Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Qatar to Oz in Economy

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2017, 3:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by hotwingz
You can check the loads on Expertflyer at check-in or directly ask if there is an empty row. If you go for the bulkhead or emergency seats you will have more legroom, but most likely no chance of getting a whole row to yourself as these tend to be at the back of the bus.
Long-haul in Y is all about managing expectations. Don't expect great food or champagne!

Ask for a bottle of water when boarding so you can stay hydrated and if you can get a free row, it is better than a middle seat on BA premium economy already :P
Ah, thanks, all very good advice, but don't worry, I'm actually still doing some regular (if thankfully minority) long haul Y travel so indeed, I have limited expectations (and wouldn't choose bulkhead/emergency if a full row is available as armrests tend to be immovable which kills the point, which would be to try and lay across 3 seats to try and get a bit of sleep!). It's just that I've never done it on QR, and never done it on an 18 hour flight (though I have on 13-14 hours and also on connecting Europe-Oz and Europe-Nz itineraries a few times). Still agree with all of your recommendations!
Old Aug 18, 2017, 11:04 am

Programs: QRPC Silver, BA Silver
sam Not sure if its changed since my last reward booking which was J -class DXB-DOH-LAX in Nov 16 - but when you book a reward ticket it doesn't actually show your status on the printed out sheets the crew get. I got pretty bored on the ~16hr flight DOH-LAX so was asking the crew about it and they didn't have anything down for me - even though obviously booked through my plat FF account. Apparently this is normal.

I think i remember them saying if you want it added you have to tell them at the check in desk... strange I know! I think this peculiarity only applies to the aircraft not any other part.

I'll standby for other FTers experiences but it certainly happened to me and I was told that was the norm! One to bear in mind anyway!
Old Aug 18, 2017, 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by theox
sam Not sure if its changed since my last reward booking which was J -class DXB-DOH-LAX in Nov 16 - but when you book a reward ticket it doesn't actually show your status on the printed out sheets the crew get. I got pretty bored on the ~16hr flight DOH-LAX so was asking the crew about it and they didn't have anything down for me - even though obviously booked through my plat FF account. Apparently this is normal.

I think i remember them saying if you want it added you have to tell them at the check in desk... strange I know! I think this peculiarity only applies to the aircraft not any other part.

I'll standby for other FTers experiences but it certainly happened to me and I was told that was the norm! One to bear in mind anyway!
Yes this seems to be the norm. Your PC number isn't on your boarding pass either. I did an experiment last month of handing my membership card over with my passport at checkin on the return leg of a redemption but saying nothing about adding it, and hey presto was greeted with "nice to see you again Mr Johnnieboy" upon boarding the aircraft which I hadn't been on the way out. Apart from that I didn't notice any difference at all
Old Aug 19, 2017, 6:47 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: Star Alliance Gold, Iberia Oro, SkyTeam - Elite Plus, Le Club Accor - Platinum
Having just used the 'First Class' lounge for Emerald's at Doha, I have to admit to being very pleasantly surprised. Having read nothing but negative reviews, I was expecting very little, but it was actually more than acceptable (In terms of environment, I preferred to Galleries First at LHR, tbh).
Old Aug 19, 2017, 8:40 am

Originally Posted by jackr27
Having just used the 'First Class' lounge for Emerald's at Doha, I have to admit to being very pleasantly surprised. Having read nothing but negative reviews, I was expecting very little, but it was actually more than acceptable (In terms of environment, I preferred to Galleries First at LHR, tbh).
Different people, different requirements and expectations.

I was totally fine with the Louis Tavern in BKK as it has some wine (don't care about brand) and a room where I could smoke. Others don't smoke and require Krug on free flow.

That's why I am trying to find video footage of seat and lounges I might book. Just to see if it is good for my requirements.
Old Aug 20, 2017, 10:03 am

Programs: QR Platinum, WY Gold, Shangri-la Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by impeymac
You're very welcome!

I'd rate the MH lounge above the SkyTeam lounge; quite pleasant with OK F&B, has fantastic views across LHR & is likely to be a lot closer to the QR gate. However, as you're aware even if the MH lounge is closed you won't exactly be slumming it in the ST lounge. Neither are a match for the QR lounge of course.

'Enjoy' your flights in Y, though I'm not sure that's the appropriate word!
It may be outdated information, but according to the MH website, the MH lounge opens 3 hours prior to departure. So with the evening MH departure normally scheduled around 9-10pm I don't think the MH lounge will be open for the 4pm QR departure. Hence why I've never managed to try the MH lounge, as I'm generally on an afternoon departure from LHR.

