Community
Wiki Posts
Search

OW Status recognition by Qatar Airways

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5, 2019, 3:40 pm

Globalist no we are NOT saying that OWEs have access to Al Safwa.

QR have provided a First class lounge for OWEs thus satisfying the OW rules for lounge access. Thar QR have added another lounge for First class passengers only is of no concern to Oneworld whose rules have alredy been adhered to with the First class lounge.

If you look at oneworld airport-lounges?location=DOH you will see that Al Safwa is limited to First class and does not include OWEs.
Old Jul 5, 2019, 10:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by Globalist

in London and most outstations flying QR you can access the business class lounge as there is no F Lounge. (Unless there is an F lounge for another OW carrier.
In addition to remdk's answer (indeed, nobody is saying OWE access Al Safwa, just the 'First Class lounge' which is entirely different, your statement above would be correct at LGW but not at LHR where the QR Business lounge is reserved to people flying J and F whilst OWS/OWE are asked to use the Skyteam lounge (which is perfectly fine).
Old Jul 6, 2019, 2:49 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HHonors Diamond; A3 *Nothing ; BA Exec. Club Gold
Thanks all, my message was merely to clarify that the first lounge access was indeed the HIA lounge and not Al Safwa. (Both are referred to as first class lounges but just have different access criteria).

Duly clarified.

I have experienced the QR lounge at LHR flying J on MH, and really liked it.
Later this month I fly SIN-DOH-AMS in J with 7 hrs in DOH. Thinking of paying up for time in Al Safwa. Didn’t hear much good about the HIA lounges...

Globalist
Old Jul 6, 2019, 5:48 am

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Thanks all, my message was merely to clarify that the first lounge access was indeed the HIA lounge and not Al Safwa. (Both are referred to as first class lounges but just have different access criteria).

Duly clarified.

I have experienced the QR lounge at LHR flying J on MH, and really liked it.
Later this month I fly SIN-DOH-AMS in J with 7 hrs in DOH. Thinking of paying up for time in Al Safwa. Didn’t hear much good about the HIA lounges...

Globalist
but if you are in j you can use al Mourjan. And yes the qr lhr lounge is great as is their cdg one.
Globalist likes this.
Old Jul 6, 2019, 5:58 am

Programs: BA Gold
Later this month I fly SIN-DOH-AMS in J with 7 hrs in DOH. Thinking of paying up for time in Al Safwa.
For QAR600/£131 it might not be worth it for just under 6 hours (subtracting getting to & from the aircraft and security). Perhaps pop into the Al Mourjan lounge first to check if that perhaps meets your needs.
Globalist likes this.
Old Jul 6, 2019, 4:19 pm

Originally Posted by remdk
The first time was about 3 years ago in connection with 'fast approaching' opening of the North node lounges and the last was early last month.
Wasn't "soon" the term used, which has a meaning in Qatari English that does not equate to "fast approaching"... ?
Old Jul 6, 2019, 10:30 pm

Originally Posted by FlyingScientist
Wasn't "soon" the term used, which has a meaning in Qatari English that does not equate to "fast approaching"... ?
well that reminds me, the one thing I do dislike when flying in QR Y (and there status makes zero difference) is how slow the disembarking canbeif you are in Y and the plane uses a bus gate. Qr uses separate buses for j and y which is good but the y bus will sometimes be really slow to start operating. Three of my 4 recent flights used bus gates including one at DOH. For the DOH one, the crew chose to complete the disembarkation of a J passenger needing assistance before releasing Y pax but her assistance was not there yet. Ultimately, we ended up disembarking almost 35 minutes after landing and with waiting for pax and long drive to the terminal, made it out of the bus more than 50 minutes after landing while the flight was already 30 minutes late. Yesterday at an outstation, we started disembarking in Y nearly 15 minutes after landing because a Y pax could not decide if she wanted to go on the J bus or wait for the rest of her family who were towards the back of (the largely empty but still) Y cabin.

So yes, ‘soon’ is a very relative concept at least upon disembarking.

meanwhile flight 4 went well, full row to myself again and meal orders taken first ;without much need) though crew not nearly as warm as on the previous flight but still a very good experience.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 1:29 am

Originally Posted by FlyingScientist
My understanding is that “soon” roughly refers to an unspecified point of time in the future, likely within the next 5 years, whereas “not soon” means that it is never going to happen.
msm2000uk and Traveller999 like this.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 4:28 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by Steve_ZA
For QAR600/£131 it might not be worth it for just under 6 hours (subtracting getting to & from the aircraft and security). Perhaps pop into the Al Mourjan lounge first to check if that perhaps meets your needs.
Agree, I think Globalist would be well advised to make use of Al Mourjan at zero cost, rather than shelling out QAR 600 unnecessarily !

Al Mourjan can be busy at times - perhaps busier than it once was - but it covers a very large area (and I’ve never failed to find a decent spot). The overall standard remains way above the vast majority of business class lounges.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 11:19 am
Moderator, Amtrak & Spirit Airlines

Programs: AC 50K, AS MVP, AA Plat Pro, DL Plat, UA Silver, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Well I had what I am sure is a non standard QR experience as OWS last week.

First time flying QR as an OWS previously had always flown as an OWE.

Was on a $432USD one way ticket JFK-DOH-TBS.

Got Zone 3 boarding on both BPs and get invited to AA's Flagship lounge at T8.

Opup at the gate JFK-DOH for my first flight in QSuites.

First time visiting the OWS lounge at DOH, not really that big of a step down from the rather lackluster OWE lounge there.

Then Opup at the gate on DOH-TBS on a lie flat equipped A321.

Pretty awesome experience as a OWS on such a dirt cheap econ ticket.

Better then my flights as a OWE frankly. Of course all of this I am sure was very time and route dependent.
orbitmic likes this.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 2:05 pm

Originally Posted by Long Train Runnin

Opup at the gate JFK-DOH for my first flight in QSuites.
That's quite an upgrade indeed!!!
Old Aug 7, 2019, 2:15 pm

Quick question. I am BA Silver tier and planning to book a trip in Y with QR from CPH via DOH to MNL with my wife (no status) and child (under 12 and no status).

Will I be granted access to any lounge and if not what are the expected costs?
Old Aug 7, 2019, 2:22 pm

Programs: A3*G,BA Silver
As BA silver you do have access to C lounge including one guest. But most of the times they are ok if you are a family.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.