Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BKK Downgrades 2017: F to J

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11, 2017, 4:58 pm
Original Poster

Just noticed that QR831 changed from A380 to 777 in December. My F fare got changed to a C fare. Yes yes, I know, never book with QR for a particular aircraft. But in essence, this means that booking F with QR is a total crapshoot.
The remaining alternatives have worse timing. Is it even worth asking QR whether they would rebook on another airline?
Old Oct 11, 2017, 7:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by makrom
But in essence, this means that booking F with QR is a total crapshoot.
That might be a bit of an exaggeration. Yes, I would agree that it's a crapshoot on BKK flights. Clearly not on CDG or LHR, for example. And you think that QR is a crapshoot? Try CX in either direction between BKK and HKG. It's almost as if they use a random number generator to assign aircraft.
Old Oct 12, 2017, 2:44 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
That might be a bit of an exaggeration. Yes, I would agree that it's a crapshoot on BKK flights. Clearly not on CDG or LHR, for example. And you think that QR is a crapshoot? Try CX in either direction between BKK and HKG. It's almost as if they use a random number generator to assign aircraft.
I think I should have used indirect speech. What I meant to say is that if you can't assume that you'll get the aircraft type that's shown at time of booking, in case of F this means that you can't assume that you'll get your class of booking.
You are right of course that so far for A380, this has mostly been a problem with the BKK route.
As for CX, I only used them for long haul. So far I haven't experienced a cancelled F leg, but I assume that if it would happen they would't leave it up to me to figure out how to handle it.

I just tried to figure out an alternative routing on QR's network. Instead of leaving BKK in the morning, I could leave in the evening the day before that, yet taking the same flight onwards since there is no earlier one. However, this would most likely mean that I won't get AS access since my layover would be too long for the incoming long haul rule to apply, and no STPC since there's a shorter connection available.
Old Oct 12, 2017, 3:36 am

Programs: Etihad Gold, Qatar Gold, flying Blue, Falcon, Lufthansa, Eva
Originally Posted by makrom
Just noticed that QR831 changed from A380 to 777 in December. My F fare got changed to a C fare. Yes yes, I know, never book with QR for a particular aircraft. But in essence, this means that booking F with QR is a total crapshoot.
The remaining alternatives have worse timing. Is it even worth asking QR whether they would rebook on another airline?
I would have been more than happy to fly this routing with Qatar but instead booked with Emirates for this very reason although I do not have the miles with Emirates to upgrade yet
Old Oct 12, 2017, 4:04 am

My flight QR 831 BKK-DOH on December 1st has changed from A380 to B777.

Very disappointing, being a solo traveller (and anti-social!). I've been looking forward to this flight since I booked in January. I know the risk with QR, but I had high hopes. Sigh.

I enquired about changing to an earlier flight on a 787 but with a charge of £857 (!) I declined...

I don't see this change in any of the published schedule changes. Does anyone know more? Is it a permanent change or is there some chance I might get lucky and see it switch back to an A380?
Old Oct 12, 2017, 10:32 am
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL

Just had plane swap BKK to DOH from A380 to 773. No F
Any experience of what QR will do?
Old Oct 12, 2017, 12:39 pm
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by Markie
Just had plane swap BKK to DOH from A380 to 773. No F
Any experience of what QR will do?
Welcome to the QR Souk Experience.

Here's how this will play out.

QR will likely advise you that the difference in fare is minimal, and as such there is only a small refund due to you.

There is a similar poster to you in the Operational Changes thread already, so I suppose this will apply to both of you.

You can request the following:

1) You can switch to an A380 service within 24 hours of your original flight. I understand, although I haven't checked myself, that the new A380 flight time, is rather poor.

As such, you may find this option of little benefit - albeit you would at least remain in F.

2) You can request what you are entitled to - 75% of the fare difference.

Now, this is where the Souk Mentality kicks in. This process will take time (allow 3-4 email responses, and the escalation to Supervisor level).

You will eventually get the refund you'd expect, but it won't be a simple battle. Many have tried, and many have succeeded.

Do let us know how you get on.

