Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

American Executive Platinum / oneworld Emerald getting upgraded on Qatar Airways

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

American Executive Platinum / oneworld Emerald getting upgraded on Qatar Airways

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2016, 6:33 pm
Original Poster

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone had any luck / knows if its possible to get upgraded on Qatar Airways simply for having Executive Platinum status with American.

I've booked (and paid cash) for an economy fare from DFW to Doha on a Wednesday night on Qatar Airways, and I would much prefer to save my system-wide upgrades if at all possible.

Any data points out there?

Thanks in advance.
Old Jul 7, 2016, 6:41 pm

Originally Posted by NoviceFrqntFlyr
...I would much prefer to save my system-wide upgrades if at all possible.
That won't be a problem.

Why do you think that an AA SWU would be accepted by QR? And no, QR doesn't upgrade elites just for being elite. Only US airlines do that (and mainly on domestic routes).
Old Jul 7, 2016, 6:55 pm

Programs: BA Silver, AA Gold, A3 Gold, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Gold
It is possible you will be upgraded but highly unlikely.

You should plan on flying in the cabin you purchased a ticket in as that is very likely what will happen.
Old Jul 7, 2016, 7:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

With non USA airlines always expect to fly in the cabin/seat you purchase.
Non USA airlines do not upgrade like USA airlines.
Non USA airlines will fly with empty business/first class seats. Some even when their own frequent flyers have requested an upgrade with miles/cash, but had the request refused.
Old Jul 7, 2016, 7:46 pm

A couple of years ago I was upgraded on a regional QR flight -- I think, maybe CMB or CAI-DOH. Didn't request anything -- was notified when I boarded. I'm assuming they picked a OWE off the manifest, but no reason was given.
Old Jul 7, 2016, 7:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
With non USA airlines always expect to fly in the cabin/seat you purchase.
Non USA airlines do not upgrade like USA airlines.
Non USA airlines will fly with empty business/first class seats. Some even when their own frequent flyers have requested an upgrade with miles/cash, but had the request refused.
This is correct in many cases, though some non-US airlines do sell upgrades. And pretty much every airline will op-up passengers if necessary (though of course this is pretty rare and you can't count on it happening).
Old Jul 7, 2016, 7:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rjw242
This is correct in many cases, though some non-US airlines do sell upgrades. .
A minority of airlines will sell upgrades for cash at a price less the full fare, at the gate or offer before/on check in.
A majority of airlines will only sell for the full retail price difference.
Old Jul 7, 2016, 8:05 pm

No. It's not possible. I fly qr all the time. If there's an overlooking situation, emeralds get priority... However that hasn't happened in over a year.

If you go to lounge you can buy an upgrade. Typically you negotiate on price as qr hates sending out empty J or F cabins.

Recently I upgraded j to f on DOH to BKK for 850 bucks. Not bad considering I drank 2 bottles of Krug.
Old Jul 7, 2016, 8:06 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
I was in South Africa this spring and upgraded myself with no Star Alliance status for half of my trip (including JNB-JFK) via the name your price UPG system....worked great!
Old Jul 7, 2016, 8:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP
I recently flew QR J (return to DFW) and was surprised to see only 50% full. Something I rarely see on AA. I found they do upgrade Privilege club (QR FFP) elites with miles or miles + cash.

As others mentioned, unlikely to get upgraded unless Y is oversold. AA System Wide Upgrades cannot be used to upgrade either.

With summer J fares quite low, not a bad idea to purchase outright. But Y is fine as well, if you can get an exit row seat. I remember a very comfortable flight in Y exit row (with foot/knee rest) a couple of years ago. I was able to call in and request exit row as OWE back then.
Old Jul 7, 2016, 8:39 pm
wmz

Programs: AS MVP, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hilton Diamond, Wyndham Diamond
I've gotten upgraded once on a CX flight (op-up Y to PE), but it's definitely a rarity.
Old Jul 7, 2016, 9:28 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat MM
as others have pointed out, you can't use SWU to upgrade on QR. I have seen the 3 mid-eastern airlines (EK, EY, QR) will upgrade higher-tier customers if Y is oversold. Emirates usually is very lenient with such upgrades (I have gotten many times in various sectors).

Alternately you can ask at check-in for paid upgrades. Sometimes you get really good deals. One of my colleague scored an upgrade DFW-DOH for $400.
Old Jul 7, 2016, 10:16 pm

Programs: AA
To answer the OP, it is possible and happened to my wife and I last weekend in Doh on route to Bkk. Originally booked on O class tickets it was a nice surprise to be upgraded especially never having flown with QR before this trip. As stated it must have been a case of overbooking so picked a OWE to upgrade.
Old Jul 8, 2016, 8:26 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
As this question is about how Qatar manage upgrades, I'm going to shift this thread to the Qatar Airways forum for further discussion.

~Microwave
AAdvantage forum co-moderator
Old Jul 8, 2016, 10:12 am

Programs: BA Gold/OWE
You may receive an email with a cash upgrade offer at some point. Whether you consider it good value is another matter. Check the relevant thread in this forum for examples.

Outside the US, you should expect to travel in the cabin you've paid for, regardless of status. My few op-ups on QR as as OWE have been as the result of oversales or aircraft down gauges.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.