Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

Article - Why I disliked Qatar Airways Al Mourjan Business Class Lounge

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Article - Why I disliked Qatar Airways Al Mourjan Business Class Lounge

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2017, 4:07 pm

Programs: QF WP, AA EXP
On my recent first and so far only visit to Al Mourjan for a shower yielded the same result. Didn't really think anything of it at the time - more so as a South Asian invasion of space cultural thing - but the guy wanted to make small talk and didn't want to seem to leave. Never even thought of tipping him because it's just something I don't do in premium lounges, nor should ever be expected.

I thought it was just me or this one guy, but the comments put it into a different perspective.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 10:47 pm

Programs: Qatar Airways Privilege Club Platinum; Accor Le Club Platinum
Hmmm, if the lounge shower attendants are now on the hustle for handouts, I for one am going to start having words with management. Though to be fair, I have not used one of the shower facilities in AM or AS for about a year so it could have been a learnt practice, or maybe it is much ado about nothing.
Old Apr 19, 2017, 12:13 am

Programs: QR Gold
Having used the showers regularly in the past year, I found the attendants to be courteous but not hanging around for tips. Only irritation was the refusal to give a hair dryer at the start of the shower - which I guess is outside the individual attendant's control.
Old Apr 19, 2017, 2:35 am

Programs: BA Gold, Mucci
Well for me, I said thank you (indicating dismissal), he didn't move, so I did a pointed "Thank you very much!" with a big smile, then made a point of turning away and washing my hands. When I was done, he was still just stood in the doorway watching.

At this stage I became totally uncomfortable with the whole thing, said, "Thanks!" again and turned around. At a loss, I looked at the towels for a few moments and surveyed the shower stall.

Turning around, he was still there looking at me, so I just walked over and smilingly shut the door in his face. It wasn't great. It's not in my nature to shut the door on someone standing right there looking right at you.

Someone will no doubt make a point about etiquette in the Middle East and how I have made a faux pas, but I truly found it really uncomfortable. I'm happy to hear if I have made an error here of course, but that is how it was for me and how I felt.
Old Apr 19, 2017, 4:32 am

Originally Posted by FlightDetective
Well for me, I said thank you (indicating dismissal), he didn't move, so I did a pointed "Thank you very much!" with a big smile, then made a point of turning away and washing my hands. When I was done, he was still just stood in the doorway watching.

At this stage I became totally uncomfortable with the whole thing, said, "Thanks!" again and turned around. At a loss, I looked at the towels for a few moments and surveyed the shower stall.

Turning around, he was still there looking at me, so I just walked over and smilingly shut the door in his face. It wasn't great. It's not in my nature to shut the door on someone standing right there looking right at you.

Someone will no doubt make a point about etiquette in the Middle East and how I have made a faux pas, but I truly found it really uncomfortable. I'm happy to hear if I have made an error here of course, but that is how it was for me and how I felt.
FlightDetective, it could be that you are just THAT good looking and he found it hard to take his eyes off you!?
Old Apr 19, 2017, 5:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by FlightDetective
No-one expects you to understand the nitty-gritties of each countries approach to tipping. At least I don't !

I was pointing out that the attendants are likely to have been "corrupted" by wayward tippers importing their country's tipping philosophy. (Not pointing fingers, but a tip jar placed next to the un-manned buffet in a LAX hotel lounge caught my attention some weeks' back....).

This has led to the lads learning and honing a behaviour which some customers find uncomfortable. Reinforcing the behaviour by tipping against one's better judgement leads to ever more attentive behaviour . So I guess the message is trust your judgement.
Old Apr 19, 2017, 6:10 am

Programs: BA Gold, Mucci
Originally Posted by SullyofDoha
FlightDetective, it could be that you are just THAT good looking and he found it hard to take his eyes off you!?
Hahahaha! Well, I doubt that, but thanks for the laugh!

Originally Posted by IAN-UK
No-one expects you to understand the nitty-gritties of each countries approach to tipping. At least I don't !

I was pointing out that the attendants are likely to have been "corrupted" by wayward tippers importing their country's tipping philosophy. (Not pointing fingers, but a tip jar placed next to the un-manned buffet in a LAX hotel lounge caught my attention some weeks' back....).

