Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Travel Festival - Buyer's remorse

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2016, 9:52 pm
Original Poster

Travel Festival - Buyer's remorse

So I was so excited about the Travel festival that I bought my tickets without thinking stuff through. So i bought my husband AMD -JFK on 4 Oct and back on Jan 15. J class on an I fare. I then bought my tickets for the same return on Jan 15 and back to JFK on Feb 10. What I didnt check is that we werent on the same return from AMD- JFK. So my husband has a 11 hour stop in DOH but wont get hotel because there is a shorter connection. Also I live in MSP so the flight from JFK - MSP would cost more than I saved during the sale. So now I am basically sitting here thinking how I can convince these guys to reroute me to ORD without charging me an arm and a leg. Any suggestions welcome. And yes you can call me an idiot because its not far from what I feel right now.
Old Sep 10, 2016, 11:38 pm

Firstclasser careless yes, idiot no!
You need to examine the fare and change rules that were sent with the original confirmation to see what you can do.

QR are not known to be very accommodating with regard to itinerary changes outside of the fare rules and certainly not where fare differences are involved. So it all depends upon the change fees/Fare rules for your ticket.

The change fees are listed in the fare rules there. To this you may have to add the additional cost of fare differences. So all in all it could be quite expensive.

You need to talk to your local QR office to see if anything can be done. See http://www.qatarairways.com/dk/en/contact-us.page for details.
Old Sep 11, 2016, 12:12 am

Programs: QRPC Silver, BA Silver
Firstclasser On the plus side - 11hrs for your hubby of testing out the Al M Business class lounge wine selection every cloud...!
Old Sep 11, 2016, 2:02 am

Programs: FB PFL, TK Gold, PC Platinum
Firstclasser as theox says, 11 hours in Al M is not soon bad! Champagne , wine, and food! Just tell him to make sure he doesn't miss his flight ;-)
Old Sep 11, 2016, 2:50 am

Programs: Hyatt Global, Marriot Lifetime Titanium
Actually, Flyer's Remorse.
Old Sep 11, 2016, 3:07 am
Original Poster

Not drinkers.

About the lounge... We both don't drink and we have 2 children one of whom is an infant so you best believe we need to be on that flight together. I just hope someone from QR reads this and says hmmm I guess we can change his long layover and reroute their flight. Lol. Not happening but still waiting for some more advice as to how to do this cheaper. What are your thoughts about me using my miles to book a local ticket on aa? Will they allow my bags or will i still need to pay. We are both silver and he may be turning gold after this flight.
Old Sep 11, 2016, 3:37 am

Programs: QRPC Silver, BA Silver
Firstclasser

That is unfortunate.

However, I can guarantee that even if one of us were QR staff (which I'm 99.9% certain we aren't) they certainly wouldn't be able to do anything. QR are renowned for sticking STRICTLY to the ticketing terms and conditions. My only suggestion in that case is what remdk suggests - check your ticket T&Cs and see how you can change it to mitigate the damage to you.

Using your miles and checking bags through with AA - they're both oneworld so maybe they will let you check bags through but you'd need too check VERY carefully with QR and AA on that one.

Unfortunately it does appear that if you do want to change this, it will cost you. I'd suggest rather than trying to find ways to rectify the mistake - accept that whats done is done, and find a way to limit the damage. Apologies if that sounds a little harsh.
Old Sep 11, 2016, 5:08 am

Programs: QR Plat, Accor Plat
Firstclasser, here's how I understand the situation:
Husband AMD-JFK on 4th Oct. / JFK-AMD on 15th. Jan
You JFK-AMD on 15th Jan. / AMD-JFK on 10th Feb.
The problem is that on the JFK-AMD you are not booked on the same flights (for both JFK-DOH and DOH-AMD legs) and your Husband has a long connection in DOH and won't even enjoy any of these fabulous bottles at Al Mourjan lounge

