Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DWC to central Dubai - how easy?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2016, 12:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold (OW Emerald) & Jet Airways - Thank goodness i never got started.......most awful FF program
DWC to central Dubai - how easy?

I am contemplating a BA TP run to Colombo to Dubai with a long layover to enjoy the Al Safwa.

DWC is about £450 cheaper than DXB. My question is: How much of a pain is it to get to where all the nice hotels are located?
Old Oct 20, 2016, 12:58 pm

Programs: QR Privilege Club Platinum, EK Skywards Gold, IHG Platinum Ambassador
Originally Posted by d3vski
I am contemplating a BA TP run to Colombo to Dubai with a long layover to enjoy the Al Safwa.

DWC is about £450 cheaper than DXB. My question is: How much of a pain is it to get to where all the nice hotels are located?
If by nice hotels you mean the ones on the Palm or near the marina then DWC is actually closer and a lot easier to get to then DXB. A taxi between the two airports will cost about AED 120 or less and will take no longer than 40 mins if the traffic is not too bad. So for a 450 quid difference DWC is a no brainer IMO
Old Oct 20, 2016, 12:58 pm

DWC to the Marina/Palm area: not that far, probably in the 70AED range.

From DWC to the Downtown area or further north (Deira, Creek etc): a fair bit further, probably in the 120AED range, and may take 1h+ in traffic.

Both areas have nice hotels so you just have to decide where you would like to stay. But even 120AED roundtrip is still considerably less than £450. Plus DWC will be pretty deserted whereas DXB T1 can be an utter madhouse. So I would go with DWC in a heartbeat.
Old Oct 20, 2016, 1:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold (OW Emerald) & Jet Airways - Thank goodness i never got started.......most awful FF program
Thanks guys. DWC it is.

Not sure if I am going to overnight. I am currently looking at an immediate turnaround. This in the middle of a 3 week trip to India to see the in-laws and have managed to convince the wife to let me escape for a couple of days so priority is to get back to India within a reasonable timeframe. Nevertheless, a cheap TP run ex-Cmb is tempting!
Old Oct 20, 2016, 5:35 pm

Programs: BA Gold/OWE
DWC is great for arrivals; my record is 10 mins from aircraft door to kerbside, without bags. Less so for departures, in terms of premium facilities.

Have you compared SHJ prices if you plan to stay in Downtown or further north ? Or even RKT if you've 'done' Dubai and fancy a change ?
Old Oct 21, 2016, 1:55 am
Original Poster

Never been to Dubai.....it is on the list but this time it is a pure TP run.

Will take the wife in the future.
Old Oct 21, 2016, 3:31 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Diamond
Or AUH as an alternative?

Hey I am thinking of a short trip to Dubai, probably for about 4 nights. QR J fares are £200 cheaper to Abu Dhabi, so for two of us that is a £400 saving. I understand we could get a taxi from AUH to Dubai. Any idea of the cost and time needed? Alertamtively is Abu Dhabi worth a visit instead of Dubai?
Old Oct 21, 2016, 3:43 pm

Programs: QR Platinum
Originally Posted by Slotski
Alertamtively is Abu Dhabi worth a visit instead of Dubai?
I personally like it better, depends on what you are interested in doing. Check out Tripadvisor or the like for a better overview on what does each city offer.
Old Oct 21, 2016, 4:08 pm

Programs: BA Gold/OWE
>> Any idea of the cost and time needed?

It's 120km from AUH to Downtown Dubai. Somewhere between 250-300 dhs on the meter and around 90 mins depending on traffic. Airport taxis are nice Merc minivans. Uber is still discouraged from airport pickups, I believe.

As I commented above, have you checked fares to DWC and SHJ ? Sharjah borders Dubai and it's only 20 mins away outside the rush hour.

Clearly I prefer Abu Dhabi but everybody needs to see Dubai before they die
Old Oct 22, 2016, 6:04 am

Uber is still banned from Abu Dhabi so you won't be able to get one anyway.

Traffic to/from Sharjah is utterly atrocious. It may well take longer to get to Dubai than AUH when it gets particularly bad. DWC should be fine.

As for DXB vs. AD, Dubai if you want busyness and bling, Abu Dhabi for a more low-key and peaceful time

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.