This has led to the lads learning and honing a behaviour which some customers find uncomfortable. Reinforcing the behaviour by tipping against one's better judgement leads to ever more attentive behaviour . So I guess the message is trust your judgement.
I completely understand where you're coming from and you are totally right on that point. I'll see how I go next time I go through there. Hopefully it will be a different experience all round.
Old Apr 19, 2017, 6:28 am

Programs: QR-G/OWS, QF-G, VA-G, NZ-S
Originally Posted by makrom
Yeah just give us ventilated toilet rooms please. This is an oversight that can't be compensated with a whole army of attendants.
+1 for that...air con would be better..
. just no thought, sadly, in the conception or execution. Cheers,
Old Apr 21, 2017, 4:41 am

Programs: CA Gold, EY Silver HHons Diamond
I think the perception of the ME3 lounges can be coloured by the fact that a lot of people are transiting to and from long connections and probably aren't in the right frame of mind to fully appreciate them.

I find I have a lot more positive opinions of lounges when I'm starting a trip. That is of course apart from PEK where they are all complete bobbins.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 6:32 am

Programs: BA Silver
Definitely agree with the poor ventilation in the showers. Maybe it's a devious plot to stop people from loitering in there after their showers so that they can turnover the showers quickly for other passengers to use...

On the article, I can see some valid points. The attendants can be a little intrusive but if I was in their shoes I would probably do the same thing if there is a chance of getting a tip from a passenger from providing attentive service. Personally, I have never felt pressured to tip and a simple assertive "thank you" with a smile has always done the job in getting them to leave me alone.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 9:14 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Yup, totally agree on two counts... the showers are way too hot and I end up endlessly drying myself and still end up walking out damp. I tend to leave the shower on cold afterwards, it tends to help.

And secondly.. the shower attendants. Definitely too overbearing by my standards.. I had to close the door on mine too because he was just stood there. When I came out he was joined with another guy who made it very uncomfortable and very obvious when I was walking out.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 10:12 am

I did not experience any 'harassment' by the shower attendant when I used it two weeks ago. He simply showed me the shower room and left. When I came out of the shower room, he was no where to be found.
Not sure if it's a busy period in the shower rooms or that I'm a relatively young Asian (who might be deemed less likely to tip).
Old Apr 21, 2017, 4:48 pm

Programs: TK E,*G, A-Club G
Funny replies here, shower etc

I'll have 3 hours to spend around midnight at AM next week, probably will head to the showers immediately with the risk of having to wait 30 minutes...and indeed having to sweat after a shower is rather stupid.

Now I am not a fan of AM, finding AM to begin with: badly indicated, turned around a few times near the duty free area looking for the staircase and lounge dragons beneath, don't like the entrance with wall (go left or right? ask to manned desk? don't don't like the island in the middle, don't like the lake either, don't like you only can get coffee or water at the drink stations,
in fact all this ME way of showing "grandiosity" which it is not.

I won't miss the restaurant menu neither, always had to ask for it regardless the 20 waiters walking around doing nothing.

Yep, it's a first world problem, BKK Thai Royal silk lounge is worse and the BA BRU lounge for the return is not worth mentionning.
If departing at E gates will try the "first class" section at the right hand side.
But the Royal Silk showers at E gates are good.
I must ignore the Thai lounge before you reach the D gates (the long one with windows on the corridor) I guess there is an other one right above the D gates?
Old Apr 22, 2017, 6:51 am

Originally Posted by tartempion
Funny replies here, shower etc

I'll have 3 hours to spend around midnight at AM next week, probably will head to the showers immediately with the risk of having to wait 30 minutes...and indeed having to sweat after a shower is rather stupid.

Now I am not a fan of AM, finding AM to begin with: badly indicated, turned around a few times near the duty free area looking for the staircase and lounge dragons beneath, don't like the entrance with wall (go left or right? ask to manned desk? don't don't like the island in the middle, don't like the lake either, don't like you only can get coffee or water at the drink stations,
in fact all this ME way of showing "grandiosity" which it is not.

I won't miss the restaurant menu neither, always had to ask for it regardless the 20 waiters walking around doing nothing.

Yep, it's a first world problem, BKK Thai Royal silk lounge is worse and the BA BRU lounge for the return is not worth mentionning.
If departing at E gates will try the "first class" section at the right hand side.
But the Royal Silk showers at E gates are good.
I must ignore the Thai lounge before you reach the D gates (the long one with windows on the corridor) I guess there is an other one right above the D gates?
Yep, Thai Royal Silk is a bit underwhelming. Just about finished my lounge tour in BKK. Cathay Pacific is good (champagne) but closes at 7pm on Saturday, while the new JAL lounge is a mear two minute walk away and has some decent snacks and prosecco. BTW, the banana cakes is great!
Old Apr 22, 2017, 7:10 am

Programs: GarudaMiles, Qatar Privilege Club, Miles&More
Originally Posted by tartempion
BA BRU lounge for the return is not worth mentionning.
I think it's a decent lounge though considering BA only flies BRU-LHR which is a very short flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.