The first good news, is that change fees for India originated ticket (your Husband ticket) are usually low (something like 80 USD).
The second good news is that if you change a ticket after departure (after your Husband flew AMD-JFK), you will benefit from history price (the Travel festival promotional price) instead of having to pay the fare difference with actual price.
So, if you want to minimize the change cost, I would suggest you to wait until 5th Oct., after your husband flew AMD-JFK, then request for the change, crossing finger that there will still be availability in the same booking class (I) for the same flight you are booked on. If there's no I class availability, you would have to pay the fare difference or you can wait for availability to open in that booking class, even until to 1 or 2 days prior to the flight (if your nerves can stand it and if ending up with not changing the ticket is something you are ready to accept if you can't change it at a good price), when, if the flight isn't full, Qatar might open availability in all classes to fill the plane.
Old Sep 11, 2016, 7:31 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Matt4
Firstclasser, here's how I understand the situation:
Husband AMD-JFK on 4th Oct. / JFK-AMD on 15th. Jan
You JFK-AMD on 15th Jan. / AMD-JFK on 10th Feb.
The problem is that on the JFK-AMD you are not booked on the same flights (for both JFK-DOH and DOH-AMD legs) and your Husband has a long connection in DOH and won't even enjoy any of these fabulous bottles at Al Mourjan lounge

The first good news, is that change fees for India originated ticket (your Husband ticket) are usually low (something like 80 USD).
The second good news is that if you change a ticket after departure (after your Husband flew AMD-JFK), you will benefit from history price (the Travel festival promotional price) instead of having to pay the fare difference with actual price.
So, if you want to minimize the change cost, I would suggest you to wait until 5th Oct., after your husband flew AMD-JFK, then request for the change, crossing finger that there will still be availability in the same booking class (I) for the same flight you are booked on. If there's no I class availability, you would have to pay the fare difference or you can wait for availability to open in that booking class, even until to 1 or 2 days prior to the flight (if your nerves can stand it and if ending up with not changing the ticket is something you are ready to accept if you can't change it at a good price), when, if the flight isn't full, Qatar might open availability in all classes to fill the plane.
Makes sense. The change fee is $200. And we will not be together for the second leg. Fingers crossed there is availability.
Old Sep 11, 2016, 7:32 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by theox
Firstclasser

That is unfortunate.

However, I can guarantee that even if one of us were QR staff (which I'm 99.9% certain we aren't) they certainly wouldn't be able to do anything. QR are renowned for sticking STRICTLY to the ticketing terms and conditions. My only suggestion in that case is what remdk suggests - check your ticket T&Cs and see how you can change it to mitigate the damage to you.

Using your miles and checking bags through with AA - they're both oneworld so maybe they will let you check bags through but you'd need too check VERY carefully with QR and AA on that one.

Unfortunately it does appear that if you do want to change this, it will cost you. I'd suggest rather than trying to find ways to rectify the mistake - accept that whats done is done, and find a way to limit the damage. Apologies if that sounds a little harsh.
Not hardh at all. Its sound advice.
Old Sep 11, 2016, 7:46 am

Programs: QR Plat, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by Firstclasser
Makes sense. The change fee is $200. And we will not be together for the second leg. Fingers crossed there is availability.
Change fee is the same if you change 1 or 2 legs on your husband JFK-AMD, so why not changing both legs ?
Old Sep 12, 2016, 4:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by Matt4
Change fee is the same if you change 1 or 2 legs on your husband JFK-AMD, so why not changing both legs ?
Because for JFK-DOH-AMD on 15th Jan both are on the same JFK-DOH flight, but then on different flights for the DOH-AMD sector ("the second leg"). So there is no need to change both legs...unless you want to separate the pax on the JFK-DOH sector instead of the DOH-AMD sector!!!!

Last edited by irishguy28; Sep 12, 2016 at 4:07 am
Old Oct 3, 2016, 10:33 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by irishguy28
Because for JFK-DOH-AMD on 15th Jan both are on the same JFK-DOH flight, but then on different flights for the DOH-AMD sector ("the second leg"). So there is no need to change both legs...unless you want to separate the pax on the JFK-DOH sector instead of the DOH-AMD sector!!!!
Hahah. Sorry for the silence. My parasites were not feeling to well. If there was a way I could separate both legs and have the parasites on his flights... Bliss

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.