Wiki Posts
Search

Advice regarding CDG

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2018, 1:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, GHA Discovery Titanium, Accor Silver
Advice regarding CDG

Have booked a trip in may, arriving into CDG at 0740 on QR41 and now planning my flight back to the uk. Flybe has a 0955 departure from terminal 2E to BHX which would be perfect. Never been to CDG, if everything works smoothly would you say it’s possible to arrive, get through passport control, bags, and from terminal 1 to 2E in an hour? Flybe has a 1 hour cut off for bag check-in so I’d need to be at check in at 0855. The alternative is waiting till 1300, a long wait after 17 hours travelling.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 2:17 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, Radisson VIP
Originally Posted by I2sky
Have booked a trip in may, arriving into CDG at 0740 on QR41 and now planning my flight back to the uk. Flybe has a 0955 departure from terminal 2E to BHX which would be perfect. Never been to CDG, if everything works smoothly would you say it’s possible to arrive, get through passport control, bags, and from terminal 1 to 2E in an hour? Flybe has a 1 hour cut off for bag check-in so I’d need to be at check in at 0855. The alternative is waiting till 1300, a long wait after 17 hours travelling.
I would not do it. Way too tight. Also, what is your plan B in case of a delay?
Old Jan 16, 2018, 2:18 pm

I have been to CDG and I can say that it isn't my favorite airport. Lines could also be long at passport control. I have not tried transiting here though but looking at the website below, it says that it will take you 20-25 minutes to move from Terminal 1 to 2E. I would say the 1 hour you have is too tight.

Travelling between Terminal 1 and Terminal 2 - PARIS-CDG CHARLES de GAULLE AIRPORT
Old Jan 16, 2018, 2:41 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies, guess it will be too tight, I’ll stick with a later flight to be safe.

Last edited by I2sky; Jan 16, 2018 at 2:59 pm
Old Jan 16, 2018, 4:21 pm
zsc

Programs: QR Silver / BA Silver
Thanks for the replies, guess it will be too tight, I’ll stick with a later flight to be safe.
If it helps I have actually done a BA LHR-CDG/QR CDG-DOH hop and yes it is way too short, especially when you require checking in. 15-20 minutes for bag collection, ~10 minutes immigration (was rushing to beat the queue too), 30 minutes transfer between terminals (brisk walking), and you're looking at roughly two hours with contingencies built in.
I2sky likes this.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 5:23 am

I have done an airside QR to BA transfer and that took about 45 minutes which required a bus transfer and no immigration bag collection or checkin. You can check through with QR to other oneworld carriers even on separate tickets. Unfortunately flybe isn't oneworld.
I wouldn't want to do a landside inter-terminal transfer at CDG less than two hours, as the distances are long.
The lines for immigration can be frustrating, especially if you don't get there quickly. Each pier at Terminal 1 has it's own immigration,and has just a few working for each flight. How long it will take is unpredictable. If you are travelling in Business Class, you will receive a pass for priority processing on leaving the aircraft.
To transfer from Terminal 1 to 2 requires a light-rail train ride (CDGVAL) that has two stops and you will have your bags with you. Runs every 10 minutes or so. Once you get to the central terminal station, there is a brief walk to Terminal 2E which is relatively close. If you haven't done it before, you could get a bit lost before you know where exactly you need to be.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 8:41 am
Original Poster

I’m travelling business which should speed things up slightly. It’s good to know about travelling oneworld, I wasn’t aware of that. I was going to book an AirFrance flight at 1220 but I’ll take a look at BA now. I assume they have a lounge? Might be less hassle to book a CE flight with BA if it can be done airside and I avoid all the immigration, bag collection etc.

Last edited by I2sky; Jan 17, 2018 at 8:58 am
Old Jan 17, 2018, 11:49 am
zsc

Programs: QR Silver / BA Silver
Originally Posted by MikeLonW7
I have done an airside QR to BA transfer and that took about 45 minutes which required a bus transfer and no immigration bag collection or checkin. You can check through with QR to other oneworld carriers even on separate tickets. Unfortunately flybe isn't oneworld.
I wouldn't want to do a landside inter-terminal transfer at CDG less than two hours, as the distances are long.
The lines for immigration can be frustrating, especially if you don't get there quickly. Each pier at Terminal 1 has it's own immigration,and has just a few working for each flight. How long it will take is unpredictable. If you are travelling in Business Class, you will receive a pass for priority processing on leaving the aircraft.
To transfer from Terminal 1 to 2 requires a light-rail train ride (CDGVAL) that has two stops and you will have your bags with you. Runs every 10 minutes or so. Once you get to the central terminal station, there is a brief walk to Terminal 2E which is relatively close. If you haven't done it before, you could get a bit lost before you know where exactly you need to be.
When was this, and just to confirm, that means you checked in QR, and they through-checked you straight onto the following BA flight, including luggage interlining?

I’m travelling business which should speed things up slightly. It’s good to know about travelling oneworld, I wasn’t aware of that. I was going to book an AirFrance flight at 1220 but I’ll take a look at BA now. I assume they have a lounge? Might be less hassle to book a CE flight with BA if it can be done airside and I avoid all the immigration, bag collection etc.
By my experience it did not really speed up things - probably got lucky with check-in luggage collection, as I recall one of the QR frequents mentioned no priority luggage services. And if MikeLonW7 is correct, it still wouldn't help because BA does not do luggage interlining, not even if it is a BA itinerary on two separate PNRs. And I am assuming you are doing LHR-CDG/CDG-DOH, so that would render the above moot too.

EDIT: just noticed I missed out an important point (DOH-CDG to CDG-BHX, not the other way round). Above still applies though except for priority baggage - QR does provide priority luggage tags for business class passengers, so you will probably get your luggage just so slightly faster. BA has lounges in CDG - see here.

Last edited by zsc; Jan 17, 2018 at 11:56 am
Old Jan 18, 2018, 3:00 am

Programs: EK Silver, QR Gold
You do get a fast (premiere) pass for immigration arriving in J or F, but there can still be a really long que. It took us about 15-20 minutes to clear, by the time we reached the baggage claim our luggage had just come through as one of the first, so they are quite quick on that matter.

But I wouldn't take anything under 3 hours in CDG..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.