Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

Chauffeur Service - QR Partnership with Blacklane (not complimentary)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9, 2017, 2:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: QR Gold, BAEC, Marriott Rewards Gold, SPG Gold

Don't know if this has been covered before, but QR now offer a bookable chauffeur service at some of the locations they serve:

https://www.qatarairways.com/en/chauffeur-drive.html

As an experiment I looked at using it from a LHR hotel on Bath road to T4 which I'll be doing anyway later this month. After entering details I was offered 3 options:

First class - £96
Business van/SUV - £77
Business class - £52

Given the time for this journey is normally 15 mins by taxi (pre-bookable at £15) or 30 mins by LHR hotel hoppa (£5 pp), I don't think I'll bother.

Anyone likely to use this service at any destination?
Old Sep 9, 2017, 2:23 am

Programs: QR Platinum OWE, LH SEN
I just checked this for my next flights and it is not really interesting for me either. The charge is always about 3 x the taxi fare. It is also not really a QR service, it just looks like a link to Blacklane for which QR probably receive a commission.
Old Sep 9, 2017, 6:42 am
Original Poster

This thread was started to alert others that the QR website offers a chauffeur transfer service at various QR destinations, it was part the website & not a separate advert.

Why has the title been changed please?

Also, why was my initial & polite first question asking the same thing removed please?
Old Sep 9, 2017, 9:25 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by impeymac
This thread was started to alert others that the QR website offers a chauffeur transfer service at various QR destinations, it was part the website & not a separate advert.

Why has the title been changed please?

Also, why was my initial & polite first question asking the same thing removed please?
The title was changed to prevent FTers thinking this might be a free service, or a service offered by QR.

M
Old Sep 9, 2017, 9:38 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by msm2000uk
The title was changed to prevent FTers thinking this might be a free service, or a service offered by QR.

M
The service is offered by the QR website i.e. qatarairways.com.

Surely my initial post, including quoted prices at LHR, was a big clue that it wasn't a free service. Combined with the fact anyone following the link wouldn't be able to proceed without seeing that a quote would be needed before booking is another clue? Good grief. Interesting that the original generic title has been replaced to include the name of the private contractor involved though.

Again I ask can someone explain why my original question that mentioned this was removed please?

Edit: Are Blacklane providing this service on behalf of QR at every QR destination or just LHR?

2nd edit: Have answered my own question re: Blacklane. However can I add that the QR website advertises it as "our chauffeur service" & encourages potential customers to book the "Qatar Airways chauffeur service".

Last edited by impeymac; Sep 9, 2017 at 10:04 am Reason: Additional question added (& answered!)
Old Sep 9, 2017, 11:53 am
Original Poster

Questions answered in a PM from msm200uk along with some interesting two way discussion. Many thanks, M, now back on topic...

Anyone likely to use this service given the prices?
Old Sep 9, 2017, 8:08 pm
NoY

Programs: SQ *Gold, BA, QR, EY, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, Amex Platinum
Not at these prices.
If there was a premium of, say, 50%-ish (over local taxis etc) & the service was high quality/reliable, then yes.
If in London & going to LHR I have started using Addison Lee & am very happy with them so far.
Old Sep 10, 2017, 3:43 am

I had a look at the pricing for this. For me it would cost £96. Last week I booked an Uber to LHR and it was £32. Only if I wasn't paying for it would I consider it.
Old Sep 10, 2017, 7:23 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by impeymac
Questions answered in a PM from msm200uk along with some interesting two way discussion. Many thanks, M, now back on topic...

Anyone likely to use this service given the prices?
The prices are absolutely mad!

UberX (a Toyota Prius for example) from LHR-Central London is around £40 but a 13 minute wait once you have collected your bags.

Wheely (who use a Mercedes E class for example) for the same journey, is fixed at £50. They're very good with a minimal wait.

Addison Lee (who use a Ford Galaxy 'van') for the above, is around £65 but they're ultra-reliable with no waiting time.

Other options exist, but even for a Mercedes S Class from LHR-Central London, you'd likely pay around £80 - so the Black Lane prices are phenomenally high!

M
Old Sep 10, 2017, 9:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Maybe I'm an outlier, but I much prefer taking the Underground between the city and Heathrow. I usually stay someplace in the area between Knightsbridge and Leicester Square, which means that it's single train service between the city and the airport. I rarely have a giant suitcase (in which case I do opt for a taxi, Uber or hotel car), and I find the whole trip easy and convenient.
Old Sep 12, 2017, 5:36 am

Programs: Etihad Gold, Qatar Gold, flying Blue, Falcon, Lufthansa, Eva
In the UK Etihad used to offer us a free chauffeur (Sovereign) and their service was truly outstanding. Not only did etihad just get rid of the free service they offered us a paid option (very expensive) and got rid of Sovereign and replaced them with a far inferior company (in the name of cost cutting). despite their PR there has been no equivalent saving on the airfare for me so bye bye Etihad
Old Oct 1, 2017, 8:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
I priced out one of my frequent trips, from BKK to SGS. QR/Blacklane charges around USD $75 for a Mercedes E class, apparently including meet at the aircraft door. SGS charges USD $140 for the same service. So in that regard, it's a bargain.

But let's compare based on what I usually buy. I don't need to be met at the aircraft door. I just want the ride from the airport to hotel. SGS charges USD $72 for that. I didn't see an unbundling option with Blacklane to buy just the ride. So if you're looking for the meet/greet service, Blacklane might be a better choice.

But wait. Blacklane includes only one hour wait time. And you order the car for a specific time at the airport, not to meet a specific flight. What if your plane is delayed en route by, say, ATC? And what if your plane doesn't have Wifi so you can let Blacklane know? The hour runs out before you land and Blacklane leaves?

I'm going to guess that there are still some things to iron out.
Old Oct 2, 2017, 6:40 am

Programs: Not stuck with an Alliance anymore, Star gold, OW Saph
Just priced out , from BKK to my hotel near Chao Praya, QR partner charges 89$ ow wich is the same price the hotel charge me.
This is not bad if it's a pick up at the Aircraft door for whom who like it.

But I will continue to use the Hotel limo service.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 1:14 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent
I'll be trying the service out on Thanksgiving. I got $10 off my first ride, and I'd much prefer the reliability of a prebooked service against trying to catch an Uber or Cab out to Dulles. The price also appears to be competitive for my route.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 5:41 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
When Blacklane came to one of the towns I regularly travel to, they presented themselves as a higher end but cost-effective Uber alternative. I compared a couple of rates are they are double Uber Black, 2-3 times what a local company would charge, and several times what Uber would charge. Not sure I understand the business model. I'd never put one of their charges on an expense account.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.