Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Lounge Access for Silver

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2017, 12:35 pm
Original Poster

Lounge Access for Silver

There seems to be some confusion about lounge eligibility for Silver members and I was wondering if someone could clarify;

Since getting Silver, apart from lounge access in DOH, we’ve always received lounge access when departing CMB on QR (QR ticket and QR flight). It’s a ...... lounge but it’s still something
we’ve also received in 2016/17 lounge access when departing LHR (Skyteam lounge), CMN, BCN, and MCT. I think also CPH but don't really remember
(Most, perhaps all, of these airports when checked on QR's lounge access website show that there's no lounge access on Silver)

Departing MIA this year I didn’t get access (apparently a recent change) and also departing AMS we were told at the check-in counter that we were not eligible (although PC later confirmed that we should have received lounge access)

In the meantime, as I was flying to MAD, I wrote to PC asking about lounge and they confirmed (on July 6th) that I wouldn’t get lounge access as a Silver member (see below) – but when checking in I was given an invitation
Iberia Dali lounge can be accessed by Sapphire and Gold members.
Iberia Velazquez lounge can be accessed by Business class and premium class passenger, Sapphire and Gold members.
I also received this reply to the email I sent a few days before the flight, trying my luck with lounge access:
We wish to inform you that as per complimentary lounge access on Madrid airport you have Gold and higher member of Qatar Airways and Sapphire member of oneworld airline or your booking ticket in business and higher class then your eligible for lounge access.
Old Oct 4, 2017, 3:49 pm

Sifaan https://www.qatarairways.com/en-dk/P..._benefits.html for Silver members states quite clearly "
Lounge access:Enjoy lounge access2 in Doha and Business Class lounges at select airports, regardless of your class of travel."

To find out where Silvers are selected as acceptable look at https://www.qatarairways.com/en-dk/l...worldwide.html for the required airports.
Old Oct 4, 2017, 11:27 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold, QR Gold
The above list is confusing to me, i was a Silver member but i was granted access to the SOF lounge when the above link states that its only Sapphire (or Gold) and higher.

Also granted access to business class lounge in DOH despite the site suggesting the same.

I had an economy class ticket btw.
Old Oct 5, 2017, 2:29 am

Programs: QR Platinum, WY Gold, Shangri-la Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Have you been refused lounge entry at the check-in desk or at the lounge itself? Oneworld Ruby (equiv to QR Silver) doesn't grant lounge access automatically, so the lounge agents may not be aware of QR's access policy. You should be given an invitation by the check-in desk for whichever lounge QR contracts with at the airport - which may or may not be the Oneworld lounge(s). Sorry to hear you've been turned away though
Old Oct 5, 2017, 2:47 am

sid7122 the entry for the DOH Business class lounge on https://www.qatarairways.com/en-dk/l...worldwide.html has a footnote which says "Also for Silver members of Qatar Airways Privilege Club."

At SOF were you given a lounge invite at check-in? Since as a Silver you can use the Business class check-in you may have been given an invite. This, naturally, supercedes the normal access rules for that specific lounge!
Old Oct 5, 2017, 3:31 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by remdk
Sifaan https://www.qatarairways.com/en-dk/P..._benefits.html for Silver members states quite clearly "
Lounge access:Enjoy lounge access2 in Doha and Business Class lounges at select airports, regardless of your class of travel."

To find out where Silvers are selected as acceptable look at https://www.qatarairways.com/en-dk/l...worldwide.html for the required airports.
According to that website I don't have access in Colombo but have consistently received invites for it

Araliya Business Class Lounge
Business and Higher / Sapphire / Gold and Higher
Main Terminal / After Security
Old Oct 5, 2017, 3:35 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by purple1addict
Have you been refused lounge entry at the check-in desk or at the lounge itself? Oneworld Ruby (equiv to QR Silver) doesn't grant lounge access automatically, so the lounge agents may not be aware of QR's access policy. You should be given an invitation by the check-in desk for whichever lounge QR contracts with at the airport - which may or may not be the Oneworld lounge(s). Sorry to hear you've been turned away though
Apart from DOH (where I show my boarding pass), all lounge access has been via invites; but I think the check-in desk is aware that business class check in doesn't automatically entitle to lounge access; that's what happened at MIA and at AMS

Once, in LHR, they accidentally entered "1 guest" but the lounge (SkyTeam) recognized that Silver doesn't usually have guests and double checked and confirmed only 1 person could enter

This was the email on July 6th about the AMS lounge:

Greetings from Privilege Club.

We apologize for the delay in replying to you and appreciate your patience.

We wish to inform you that as Privilege Club Silver member, you are entitled to access Aspire Lounge at Schiphol Airport, Amsterdam and Araliya Lounge at Bandaranaike International Airport, Colombo.

With regards to the lounge access not provided in Amsterdam when flying on booking reference XXXXXX, we are truly sorry for the inconvenience you have faced and sincerely apologize for not meeting up to your expectations.

To avoid inconvenience in future, you can confirm the lounge eligiblity with us, prior to your travel.

Further, for any grievances, you can directly write to our Customer Relations Team on [email protected].

Do let us know if we can assist you any further.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 10:12 am

Programs: FB Platinum
So how do you ensure you get in?

Originally Posted by Sifaan
Apart from DOH (where I show my boarding pass), all lounge access has been via invites; but I think the check-in desk is aware that business class check in doesn't automatically entitle to lounge access; that's what happened at MIA and at AMS

Once, in LHR, they accidentally entered "1 guest" but the lounge (SkyTeam) recognized that Silver doesn't usually have guests and double checked and confirmed only 1 person could enter

This was the email on July 6th about the AMS lounge:
My husband and I will both get Silver in Feb/Mar and often fly out of AMS. Your email from PC says you should have access in AMS but according to the QR website it says Sapphire/Gold and above. Confusing indeed!

I will also be flying out of LAX and via ATL in March next year, according to the QR website none of these lounges offer access for Silver but I suppose I will just have to email them to confirm access, as they suggested to you.R

Last edited by msm2000uk; Nov 6, 2017 at 10:23 am
Old Nov 16, 2017, 1:33 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Starchildflyer
My husband and I will both get Silver in Feb/Mar and often fly out of AMS. Your email from PC says you should have access in AMS but according to the QR website it says Sapphire/Gold and above. Confusing indeed!

I will also be flying out of LAX and via ATL in March next year, according to the QR website none of these lounges offer access for Silver but I suppose I will just have to email them to confirm access, as they suggested to you.R
I'm pretty sure you will not get lounge access ex-USA because all of those lounges will be AA Lounges and will have the same policy.
(Unless I'm wrong and there are non-AA lounges available)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.