Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

can i use my qmiles to upgrade my friend from coach to business

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2017, 10:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, BA, QR

the qr website does not address this, anyone with info or experience doing this?

thanks,
Old May 13, 2017, 12:47 am

ibr2008 you may use your Qmiles to upgrade anyone you wish. The only restriction seems to be that airport upgrades require that you are travelling with the person upgraded.
Please remember http://www.qatarairways.com/Privileg...ge?mid=5&sid=1 says
"Bookings made in Economy Promo Fare Family (RBDs – O, T , W and G) are not eligible for redemption upgrades."
RBD = ticket class!
Old May 13, 2017, 3:55 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by remdk
ibr2008 you may use your Qmiles to upgrade anyone you wish. The only restriction seems to be that airport upgrades require that you are travelling with the person upgraded.
Please remember http://www.qatarairways.com/Privileg...ge?mid=5&sid=1 says
"Bookings made in Economy Promo Fare Family (RBDs O, T , W and G) are not eligible for redemption upgrades."
RBD = ticket class!
thank you, there is no reference to using your miles for someone else anywhere on their website
Old May 13, 2017, 4:11 am

ibr2008 the only place it is mentioned is on http://www.qatarairways.com/Privileg...ge?mid=5&sid=2 where it says
"Members will also be able to redeem for an upgrade for a companion travelling on the same flight with them."
also if you look at Terms and Conditions it states
"How to spend your Qmiles
13.1 If you are a Main Member, you can redeem Qmiles for a variety of Awards on Qatar Airways and its Partners. Depending on the type of Award, you can choose who benefits: it could be you or any other individual of your choice." (My bold)
Old May 13, 2017, 4:50 am

Programs: QR Gold, ITA Club Executive, Hilton Gold, GHA Titanium, Taj Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Gold Elite
Originally Posted by ibr2008
the qr website does not address this, anyone with info or experience doing this?

thanks,
I've done this - not an issue. Just call them to get it done at the quickest. Just inform them that the friend will not be traveling with you but is on a separate flight.
Old May 14, 2017, 9:35 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by remdk
ibr2008 the only place it is mentioned is on http://www.qatarairways.com/Privileg...ge?mid=5&sid=2 where it says
"Members will also be able to redeem for an upgrade for a companion travelling on the same flight with them."
also if you look at Terms and Conditions it states
"How to spend your Qmiles
13.1 If you are a Main Member, you can redeem Qmiles for a variety of Awards on Qatar Airways and its Partners. Depending on the type of Award, you can choose who benefits: it could be you or any other individual of your choice." (My bold)
QR policies on this are stupid. Why do they require people to travel on the same flight !!!

I was traveling with my parents a couple of years ago from JFK to India. We traveled together till Doha, they were going to Bangalore and me to Delhi. I had 4 lounge passes but they said my parents had to be on the same flight as me to be able to use the passes !!! The person making the rules has way too much time on their hands. I have not been able to use even one of the 4 passes I received each year for 6 years 2008-2013 !!!
Old May 14, 2017, 9:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lifeonthego_k
I've done this - not an issue. Just call them to get it done at the quickest. Just inform them that the friend will not be traveling with you but is on a separate flight.
this is encouraging,

how do I check if an upgrade seat is available before my friend books the seat in coach in one of the allowable classes?

please let me know which number you called, I am in US, calling Qatar is expensive but some of the other countries are not.

thank you
Old May 16, 2017, 11:26 pm

Programs: QR Gold, ITA Club Executive, Hilton Gold, GHA Titanium, Taj Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Gold Elite
Check business class award seat availability on QR's website. If it's not a 2x award redemption (which many are) that means the seat is available for upgrade (if a seat is marked as 2x then it will not be available for an upgrade). Then call QR's priority service line (if you are a Gold or Platinum member) or standard customer service to double check seat availability for upgrade and also to confirm that you are allowed to upgrade a friend who you are not flying with (I did this back in 2015, so the rules may have changed). To be honest, calling the Qatari service center is the best. But you can first try call the US centre, if they can help you.
Old May 17, 2017, 6:26 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lifeonthego_k
Check business class award seat availability on QR's website. If it's not a 2x award redemption (which many are) that means the seat is available for upgrade (if a seat is marked as 2x then it will not be available for an upgrade). Then call QR's priority service line (if you are a Gold or Platinum member) or standard customer service to double check seat availability for upgrade and also to confirm that you are allowed to upgrade a friend who you are not flying with (I did this back in 2015, so the rules may have changed). To be honest, calling the Qatari service center is the best. But you can first try call the US centre, if they can help you.
thank you, will report back
Old May 17, 2017, 9:02 am

Originally Posted by ibr2008
QR policies on this are stupid. Why do they require people to travel on the same flight !!!

I was traveling with my parents a couple of years ago from JFK to India. We traveled together till Doha, they were going to Bangalore and me to Delhi. I had 4 lounge passes but they said my parents had to be on the same flight as me to be able to use the passes !!! The person making the rules has way too much time on their hands. I have not been able to use even one of the 4 passes I received each year for 6 years 2008-2013 !!!
ibr2008 when you say "QR policies on this are stupid" I have to disagree. If you clicked on the link you would see that the quote applies to
"Upgrade at the airport" only! There are no such restrictions for other upgrade types. Te restriction is to prevent misuse of your card and account.

With regard to lounge guests the rules you refer to were abandoned in 2013. Now the Oneworld rules apply. As https://www.oneworld.com/ffp/lounge-access says
"Emerald and Sapphire members may invite one guest to join them in the lounge. The guest must also be travelling on a flight operated and marketed by a oneworld carrier." No same flight now! The rules for lounge passes are supposed to be similar to the OW rules.

Last edited by remdk; May 17, 2017 at 10:02 am Reason: added lounge access.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.