Community
Wiki Posts
Search

QR Upgrade Order

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2016, 5:33 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
QR Upgrade Order

A few FTers have asked recently about the order used by QR, when it comes to Upgrades.

There are technically no written rules about Upgrades to J/F, as they rarely happen unless there is significant over-booking.

If there is no overbooking, the only complimentary Upgrades seem to be:

1) Al Thani Family
2) Palace Recommendation to QR - used for VIPs who benefit and assist the Al Thani family.

However, if the flight is overbooked and there are no Al Thani family-members or VIPs, I understand from my Galley Gossip sessions, that the order is:

1) QRPC Platinum cardholders travelling in Fully Flexible Y/J.
2) Passengers travelling on a Fully Flexible Y/J ticket.
3) QRPC Platinum cardholders travelling in Y/J.
4) OneWorld Emerald cardholders travelling in Y/J.
5) Frequent Travelling QR customers through the specific airport, booked in Y/J.
6) QRPC Gold cardholders.
7) OneWorld Sapphire cardholders.

Info provided through a number of gossip sessions with various QR crew and Senior Management employees.

M

Last edited by msm2000uk; Jul 11, 2016 at 6:38 am
Old Jul 11, 2016, 2:43 pm

Programs: QR Gold
With all due respect msm, that is not true. Being a member of the Al-Thani family does not give you free updates. Absolutely not. Perhaps if that member is also a PC number, yes, then they would be given free updates on the same scale as non-royal people.

Last edited by QatarA340; Jul 11, 2016 at 2:46 pm Reason: added with all due respect, :)
Old Jul 11, 2016, 2:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by QatarA340
With all due respect msm, that is not true. Being a member of the Al-Thani family does not give you free updates. Absolutely not. Perhaps if that member is also a PC number, yes, then they would be given free updates on the same scale as non-royal people.
Certainly different to my experience and information from a number of CSD's, QR Pilots, and HIA management...as well as one of the more important Al Thani members.

M
Old Jul 11, 2016, 6:35 pm

Programs: QR Privilege Club Platinum, EK Skywards Gold, IHG Platinum Ambassador
Under what circumstances would a royal family member be traveling in Y in the first place?!
Old Jul 12, 2016, 12:36 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mr_Ed
Under what circumstances would a royal family member be traveling in Y in the first place?!
They usually travel in J, aside from very senior Al-Thani's, and are then upgraded to F where it is available - happens quite regularly on the CDG route over the summer months.

M
Old Jul 12, 2016, 3:19 am

Programs: QR Platinum
Originally Posted by msm2000uk
A few FTers have asked recently about the order used by QR, when it comes to Upgrades.

There are technically no written rules about Upgrades to J/F, as they rarely happen unless there is significant over-booking.

If there is no overbooking, the only complimentary Upgrades seem to be:

1) Al Thani Family
2) Palace Recommendation to QR - used for VIPs who benefit and assist the Al Thani family.

However, if the flight is overbooked and there are no Al Thani family-members or VIPs, I understand from my Galley Gossip sessions, that the order is:

1) QRPC Platinum cardholders travelling in Fully Flexible Y/J.
2) Passengers travelling on a Fully Flexible Y/J ticket.
3) QRPC Platinum cardholders travelling in Y/J.
4) OneWorld Emerald cardholders travelling in Y/J.
5) Frequent Travelling QR customers through the specific airport, booked in Y/J.
6) QRPC Gold cardholders.
7) OneWorld Sapphire cardholders.

Info provided through a number of gossip sessions with various QR crew and Senior Management employees.

M

Very interesting, esp. that a walk-in passenger on a fully flexible Y/J ticket is higher ranking than a QRPC Platinum. To be honest this is somewhat sobering. Also surprising but to lesser degree is the ranking number 5.
Old Jul 12, 2016, 4:18 am

Programs: HH D,CC,SPG,AZ: Gold;BA Silver, TK Elite
Strange that the differenciation is put in place between flex/non flex, as the Altea setup only takes into account the regrade priority and date of joining(for staff), followed by booking status (confirmed, waitlist,...) and FQTV.
For FQTV, it's set up as VVIP>QR PLAT/OWE>QR GOLD/OWS>QR SILV/OWR

But then again, if member f the royal family, they could be excluded from the automatic onload process and proactively upgraded
Old Jul 12, 2016, 4:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by QatarA340
Being a member of the Al-Thani family does not give you free updates.
You mean we get updates on flight schedules free but members of the royal family have to pay? Interesting approach.
Old Jul 12, 2016, 8:54 am

Programs: QR Platinum
I must have been very lucky then , got upgrade at the gate from business to first ( DOH- CDG ) , booking class I
At that time i was PC Silver.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 4:34 pm

Programs: BA Gold, KL Gold, LH FTL, IHG Plat Amb, HH Diamond, Accor Gold, Hertz PC
Anyone has any fresh information regarding the QR OpUp priority/order?
Some sources tell it's QR Plat - QR Gold - QR Silv - OWE - OWS - OWR, and another sources say it's QR Plat - OWE - QR Gold - OWS - QR Silv - OWR.
Currently I'm holding both QR Gold (OWS) and BA Gold (OWE) and I'm wondering on which card I'd have a grater chance for an OpUp. Flight I'm taking is not selling anymore tickets in economy so I'm guessing it might be really overcrowded in Y, hence I'd like to maximize my chances.
Preferably any info from QR Rep or handling agent?
Old Apr 17, 2019, 6:21 am

Programs: BAEC
I don't have any direct experience but my hunch is that they would favour QRPC at OWS rather than BAEC at OWE.
​​​​

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.