Safe travels,

M
Old Oct 12, 2017, 1:06 pm

Programs: Many but loyal to none
Change number 6, now our BKK-DOH leg in November has changed from an A380 to a 777. I'm not sure how they have squeezed a full J into the new equipment. Seat allocation has changed again although this time they have given us a twin by the window. I only checked due to reading this thread earlier today, and neither QR or Myflights emailed notification

I'm hoping I'm blown away by the QR experience as I'm not impressed up to now by the sheer number of equipment/time changes to my booking. 5/6 I've received no notification from QR, and on two occasions Myflights haven't picked up on the changes.
Old Oct 12, 2017, 1:48 pm

Programs: Not stuck with an Alliance anymore, Star gold, OW Saph
My flight QR 831 change too, downgraded from F to J, as there is only 24 seat on the 77w my husband and I are not any more together....
Will have to fight to get some refund and hope we can change the seat assigment at the check in. Not seat available online .....
Old Oct 12, 2017, 2:06 pm

There are some days where it's oversold by 10, others that are open. I'd say poor customer service if one is on the oversold and will not switch for free.
Old Oct 12, 2017, 2:21 pm

Originally Posted by tafer2uk
Change number 6, now our BKK-DOH leg in November has changed from an A380 to a 777. I'm not sure how they have squeezed a full J into the new equipment. Seat allocation has changed again although this time they have given us a twin by the window. I only checked due to reading this thread earlier today, and neither QR or Myflights emailed notification

I'm hoping I'm blown away by the QR experience as I'm not impressed up to now by the sheer number of equipment/time changes to my booking. 5/6 I've received no notification from QR, and on two occasions Myflights haven't picked up on the changes.
You are quite lucky, following the changed we are downgraded from F to J and not together with my husband, one row 3A and one 4K !
I loved QR but there is too much last minutes changed the past month, I'm a litle bit tired of their games .
Old Oct 12, 2017, 3:34 pm

Programs: Many but loyal to none
Originally Posted by Abyssin
You are quite lucky, following the changed we are downgraded from F to J and not together with my husband, one row 3A and one 4K !
I loved QR but there is too much last minutes changed the past month, I'm a litle bit tired of their games .
Perhaps we are but I've never had more than two changes with any airline. I know the T&C's mean nothing is guaranteed but airlines do create expectations with their blurb and if they can't/don't live up to to that then they are fair game for criticism/poor reviews imho.
Old Oct 12, 2017, 11:48 pm
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
Yesterday was a fun day!

After spending a lot of time trying and failing to get through to QR in London I called the US number last night.

One ring and I was through.

Offers were as you mention - the 1930 flight the night before (couldn't go the same day as had connecting flights booked to get me back to Cairo) or an indeterminate refund.

Took the 1930 offer and that was OK until they found that the ticket had already been rebooked once - to swap from CAI-DOH to AMM-DOH. More waiting but eventually rebooked.

Just booked the airport hotel as their system cannot tell that my stay is long enough on the way back for the free visa and hotel! Sigh.

If they were not so good in the air, I'd never travel again on QR based on the ground and phone experiences!

Originally Posted by msm2000uk
Welcome to the QR Souk Experience.

Here's how this will play out.

QR will likely advise you that the difference in fare is minimal, and as such there is only a small refund due to you.

There is a similar poster to you in the Operational Changes thread already, so I suppose this will apply to both of you.

You can request the following:

1) You can switch to an A380 service within 24 hours of your original flight. I understand, although I haven't checked myself, that the new A380 flight time, is rather poor.

As such, you may find this option of little benefit - albeit you would at least remain in F.

2) You can request what you are entitled to - 75% of the fare difference.

Now, this is where the Souk Mentality kicks in. This process will take time (allow 3-4 email responses, and the escalation to Supervisor level).

You will eventually get the refund you'd expect, but it won't be a simple battle. Many have tried, and many have succeeded.

Do let us know how you get on.

Safe travels,

M
Old Oct 13, 2017, 3:24 am

Did someone knows why the DOH -BKK- DOH is such a mess right know? Too much flights and not enough traffic or A380 on visit ?
Old Oct 13, 2017, 3:34 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/GfL, Lufthansa SEN, Hilton Diamond, misc other stuff
Originally Posted by Abyssin
Did someone knows why the DOH -BKK- DOH is such a mess right know? Too much flights and not enough traffic or A380 on visit ?
The DOH-CAN flight seems to be always empty (had the cabin to myself twice and for an upcoming trip it looks similar) and QR is still running the A380 to CAN.

I've also been hit with the F->C downgrade on DOH-BKK and they didn't even change the class, plane type, ... on the third party PNR which means rebooking would be on my dime.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.