Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How strict is hand baggage enforced?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2017, 9:58 pm

Programs: Qatar Platinum, One World Emerald, IHG Platinum Elite
I have done multiple sectors in J with a Rimowa Topas 34L and a Tumi briefcase with no problems at all. My hand luggage has never been weighed. Even when traveling in Y and using Business check in as Platinum, they never have bugged me about the bags. This has been at multiple originating airports in Asia, the US and Europe. Although I do remember when I did not have status, the check in folks at JFK routinely weighed my carry ons and asked me to reduce the weight if over. I think status, particularly Gold or Platinum, counts for a lot when traveling in Economy for this. But in Business, unless is completely obvious, I think there will never be any problems.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 11:51 am

Programs: BA Silver, Amex, Shell V Power
Originally Posted by robertr
SYD-DOH May 24 - 2 pieces hand luggage both weighed & weight was written on labels as 7 & 8
BUD -DOH June 8 was asked to put both hand luggage on scale (both within limits).

Is that unlucky given previous comments here?

Business Class ticket.
When we flew from ADL to DOH the check-in staff weighed our luggage in business class however, they did not seem to worried if you were slightly over. They did not write down our weight on the tags, I wonder if that is new as we flew in December.
Old Jun 26, 2017, 11:39 pm

I don't think I've ever had my bag checked for weight, my usual route is PER-UK and return and I usually travel with a Dunhill Bladon 48hr bag and the amount of leather in that thing weighs enough when empty.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 2:20 am

Hello All,

I was flying from BKK to Europe in Y on Qatar Airways 9am morning flight on Saturday 24 June.

At checkin in BKK at Business Class counter (PC Plat), I was challenged by the staff. I had one carry-on luggage - and a garment bag for my suit, total weight 9,4kg.
Was informed that the limit is 1 carry-on of 7 kg, and I had two carry-ons (luggage and garment bag) weighing more than 7kg, so had to check one of them in.

So I ended up by checked all in... because that is the rule. I find 7 kg on the very low side - It is not easy to keep within 7kg for a 1 week travel, which I do at least 2 times/month.

(As a PC Plat, you can us F/J checkin counters and get additional 20kgs checkin luggage allowance or additional suitcase if piece concept applies. I would like to see Qatar Airways to also allow Platinum members the same carry on allowances as business class passengers, that would be a great benefit, of course subject to conform with safety at all times).

I remember one time at checkin in BKK with QR Biz counter, the passenger in front of me (PC Gold) travelling in Y was told he had to many kgs for his carry-on and had to check-in his carry-on suitcase.
I travelled in business and when I checked in, none of my carry-ons were weighed... and I traveled with 1 carry-on suitcase, 1 computer bag and 1 garment bag (so 3 carry-ons).
It seems to make a difference travelling in Y or J in terms of how the rules are being enforced, even at the exact same checkin counters.

Funny thing, when i boarded the flight on Saturday in Y... I noticed some of the passengers had suitcases that seemed to be much more than 7 kgs as carry-on (based on how difficult it was for the passenger to lift them into the overhead compartments), and some even had several big and heavy travel bags with them (2-4 pieces).

My unproven theory is that out of BKK, if travelling in Y, then you get more relaxed checkin staff if checking in at the normal Y counters, rather than at the F/J counters (as PC Plat/Gold member).

Anyone has opinion, experiences or comments to this?

Out of BKK, you can also get the online boarding pass, and then avoid the checkin counter and hope you will not be challenged at the gate when boarding.

Namlakhorm
Old Jun 27, 2017, 5:11 am

Programs: Skywards, Silver
Its really interesting how differently the rules are handled depending on where you check in.
Flew with Qatar last October. CPH-DOH-HND.

Was carrying my usual laptop-bag and a sweater, as I tend to get quite cold on my flights.
At CPH there were no issues. My laptop bag was not even given a tag.

