Search

Check stroller only to Doha

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2017, 1:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: Miles and More, BAEC
Check stroller only to Doha

Hi,

we will be travelling shortly FRA-DOH-SYD in J with QR and will have a 20hrs layover in Doha. As we travel with an infant of 8month we do need a stroller in Doha. I know that QR does generally not allow to short check any baggage. They are offering the free stroller at the airport (which can not be taken outside so not really helpful). I do somehow recall to have read here that one might be able to convice the check-in agents to short check a stroller. Does anybody have any expirience with that in FRA?
Or anybody who faced the same issue has any advice what to do?
Thanks
Old Feb 7, 2017, 10:17 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH SEN , A3*G & others less exciting that don't fit in my wallet
Have had success with this in the past in JNB and SIN, but it was a struggle - especially in JNB ... They really are not keen on doing this ... had to be done with a hand written tag and warned that it might not work .. but it did turn up on the carousel in Doha.

I would consider brining some sort of sling carrier as a back up plan anyway .. Doha isn't the sort of place you'll be doing a lot of walking anyway ( though obviously a sling isn't much good for napping and giving the parents a break ! )
Old Feb 7, 2017, 9:13 pm

I used ExpertFlyer to pull up fare rules of the cheapeset QR one-way coach fare FRA-SYD. As I understand it, most or all QR fares should be identical in this respect.

The fare provides in relevant part (bold by me):

IF THE STOPOVER IN DOHA BETWEEN CONNECTING FLIGHTS
IS LESS THAN 24 HOURS. PLEASE NOTE THAT THE
PASSENGERS HOLDING A NEW TRANSIT VISA HAS THE
OPTION OF EITHER CHECK-IN THEIR BAGS UNTIL THEIR
FINAL DESTINATION OR ALTERNATIVELY UP TO DOHA

HOWEVER IF PASSENGER DOES NOT HOLD TRANSIT VISA
THEN BAGS WILL ALWAYS BE CHECKED-IN THROUGH TO THE
FINAL DESTINATION. THE PASSENGERS
SHOULD CARRY EVERYTHING THEY NEED IN DOHA IN A
HAND BAG
With your 20 hour stopover in Doha, and leaving the airport, I expect that you'll get a transit visa. Get that, bring proof of that, plus these fare rules -- and you should be able to check bags only through to Doha. With this document in hand, don't take no for an answer!

I've found that QR staff were previously trained to be quite strict -- harsh! -- in enforcing the carrier's prior rule that bags must be checked through for all connections <24 hours. Some may not know the above rule. But that is the rule in the fare, and you are entitled to its benefit.

(Ideally of course you'd confirm the exact provision in your fare rules, based on the ticket you bought and the fare in that ticket, on your date of purchase. EF lets you check historic fares and fare rules.)
Old Feb 8, 2017, 1:57 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by bedelman
I used ExpertFlyer to pull up fare rules of the cheapeset QR one-way coach fare FRA-SYD. As I understand it, most or all QR fares should be identical in this respect.

The fare provides in relevant part (bold by me):

With your 20 hour stopover in Doha, and leaving the airport, I expect that you'll get a transit visa. Get that, bring proof of that, plus these fare rules -- and you should be able to check bags only through to Doha. With this document in hand, don't take no for an answer!

I've found that QR staff were previously trained to be quite strict -- harsh! -- in enforcing the carrier's prior rule that bags must be checked through for all connections <24 hours. Some may not know the above rule. But that is the rule in the fare, and you are entitled to its benefit.

(Ideally of course you'd confirm the exact provision in your fare rules, based on the ticket you bought and the fare in that ticket, on your date of purchase. EF lets you check historic fares and fare rules.)
That's a real gem of an update bedelman - when I did the transit visa I wanted QR to keep my bags and even used the lockers in the lounge to stash my hand luggage, but for people who want to get hold of their bags, assuming its in their fare rules, that's really useful to know.
Old Feb 8, 2017, 5:10 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
I don't travel with strollers, but shouldn't you be allowed to gate check it anyway?
Old Feb 9, 2017, 12:09 am
Original Poster

@Bedelman: Thanks for this information. This is really valuable and should help me out for the outbound for sure, as we do have the new transit visa for the layover.
EDIT: I just signed up for the free trial on EF and the fare rules state:
"IF THE STOPOVER IN DOHA BETWEEN CONNECTING
FLIGHTS IS LESS THAN 24 HOURS PLEASE NOTE THAT
THE BAGS WILL ALWAYS BE CHECKED THROUGH TO THE
FINAL DESTINATION.THE PASSENGERS SHOULD CARRY
EVERYTHING THEY NEED IN DOHA IN A HAND BAG."
So anyway I will try my luck using the new fare rules as an argument.

@worldlux: You can gate check the stroller, but QR does not deliver it to the aircraft door or carousel in Doha unfortunatly, as this is usually standard for all other airlines. Eventough they often do not really know, where exactly it will be delivered to at the place of arrival.

@EvilDoctorK: We will have a sling carrier for sure as a backup. And I also checked with the hotel and they could provide us with a stroller in case we can't get ours.

Thanks to all of you for your help and input, this is highly appreciated.

Last edited by irishmanlev; Feb 9, 2017 at 12:26 am
Old Apr 10, 2017, 11:51 pm
Original Poster

As we now have completed our journey I like to give a quick update.

We had no struggles at all flying QR J to short check one bag on each way PLUS the stroller. Neither in SYD nor in FRA this was a big thing. It obviously took some time as the gate agent had to do it differently, but with our 2 kids they understood that we might need some additional stuff for our 20hrs layovers and they did a great job to accomondate our wishes. A really perfect experience (as was the whole flights)
Old Apr 11, 2017, 1:51 am

irishmanlev thank you for your positive feedback to the forum. It is heartwarming to see that QR staff are doing their best to help passengers rather than just giving the usual robotic answers.
I am sure that it made the journey easier for all four of you.
Apart from actual flights this forum has a very negative attitude to QR. However it is becoming increasingly obvious that individuals are trying to provide excellent service to customers. It is something that is increasing rapidly.
Positive feedback, such as yours, bolsters that positive attitude within QR and helps to improve service levels.
Thank you for sharing your experience with us.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.