Happy to be corrected if this is wrong though
Old Aug 20, 2017, 10:45 am

Originally Posted by purple1addict
It may be outdated information, but according to the MH website, the MH lounge opens 3 hours prior to departure. So with the evening MH departure normally scheduled around 9-10pm I don't think the MH lounge will be open for the 4pm QR departure. Hence why I've never managed to try the MH lounge, as I'm generally on an afternoon departure from LHR.

Happy to be corrected if this is wrong though
MHs Golden Lounge is open from 3.00 to 21.30 according to the Oneworld website. There are 2 flights per day for MH plus all Oneworld status passengers in Y as they do not have access to QR's premium lounge and might prefer not to use the Skyteam lounge.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 1:19 pm

Programs: QR Platinum, WY Gold, Shangri-la Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by endet
MHs Golden Lounge is open from 3.00 to 21.30 according to the Oneworld website. There are 2 flights per day for MH plus all Oneworld status passengers in Y as they do not have access to QR's premium lounge and might prefer not to use the Skyteam lounge.
Ooh, interesting! I've always just gone by the MH website - but in that case I'm heading to the Golden lounge to check it out next time
Old Aug 25, 2017, 1:11 pm
sam
Original Poster

Programs: Qantas Gold; BA Silver; Virgin Australia Platinum; Virgin Atlantic Gold
I booked the upgradable economy ticket Lon to syd and they put in a request to release upgrade availability. It came back with no. I asked if they would check first (for Sydney leg only as I'm aware that you can't upgrade to first for London). The agent said that double upgrades were not possible. If this is the case then why does qcalculator give a price for a double upgrade?
Old Aug 25, 2017, 1:32 pm

sam the PC rules are very clear that two cabin class upgrades are not permitted. But on some regional flights there is no J cabin just Y and F. In these cases, and only in these cases, upgrades from Y to F are permitted as the next higher available cabin class.
Thus the Q calculator has to also take account of those flights, of which there are normally a large number.
Old Aug 26, 2017, 1:29 am

You are right though sam - although what remdk states is the black and white rule; when it prices a 'double upgrade' on non-regional routes (i.e. that with a 3-class aircraft, not the 2 class regionals) it is rather confusing as it also says you can't double upgrade (2 classes) in the rules. I actually once managed a Y to F upgrade in the airport in DOH using miles (don't ask how -I still don't even know myself! and it wasn't any form of op-up!)
Old Aug 26, 2017, 9:09 am
sam
Original Poster

Programs: Qantas Gold; BA Silver; Virgin Australia Platinum; Virgin Atlantic Gold
You are right though sam - although what remdk states is the black and white rule; when it prices a 'double upgrade' on non-regional routes (i.e. that with a 3-class aircraft, not the 2 class regionals) it is rather confusing as it also says you can't double upgrade (2 classes) in the rules. I actually once managed a Y to F upgrade in the airport in DOH using miles (don't ask how -I still don't even know myself! and it wasn't any form of op-up!)
You surprise me. I've never experienced any bending of rules with Qatar airways. This is one of the things that frustrates me about them. I will try it on anyway based on your experience. I assume that business class may also become available on the day.
Old Aug 27, 2017, 12:38 am

sam

Believe me - it surprised me too! Good luck with the upgrade anyway!
Old Aug 27, 2017, 1:05 am
sam
Original Poster

sam

Believe me - it surprised me too! Good luck with the upgrade anyway!
Thanks! I got DOH - LHR upgraded but it is the Sydney legs I really care about.
Old Aug 28, 2017, 3:11 pm

Programs: SQ KF GO, OZ GO, QR PC PLAT, TG ROP SL, LCAH SL, IHG SPIRE, Marriott BONVOY GO, HILTON GO
My 2 cents ..

Originally Posted by impeymac
As always it's each to their own, but I suspect you're in the minority.

Nice to have such good choices!
+1

Originally Posted by sam
I've chosen the LHR T4 MH lounge over the Qatar lounge on a number of occasions. If you like SE Asian food, it is much better. Better drinks too and all self service (which I prefer).
Not if you are from SE Asia

The QR lounge staff are fantastic! I understand some people may not like the attentive table service but I find that way more acceptable than the surly front desk Chinese "Aunty" (she ain't no lady) at the MH lounge.
She shouldn't be in a customer facing role at all.

The SkyTeam lounge is pretty good too but I think the winner IMO, is the QR lounge because of the awesome staff.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.