Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Disappearing Award Availability

Search this Thread

Old Dec 24, 2017, 12:11 pm
Original Poster

Disappearing Award Availability

I was looking on BA for Qatar availability from DOH to any East Coast City (JFK top choice though no availability at all) in early August. There seemed to be plenty of availability to BOS and PHL with at least 4 seats on many days, then all of a sudden it disappeared. Any thoughts? Could this be just temporary? I have been looking every day for any changes.
Old Dec 24, 2017, 5:11 pm

Programs: QR Plat, Accor Plat
QR award availability appears and disappears without any apparent reason. Just keep on checking every day/week until you find (or not) something suitable for you...
Old Dec 26, 2017, 5:51 pm
Original Poster

Thanks. I hope it reappears.....patience is difficult with these things.
Crisu69 likes this.
Old Dec 29, 2017, 6:42 am

Programs: Bonvoy Amb, Hilton Diamond
I've been trying to get a DOH -> BKK in Jan, and seem to be out of luck, but just a few weeks back there was a lot of availability.

BHX -> DOH has flights almost daily though.
Old Dec 29, 2017, 10:11 am

Programs: QR Platinum
Originally Posted by Sohan
I've been trying to get a DOH -> BKK in Jan, and seem to be out of luck, but just a few weeks back there was a lot of availability.
Since the award seats are limited i think its quite normal that award seats are not available anymore the more closer the departure date is because the few award seats are occupied already.

In feb. 18 award seats are again available on doha-bkk but i bet, if you look again end jan. 18 there will be nothing available in this route for feb.

~2 weeks ago i could upgrade a flight Durban-Doha form Y to J in April 2018. I booked the flight some months ago already and checked regulary award availability. there was nothing available until 2 weeks ago. i called customer service and could upgarde with miles. after that i checked award availability for the same flight again and it disappeared so i assume there was only 1 seat available.
you should book fast if you see something available.
who comes first.....
remdk likes this.

Last edited by Crisu69; Dec 29, 2017 at 10:25 am
Old Dec 30, 2017, 4:54 pm

Originally Posted by Crisu69
Since the award seats are limited i think its quite normal that award seats are not available anymore the more closer the departure date is because the few award seats are occupied already.

In feb. 18 award seats are again available on doha-bkk but i bet, if you look again end jan. 18 there will be nothing available in this route for feb.

~2 weeks ago i could upgrade a flight Durban-Doha form Y to J in April 2018. I booked the flight some months ago already and checked regulary award availability. there was nothing available until 2 weeks ago. i called customer service and could upgarde with miles. after that i checked award availability for the same flight again and it disappeared so i assume there was only 1 seat available.
you should book fast if you see something available.
who comes first.....
I was hoping the closer to the time, I had a chance for something else to open up. I've been very lucky over the last few years getting great award tickets last minute, but not much experience with QR.

Will have to see if anything opens up - ended up setting an alert on award nexus.
Old Jan 2, 2018, 3:10 am
Suspended

I was hoping the closer to the time, I had a chance for something else to open up. I've been very lucky over the last few years getting great award tickets last minute, but not much experience with QR.

Will have to see if anything opens up - ended up setting an alert on award nexus.
From my experience, the availability is decreasing the closer you are from departure. But that doesn't mean no seat will be available at airport. I can not count the times where the cabin was half empty with no more award seats and due to the high revenue demand they could not open one. All unsold seat will be released at check in.
Old Jan 2, 2018, 5:05 pm

Originally Posted by Jeff_
From my experience, the availability is decreasing the closer you are from departure. But that doesn't mean no seat will be available at airport. I can not count the times where the cabin was half empty with no more award seats and due to the high revenue demand they could not open one. All unsold seat will be released at check in.
Do you mean check in 24hrs prior award seats may open up?

My original flight is tomorrow, so I'm going to have to cancel that ticket and if nothing else opens up book a revenue ticket and sit on the reward ticket for another time when it opens up again unfortunately.

I booked via Asia miles oneworld award chart, so I can't change route or carrier only dates and it seems the DOH-BKK just won't clear up.
Old Jan 2, 2018, 8:39 pm

Award availability on Q-Suite flights seems to be sparse. Anyone have luck booking more than 1 seat in J on a Q-Suite flight?
Old Jan 2, 2018, 11:25 pm
Suspended

Do you mean check in 24hrs prior award seats may open up?

My original flight is tomorrow, so I'm going to have to cancel that ticket and if nothing else opens up book a revenue ticket and sit on the reward ticket for another time when it opens up again unfortunately.

I booked via Asia miles oneworld award chart, so I can't change route or carrier only dates and it seems the DOH-BKK just won't clear up.
I can not predict what will happen. But if the cabin you want to upgrade in is not sold out, at airport they will release those seats for upgrades. I have only upgraded revenue tickets at airport but I guess upgrade a reward ticket is the same. You can call a PC office to check the load of the flight, they will tell you if you have good chance to score an upgrade.
If you have a PC status you may also ask at check in counter how is the load in Eco and ask for your chances of a free upgrade
Old Jan 3, 2018, 12:49 am

Jeff_ the PC rules do not permit upgrading of reward tickets. But some have suggested that that rule may not apply to airport cash upgrades.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.