Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

DOH, MCT, missed connection, and a 5 hour delay

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2016, 2:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium; IHG Diamond Ambassador

RUH - BKK with a 45 minute connection in DOH and I missed, late off the gate 40 minutes, holding for a gate in DOH 7 minutes, then waiting for the jet bridge 5 minutes.

So I was given a new BP and told I should wait in the business lounge for the 5 hours before the next flight.

I'm traveling on paid business so I asked for an OpUp to first, there are 7 seats available. Premium passenger service agent said he could not do it. I asked for a supervisor, same response.

Now if this were a US or EU flight I would be due some money and get the upgrade, space available. I don't know what the rules are if there are any in the middle east.

Surely someone here can provide some information.

Why was I not given the OpUp?

And seriously a MCT of 45 minutes? Are you freaking kidding me!

Food in the business lounge is nice, but I should be feeling better about the way they treat their customers. Big disappointment, NOT a 5 Star Airline
Old May 26, 2016, 4:19 pm
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Sorry to hear of your recent IRROPS.

Just to clarify a few things:

1) 45mins MCT at HIA is plenty. It is an airport built for transit passengers, and you'll find numerous reports of people making the connection in less than 15mins, let alone 45!

2) Due to delayed inbound flight, you misconnected and QR provided you with a seat on the next available flight. That all sounds pretty standard to me.

3) Expecting an Op-Up due to IRROPS? I have never been upgraded purely because of a misconnect, and that is with heavy travel across Europe, the US, and Asia.

4) You mention you are on a paid J ticket. Might I ask whether it was a fully flexible ticket? If so, then you may have been considered for an upgrade. If any other class of J ticket, then you wont be.

I hope you have a better onward journey, and enjoy your time in the Al Mourjan. Many of us have spent considerable amounts of time in the lounge, usually due to personal choice - it's definitely not a bad place to be!

M
Old May 26, 2016, 6:12 pm

Originally Posted by rebadc
Now if this were a US or EU flight I would be due some money and get the upgrade, space available. I don't know what the rules are if there are any in the middle east.
Not sure where you got the impression that a misconnect would automatically entitle to an upgrade... It may happen in the US, but it's definitely not any sort of rule or habit in Europe, as already pointed by msm2000uk.

On the other hand, if this was a European flight and you arrived at destination 5 hours later, then you could have claimed compensation under the EU regulations. No other airline would do this outside of the European context, so I'm not sure why you would want to blame QR... Delays happen all the time.
Old May 27, 2016, 12:21 am

Putting it nicely, I think your expectations are over the top.
Old May 27, 2016, 1:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium; IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by ft101
Putting it nicely, I think your expectations are over the top.
How so?
Had this been QR flying to/from the US or EU I could make a claim.

There were over 300 people waiting around the re-accomodation area, so QR mis-connetcs alot of passengers, probably all the time, but hey its OK, they will put you on a flight 5 hours later and feel that they are doing the right thing.

What happened to customer service and saying yes whenever possible, what is the cost to them to put me up front in an empty seat.

Seems like a win/win to me.

but no that's not the case, outside of the steak in the lounge the whole experience has left me quite unimpressed.

Last edited by rebadc; May 27, 2016 at 1:33 am
Old May 27, 2016, 2:17 am

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Please don't feed the troll.

M

Last edited by msm2000uk; May 27, 2016 at 2:24 am
Old May 27, 2016, 2:26 am

Programs: QRPC Silver, BA Silver
msm2000uk Please don't feed the troll.
lol...^^^

I'd love 5hrs in Al M lounge!! I have a 45 min connection to LHR on Monday... :O:O:O:O:O:O
Old May 27, 2016, 2:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Currently I'm completely pissed-off with Qatar's incompetence, but even in my grumpy state I can see you are on a hiding to nowhere

...outside of the steak in the lounge the whole experience has left me quite unimpressed.
Well, yes, I think even the most supportive of QR's critics recognise that the airline generally underperforms in terms of customer service. Big on glitz, but often less than supportive when there are disruptions.

But..

But you're not, and you can't.

BTW I've suffered disconnects in the US, and just had to wait it out. No steak, no Krug . Salt in the wound was a downgrade on the subsequent flight.

