Wiki Posts
Search

Luggage - Heavy technical Equipment

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2018, 7:14 am
Original Poster

Luggage - Heavy technical Equipment

Good day folks,

meanwhile i tried to call Qatar multiple times without success to inquire wether they would accept my lab equipment as luggage.
Anyone here who could give an estimation about wether this luggage would be possible to check in?

Item is a laboratory analyzer in a case (similar as what rock bands use on the road)
size: 120cm x 70cm x 40cm
weight: 65kg

I am flying C and am Qatar Plat.

Any help is appreciated, thank you.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 7:35 am

Location: @somewhere, if help needed use my email address [email protected]
Programs: BA & QR
Originally Posted by Greg_Morris
Good day folks,

meanwhile i tried to call Qatar multiple times without success to inquire wether they would accept my lab equipment as luggage.
Anyone here who could give an estimation about wether this luggage would be possible to check in?

Item is a laboratory analyzer in a case (similar as what rock bands use on the road)

I am flying C and am Qatar Plat.

Any help is appreciated, thank you.
Greg_Morris,

All luggage weighing more then 32kg will not be accepted by any airline.
Can only be shipped as Cargo.
trooper, orbitmic and msm2000uk like this.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 7:47 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Depends on where you're heading to. Some countries don't allow checked bags above a weight of 30/32kg meaning that anything above that threshold would have to be shipped as air freight.

Moreover maximum weight and dimensions depend on origin and destination. QR has different allowances for select destinations or countries.

Another point will be the question of insurance. The compensation you can expect from any airline in case of loss or damage of your checked bags usually doesn't come close to the value of your belongings. It's particularly true if you have to check it as air freight, where you get a ver low compensation per kilo.

I would therefore make sure to have some kind of insurance that would cover the equipment and eventual financial loses due to not having the equipment in case of loss or damage.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 8:30 am
Original Poster

I am heading to Jakarta.

Does anyone have an idea about how difficult/easy that might be to book and what prices i could expect?
Should i rather contact couriers like DHL or better contact Qatar Cargo?
Old Jan 5, 2018, 8:36 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
OK, now we have 50% of the route. Where do you originate and connect, if there is a connection?

Generally, you would want to speak with a freight forwarder who could discuss with you your specific needs, packing requirements, customs issues, (both export and import), and insurance.

Insurance will be critical and as this is apparently a business issue, someone on the business-side of your operation, who understands what coverage you have and what would apply overseas.

As a starting point, if this were a checked bag, the maximum you would collect is approx. US$1,600.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 9:07 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1
OK, now we have 50% of the route. Where do you originate and connect, if there is a connection?

Generally, you would want to speak with a freight forwarder who could discuss with you your specific needs, packing requirements, customs issues, (both export and import), and insurance.

Insurance will be critical and as this is apparently a business issue, someone on the business-side of your operation, who understands what coverage you have and what would apply overseas.

As a starting point, if this were a checked bag, the maximum you would collect is approx. US$1,600.
Sorry, i am flying from Munich to Jakarta transitting in Doha.
I did contact Qatar Cargo and they gave me a few contact details of freight forwarders in town so i will check those out
In the meantime i will explore the option of disassembling the device (42kg) and pack it into luggage myself as i start to get the impression from my experience that forwarding would be quite a hassle and expensive.
Anyway i will post updates.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 9:44 am

Greg_Morris please remember that no single piece of luggage may exceed 32 kg. Also remember that since Lockerbie in the 1980s ALL electrical and electronic items must be in hand luggage and not checked baggage. This may have been rescindedo or changed since then so do check.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 10:28 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Electronic items in checked luggage aren't an issue, batteries are.

Just call DHL. Or if you're in Germany, go to the nearest Deutsche Post as they're quite competent, you can probably find prices online. If you disassemble and carry some stuff with you it'll reduce the freight cost.

Import may be an issue but just declare it as personal items or something, you might need to get a carat or whatever it's called. Other options are FedEx or maybe even Hermes.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 5:35 pm

Originally Posted by remdk
Also remember that since Lockerbie in the 1980s ALL electrical and electronic items must be in hand luggage and not checked baggage. This may have been rescindedo or changed since then so do check.
  • The recent electronics ban has little to do with Lockerbie (although presumably taken for preventing a similar attack)
  • The main impact of Lockerbie was systematically unloading the bags of missing passengers, i.e. preventing someone from planting a device before escaping
Old Jan 5, 2018, 5:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by remdk
Also remember that since Lockerbie in the 1980s ALL electrical and electronic items must be in hand luggage and not checked baggage.
Nonsense. As WorldLux points out, this has nothing to do with the Lockerbie disaster; and there is no rule or ban which even comes close to requiring that "ALL electrical and electronic items must be in hand luggage and not checked baggage."

Nearly all electrical items are permitted in checked luggage. As skywardhunter correctly points out, it's batteries, not "electrical and electronic items" which are not permitted.

For more detailed and specific information, see: TSA - What Can I Bring, or ICAO Technical Instructions for the Safe Transport of Dangerous Goods by Air (regarding batteries), or Dangerous and restricted items: what you cannot take on board a flight from the U.K. Civil Aviation Authority.

Last edited by Dr. HFH; Jan 5, 2018 at 8:03 pm
Old Jan 5, 2018, 9:20 pm

If it still weighs 42kg you will once more be advised to send it as cargo. QR's baggage pages do not address baggage OVER 32kg.....
Old Jan 9, 2018, 8:53 am
Original Poster

I have been to a air cargo forwarder now and the process was straight forward.
Tomorrow it will be confirmed if it is either shipped with Emirates or Qatar and the price for 70kg was roughly 500€.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 12:52 pm

I have been to a air cargo forwarder now and the process was straight forward.
Tomorrow it will be confirmed if it is either shipped with Emirates or Qatar and the price for 70kg was roughly 500€.
including insurance? You don't want to be paid 9$/kg (or whatever low sum it is) when it gets lost/damaged
Old Jan 9, 2018, 2:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WorldLux
including insurance? You don't want to be paid 9$/kg (or whatever low sum it is) when it gets lost/damaged
Insurance of up to 200k $ is incl. and costs 30€
Old Jan 9, 2018, 3:30 pm

Great. Have a good trip

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.