives on time, by the time you clear exit immigrations, then re enter the airport..I cannot imagine the stay at the free hotel would be very relaxing at all...and then again you dont know how far this hotel would be from the airport? Hopefully somewhere close---like the Oryx that I stayed at a few times (see my post in above link)
Old Jan 17, 2018, 8:33 pm

Programs: EXPLT
Originally Posted by dilvala
I would like to know this as well, I have a stopover coming up and used +qatar to reserve the Westin. It came down to Westin vs Hilton Marquis for me, I would like to hear for someone that has been to some of this hotels.Oryx Rotana Doha-
I would highly recommend the Oryx Rotana..as long as you do not have any business downtown, this hotel is great..my thoughts are here
Old Jan 17, 2018, 8:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by PHLGovFlyer

Opinions appreciated.
You've set out the alternatives well enough, though you appear to leaning towards the lounge. In fact, entering and leaving Qatar isn't much of a faff, taxi/uber won't break the bank and the transfer is fast. You did the lounge stop-over before so why not go for the hotel: then next time you won't need to ask the opinions of strangers

But you have asked, and my opinion is that a comfortable bed and a proper shower wins over free food and booze: just don't forget to set an alarm!. You'll be well enough fed and watered on your flights in and out of Doha, so missing out on the lounge shouldn't be a sacrifice.

Entering and leaving Qatar isn't much of a faff, taxi/uber won't break the bank and the transfer is fast. Go for one of the hotels on the airport side of the city and it will be that much faster.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 9:45 pm

Originally Posted by b74l
I would highly recommend the Oryx Rotana..as long as you do not have any business downtown, this hotel is great..my thoughts are here
Plus its one of the closest to the airport. 10/15 minutes away.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 1:35 am

Programs: Some
The key question is, I think, what are you looking for from the layover?

If you just want to shower, eat, drink and relax, staying in Al Mourjan is the easier option. If there's any possibility you want to sleep or rest, I'd personally always choose the hotel over Al Mourjan, even if only for a few hours (I've left on a <6 hour layover for a few hours in a nearby hotel before). It all comes down to what you think you'll prefer to do.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 4:56 am

Programs: BA Gold
I always stay at the airport hotel. even if it's only for 6 hours. Much more comfortable, and I've usually had my fill of food and drink by then!
Old Jan 18, 2018, 7:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Ti, UA Silver
FWIW in my phone conversation with QR they stated that we would be given the Oryx Rotana as our layover hotel. So that appears to mandate about 3+ hours out of the 8.5 hours for dealing with transfers, C&I, etc.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 10:39 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Was looking at similar connections recently ... choices were an 8 hour connection or a 1.5 hour connection.

Since the Lounge is one of the great bennies of QR J, I wanted to hang out. a 1.5 hour connection (particularly with the need to get to reclear at a US gate) doesn't really give any time. The 8 hour connection is too long for the lounge but too short to get to a hotel and back for some sleep.
Old Jan 20, 2018, 1:41 am

Originally Posted by b74l
I do have a 18.5 hour layover and I believe you still recommended that in the other thread. I'm coming from CMB 14:00 and leaving the next morning at 10:00 AM, I'm thinking staying near business district may require additional time to get back to the airport. Thanks for the input.
Old Jan 20, 2018, 2:05 am

Programs: Qatar Airways Privilege Club Platinum; Accor Le Club Platinum
Take the hotel and get yourselves a comfortable +4hours of sleep. As others have noted, the rotana is a quick 10-15min drive and late at night little traffic. Also, because you are Business class you can exit through the dedicated QR arrivals lounge that has customs clearance. Also, when you come back to the airport, you have access to the biz class departure area (Departures Area 1) so clearing back into the airport will only take you minutes. Just remember to make sure that any big bags are checked through to final destination and just bring a carry on bag with a change of clothes (to be fair, anything less than a 12 hour layover usually means they won’t short check luggage anyways). If you short check your bags to Doha you are wasting valuable sleep time at the arrivals luggage and the departures area trying to check you bags onwards!
Old Jan 20, 2018, 5:19 am

Programs: QR Plat
For layovers of 8-10 hours I prefer the hotel in the terminal. I've had my share of short layovers in the city and seen various hotels, and a few longer ones and seen all three things in town worth seeing. The HIA hotel is a nice room, but the room service is utter crap. On 8-9 hour layovers I even tend to skip the lounges and just go from gate to bed and back to a gate to get the most rest and privacy. On my last trip I was eligible for the Al-Safwa lounge and having seen it a few times decided an extra hour of sleep was more value. As always, YMMV, but for me the HIA is a (pricy) but nice option.

-A
Old Jan 20, 2018, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by ph-ndr
As always, YMMV, but for me the HIA is a (pricy) but nice option.

-A
I agree with both points: it's a luxury not to have to out of the airport then back in on a shortish layover, but the HIA hotel is indeed very expensive, typically twice more than the Oryx if you pay for the latter (let alone if you are going to get the Oryx for free from QR...)
Lefly likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.