Search

Unlocking Row 1 on QR

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2017, 5:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold (OWE) -- FB Platinum -- *A Gold
Smile Unlocking Row 1 on QR

Hello everyone,

Just a quick query regarding the seat request for OW Sapphire on QR.
I'm currently booked from TUN to HGH in mid-July, having reserved 2K for the whole of my trip. I will fly the four legs on the A332 and I'm not quite sure whether the seat will be the Minipod or the Diamond.
In case it is the latter, I would love to be able to move forward as I've noticed during my last trip that the ottoman is much bigger in the first row.

Therefore my question is: as a OW Sapphire from BA, when can I potentially unlock those seats?

Thank you!
Old Jun 15, 2017, 1:07 am

Programs: QR PC Platinum
Originally Posted by The Young Traveller
Hello everyone,

Just a quick query regarding the seat request for OW Sapphire on QR.
I'm currently booked from TUN to HGH in mid-July, having reserved 2K for the whole of my trip. I will fly the four legs on the A332 and I'm not quite sure whether the seat will be the Minipod or the Diamond.
In case it is the latter, I would love to be able to move forward as I've noticed during my last trip that the ottoman is much bigger in the first row.

Therefore my question is: as a OW Sapphire from BA, when can I potentially unlock those seats?

Thank you!
Unfortunately they can only be opened during airport check-in unless it's a bassinet seat and you require that.

Make sure you are there early. I have always been able to get row 1 at airport check-in.
Old Jun 15, 2017, 1:36 am

The Young Traveller welcome to the QR forum. You will find that the QR dashboard is a useful tool for finding information.

In almost all cabins on QR aircraft the front (exit) row also contains the bassinets and thus the entire row is reserved for that purpose. These seats are released to all passengers when it is certain that the bassinets are not required.
This usually happens when airport check-in opens but sometimes before that. It depends upon the origin office. They are then on a first come first served basis so to capture one you need to be at the front of the queue when check-in opens.
OW status has absolutely no influence upon your ability to get front row seats
Ursa81 likes this.
Old Jun 15, 2017, 2:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by remdk
The Young Traveller welcome to the QR forum. You will find that the QR dashboard is a useful tool for finding information.
I took a look and didn't see anything about row 1 seating assignments; although I'll be the first to acknowledge that I may well have missed it. The A330 section does not appear to be launched yet.
Old Jun 15, 2017, 2:56 am

I have taken a few flights on the A340 - 600 and on all of my flights, the seats in row 1 opened up a few days before the flight, not when online check in opened. I am QR Gold, so not sure if that has any effect on it.

And the ottomans in row 1 are WAY bigger on the diamond. It literally makes the seat so much better.
Ursa81 likes this.
Old Jun 15, 2017, 2:57 am

Programs: BAEC Gold [>20k Lifetime TPs] | Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond [as is Mrs PtF] | Various Others
A month ago, on behalf of my 20 year old son (Master PtF - BAEC Gold/OW Emerald), I was able to assign seat 1E on three of four legs of a QR CAI-DOH-MIA-DOH-CAI late August/early September itinerary (the fact that it is an ex-CAI trip is another story!). Row 1 availability opened up, having been unavailable at the time of booking.

The one sector I wasn't able to assign a row 1 seat was that currently scheduled to be operated by an A333, the other three sectors being operated by a 773.

However I'm not sure his OW status had anything to do with his ability to secure row 1 seats. Accordingly I wouldn't attach too much importance to any link between OW status and QR seat assignment.
Old Jun 15, 2017, 7:48 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
I also thought that row 1/other bulkhead seats (such as row 5 on the 777) were restricted to airport check-in assignment, but for my JFK-DOH-JFK flights on the 777 in October, I'm seeing select row 1 and 5 seats open for assignment online: 1EF and 5ABJK, IIRC. Not sure if my Sapphire status has anything to do with that.
Ursa81 likes this.
Old Jun 15, 2017, 8:01 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by dkc192
I'm seeing select row 1 and 5 seats open for assignment online: 1EF and 5ABJK, IIRC. Not sure if my Sapphire status has anything to do with that.
Be prepared to get bumped for a bassinet. Only way to "unlock it"
Old Jun 15, 2017, 8:20 am

dkc192 it would appear that QR at your origin are reverting to the blocking pattern of the B787s when they were introduced. Seats 1A and 1K are the actual seats with bassinets and were always blocked. 1E and 1F were available. About a year ago all row 1 seats were blocked.

However since you say a 777 I suspect that you may have a retrofitted 773 aircraft with Qsuites where blocking of seats will probably be different.

That is just a guess on my part because we do not know how many retrofitted 773s there will be at that time or where they will be deployed.
Old Jun 15, 2017, 3:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold (OWE) -- FB Platinum -- *A Gold
Thank you all for your answers!

So following your instructions, I shall just try my luck during the online check-in and come early to the airport!

Let's see what happen Thanks!
Old Jun 16, 2017, 2:53 am

Originally Posted by remdk
dkc192 it would appear that QR at your origin are reverting to the blocking pattern of the B787s when they were introduced. Seats 1A and 1K are the actual seats with bassinets and were always blocked. 1E and 1F were available. About a year ago all row 1 seats were blocked.
I have once been able to select 1A on a 787.
Old Jun 16, 2017, 1:41 pm

FlyingScientist as I said in post 3 of this thread 'These seats are released to all passengers when it is certain that the bassinets are not required. This usually happens when airport check-in opens but sometimes before that.'
This is decided by the origin QR office so, as so often said before, there is 'Consistent inconsistency'!
The risk of random release of front row seats is also why you should frequently check to see if they have been released not only just around check-in.
Ursa81 likes this.
Old Jun 16, 2017, 7:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by jah718
I have taken a few flights on the A340 - 600 and ... the ottomans in row 1 are WAY bigger on the diamond. It literally makes the seat so much better.
I fly the 346 somewhat regularly between CMB and DOH. While what you say is true, I don't like the front row in that a/c because, unlike many other aircraft, I find the galley goings-on both perceptible and slightly annoying.
Old Jun 26, 2018, 3:48 pm
Suspended

Programs: Many
I am flying TUN-DOH-KUL and row 1 is blocked on my flights as well. No shot before OLCI?
Old Jun 27, 2018, 4:39 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
I am flying TUN-DOH-KUL and row 1 is blocked on my flights as well. No shot before OLCI?
Usually not. It usually becomes selectable during airport check-in...

Come early and it should be available.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.