On the return-trip however... oh boy.
The staff at HND and NRT are some of fussiest I have encountered, and I use these airports frequently.
The lady at check-in gave me a long berating about the carry-on rules, and how the sweater under my arm counted as a second carry-on item. I simply put it in my computer bag, and the problem was solved.
Still, it was very hard not to laugh at the situation.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 7:42 am

Originally Posted by Marc Liljeqvist
Its really interesting how differently the rules are handled depending on where you check in.
Flew with Qatar last October. CPH-DOH-HND.

Was carrying my usual laptop-bag and a sweater, as I tend to get quite cold on my flights.
At CPH there were no issues. My laptop bag was not even given a tag.

On the return-trip however... oh boy.
The staff at HND and NRT are some of fussiest I have encountered, and I use these airports frequently.
The lady at check-in gave me a long berating about the carry-on rules, and how the sweater under my arm counted as a second carry-on item. I simply put it in my computer bag, and the problem was solved.
hi Marcthank you for your post.
I assume/understand it as you were traveling in Y from HND/NRT. Do you have any experiences in difference of rule approach by checkin staff when traveling in J?

I have often travelled from CPH on QR both in Y and J, and I have always received great service at check-in being QR Plat. CPH is a fine little airport, I just hope QR will change their lounge to the new Eventyr Lounge after immigration which is quite more nice than the current aspire lounge.

nam
Old Jun 27, 2017, 9:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Same as with any airline.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 3:42 pm

Programs: DL/UA
When i was at MIA they weighed my carry-on. Once they weighed it they put a tag that it was weighed. At the gate, they had folks around checking the carryons with that tag. If you didnt have it they would weigh it to make sure it was 7 kg
Old Jun 27, 2017, 7:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by ace587
When i was at MIA they weighed my carry-on. Once they weighed it they put a tag that it was weighed. At the gate, they had folks around checking the carryons with that tag. If you didnt have it they would weigh it to make sure it was 7 kg
J or Y?
Old Jun 27, 2017, 8:15 pm

I would have just put it on
Old Jun 28, 2017, 1:42 am

Marc Liljeqvist please remember the hand baggge rules also include:
"In addition to your hand baggage allowance, you can also carry personal items such as one lady’s handbag or one small briefcase; one coat, cape or blanket; one umbrella; one pair of crutches or a walking stick; one small camera or binoculars; limited reading material; an infant’s carrying basket; and duty-free items purchased on the day of your flight."
Note in particular "carry personal items such as". Your sweater should be covered!
Old Jun 28, 2017, 4:32 am

Programs: Skywards, Silver
I do think that particular lady was a bit too serious. But as I said, its not out of the ordinary when travelling from Japan.
Not that anyone has ever made a fuss about my sweater before or after, but they do seem to be more strict at HND and NRT compared to the more lax nature of many of the airports in Europe, and especially in the middle east.

For Doha and Dubai, I have never experienced any trouble, unless my hand luggage looked like it was carrying a ton of bricks
Old Jun 28, 2017, 5:44 am

Programs: QR Platinum
To add another data point. I was recently checking in in HAN (Qr Plat; C ticket) with an almost empty carry-on trolley, a very small backpack (holding my toiletry and my tablet only) and a photograph on canvas (about 70 cm high) which I couldn't check in. The lady at premium check in called the supervisor as she was worried about 3 carry on items. The supervisor then said that they have to call Doha as they are worried that my next flights in C could be too full for 3 items (sounds somewhat strange to me given the ample storage room in C) . I startet to stow my backpack in my trolley which would result in compliance to the 2 items rule. they begged me to wait until I got the "go" finally.
Old Jul 3, 2017, 3:53 pm

Today at LHR they were weighing the carry-on bags of all Y passengers and it looked like they meant business!
Old Jul 4, 2017, 6:32 am

Programs: Latinpass Million Miler. BA Gold.
The only place I've ever been challenged on hand baggage on QR was at BKK (travelling C)- nowhere else has it been a problem, and while I don't take the p, it is admittedly usually over 7 kg.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.