Search

Equipment on DOH - AKL

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2017, 1:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA ExPlat 4MM, AA Life Plat, Lufthansa FT, Delta Basic
Equipment on DOH - AKL

Hello,

With both EK and EY providing all A 380 service to Sydney and EK doing the same to AKL, QR finds itself at a big disadvantage with its offer of a mediocre 777 hard product in Business Class, and this on the World's longest route.

Is there any plan to upgrade the equipment to A 380 or A 350 / B787-8/9 (assuming that the two latter have long enough legs to fly that distance) ?

Alternatively, is there any plan to prioritize the equipment of the 777-200 with Q suites ?

Thank you.
Old May 6, 2017, 2:00 am

Cofyknsult this has been discussed on the http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar...l#post28119285 thread. It is thought that the A350-1000 may have the range required. But the discussion above was inconclusive because of differing units of measure. (Kilometers, statutory miles snd nautical miles!) being used. The B787s do not appear to have the range.
The plan for retrofitting the Qsuites has been to retrofit the 773s first then the 772s and A350s.
Old May 6, 2017, 3:27 am

Lol...STATUTE miles.
Old May 6, 2017, 3:59 am

Programs: BAEC
I found there to be nothing mediocre about the 777-200 on my trip to and from AKL, in fact for longer flights like AKL I really prefer the space that the 777 offers. I accept that it's different to the 787 and 350 cabin arrangements but I guess it's all down to personal preferences. Assuming there is not an equipment change I'm due to be on the 350 for the longish flights to/from HND later this year and would probably prefer the 777 but am equally happy with the 350.
Old May 6, 2017, 4:03 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Not exactly sure how the 777-200 is necessarily inferior. Sure the hard product is older, but is it really so much inferior than other products on the market? EK has a 2-3-2 configuration on their 777, which still are the backbone of their fleet. Many other operators use 2-2-2 configurations as well.
Old May 6, 2017, 4:53 am

Programs: BA GGL
Originally Posted by plunet
I found there to be nothing mediocre about the 777-200 on my trip to and from AKL, in fact for longer flights like AKL I really prefer the space that the 777 offers. I accept that it's different to the 787 and 350 cabin arrangements but I guess it's all down to personal preferences. Assuming there is not an equipment change I'm due to be on the 350 for the longish flights to/from HND later this year and would probably prefer the 777 but am equally happy with the 350.
I agree, I was very happy with the 777 in business on this route, I can't say the A350 on the leg from Munich or the 787 I've been on before was neccesarily better unless as a solo traveller perhaps.
Old May 6, 2017, 8:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
It's a perfectly fine plane indeed. I doubt QR will have the need for a 388 on the route any time soon, as others have pointed out, the 351 is more likely though my guess is that fuel savings would be a bigger reason than supposed quality disadvantage. QR offers a very good product, better than EK in many respects. I'm surprised to hear that EY are flying a 388 to AKL I must say.
Old May 6, 2017, 8:46 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by orbitmic
I'm surprised to hear that EY are flying a 388 to AKL I must say.
Read the post again. OP said that EY is flying the A380 to SYD and that EK would fly the A380 to both SYD and AKL. Surprisingly, OP seems to forget that QR flies the A380 to SYD as well. I doubt that EY or QR will ever deploy the A380 on a regular basis on that route. Their A380 fleet is simply to small, whereas EK has probably too many on their hands.
Old May 6, 2017, 9:25 am

Here we go again. How many times did we already discuss "how bad" QR's 777 BC hard product is? Maybe we should already create a sticky thread dedicate to QR fleet and FAQs related to it?
Old May 6, 2017, 1:34 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Mucci
Originally Posted by booogle
I agree, I was very happy with the 777 in business on this route, I can't say the A350 on the leg from Munich or the 787 I've been on before was neccesarily better unless as a solo traveller perhaps.
I agree as well, I really liked the 777-200LR hard product. As someone who is always flying BA, the QR seat is far more spacious both in width and pitch. It's also just a nicer setup and you don't feel claustrophobic. I slept fairly well on my AKL trip and I don't sleep on BA at all usually.
Old May 6, 2017, 2:12 pm

maxvor look at http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar...l#post28085004 and you will find one of the threads you are looking for.

On the QR forum we try to avoid sticky threads and use the QR dashboard. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar...dashboard.html. Here you will find not only a fleet guide thread but also threads for most of QRs aircraft types.
Old May 7, 2017, 3:43 am

Originally Posted by remdk
maxvor look at http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar...l#post28085004 and you will find one of the threads you are looking for.

On the QR forum we try to avoid sticky threads and use the QR dashboard. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar...dashboard.html. Here you will find not only a fleet guide thread but also threads for most of QRs aircraft types.
Thank you for referencing!
Having flown most of the QR's long-haul configuarations in J and F, i'm well aware of advantages and shortcomings of every of those. I was merely poiniting to the fact that labeling 777 BC as "mediocre" became a required attribute in every thread related to routing served by these aircraft types, discussing this topic again and again. And most of this labeling comes from people who never flew it, while those who did generally put it close to the top of their preference list even when compared to B787 and A350. And now, whole new topic to discuss how "bad" this hard product is. Just wondering how it could be done more clear that there is no need to discuss it again, not to say not to start a new thread on this topic.
Old May 8, 2017, 5:06 am

Originally Posted by maxvor
Thank you for referencing!
Having flown most of the QR's long-haul configuarations in J and F, i'm well aware of advantages and shortcomings of every of those. I was merely poiniting to the fact that labeling 777 BC as "mediocre" became a required attribute in every thread related to routing served by these aircraft types, discussing this topic again and again. And most of this labeling comes from people who never flew it, while those who did generally put it close to the top of their preference list even when compared to B787 and A350. And now, whole new topic to discuss how "bad" this hard product is. Just wondering how it could be done more clear that there is no need to discuss it again, not to say not to start a new thread on this topic.
I am quite content with the 777 C, the leg room is almost decadent, but I always travel QR C with +1. I can totally understand why a solo traveler would prefer the 350/380/787 seats.
Old May 8, 2017, 6:29 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Another vote of confidence for the B777 from me! So much more room on that compared with the B787 on my connection.
Old May 8, 2017, 6:44 am

Programs: Aer Lingus, United, Virgin Atlantic, Qatar
+1 here on the 777

Have flown it on the DOH-PER route and short of no wifi I could not fault it at all.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.