What happened to customer service and saying yes whenever possible, what is the cost to them to put me up front in an empty seat.
Most airlines outside the US seem to have a policy of upgrading only when they have to. There's not the surge to fill empty first-class seats I see when I'm travelling in the US. Service recovery might lead some carriers to upgrade, but I reckon it would be after an egregious service failure or one involving one of their most valued customers.

And remember, the step up to QR First on its A380 is somewhat steeper than from economy to first between Phoenix and Honolulu on AA.
Old May 27, 2016, 4:28 am

How so?

There were over 300 people waiting around the re-accomodation area, so QR mis-connetcs alot of passengers, probably all the time, but hey its OK, they will put you on a flight 5 hours later and feel that they are doing the right thing.

Seems like a win/win to me.

but no that's not the case, outside of the steak in the lounge the whole experience has left me quite unimpressed.
Maybe QR could have laid on a private jet just for you
Old May 27, 2016, 6:25 am

Programs: QR Platinum
Originally Posted by msm2000uk
4) You mention you are on a paid J ticket. Might I ask whether it was a fully flexible ticket? If so, then you may have been considered for an upgrade. If any other class of J ticket, then you wont be.
M, just out of curiosity, are there any rules (written or not) about this?
Old May 27, 2016, 6:33 am

Originally Posted by David_DLI
M, just out of curiosity, are there any rules (written or not) about this?
There are no written rules about Upgrades to F, as they rarely happen unless there is significant over-booking.

If there is no overbooking, the only complimentary Upgrades seem to be:

1) Al Thani Family
2) Palace Recommendation to QR - used for VIPs who benefit and assist the Al Thani family.

However, if the flight is overbooked and there are no Al Thani family-members or VIPs, I understand from my Galley Gossip sessions, that the order is:

1) QRPC Platinum cardholders travelling in Fully Flexible J.
2) Passengers travelling on a Fully Flexible J ticket.
3) QRPC Platinum cardholders travelling in J.
4) OneWorld Emerald cardholders travelling in J.
5) Regular QR customers through the specific airport, booked in J.
6) QRPC Gold cardholders.
7) OneWorld Sapphire cardholders.

Info purely through a number of gossip sessions with various QR crew.

M
Old May 27, 2016, 6:38 am

Programs: QR Platinum
Very educative, thanks! (those Galley Gossip sessions must be fun)

It is interesting how other OW airlines won't follow that order, and will put a OW Emerald from a different airline below any of their own tiers. I had this come up in the past several times with Iberia, and with AA they would not upgrade me whatever happened, and I was IB Sapphire back then.
Old May 27, 2016, 6:49 am

Originally Posted by David_DLI
Very educative, thanks! (those Galley Gossip sessions must be fun)

It is interesting how other OW airlines won't follow that order, and will put a OW Emerald from a different airline below any of their own tiers. I had this come up in the past several times with Iberia, and with AA they would not upgrade me whatever happened, and I was IB Sapphire back then.
As strange as it sounds, I enjoy talking and hanging out with the crew onboard.

My travel with QR is for work, and the novelty of the F and J product wore off a long time ago!

The IFE is great, but travelling between 8-12 longhaul legs a month, means I have to ration myself...otherwise I'd be even more bored!

The crew make the flight for me, and as much as people say QR staff are robotic and hate their jobs, the ones I have engaged with (both onboard and off), are great fun and enjoy their jobs.

They speak openly, and will happily eat/apply makeup/read books/do knitting/gossip/discuss Instagram with passengers looking to kill time onboard!

M
Old May 27, 2016, 7:11 am

Programs: M&M, BA Silver, Accor LeClub Gold
Dear OP, it would appear that you booked this flight with a 45 minute MCT (which if things go to plan is doable). If you clearly thought that it was so unrealistic from the outset would you not have booed a longer connection (or alternative routing?)
Old May 27, 2016, 7:36 am

Programs: QRPC Silver, BA Silver
Apart from echoing MSM2000UK's points above - this 45 min connection time has been frequently discussed - i transit through Doha 3-4 times per month, regularly with 45min connections, and have only ONCE in 2 years missed a connection!

One further point i'd be interested in is how the OP asked about the upgrade - in my experience, and I chat to crew most flights too, if you are very polite, don't expect it, and just ask on the off chance - then they will go the extra mile to help - remember it's not the guy/gal in front of you's decision - he/she has to call operations to authorise the upgrade. Seems a little like the OP expected the upgrade and perhaps was a little annoyed (reading his post!) when he didn't get it! As with any customer service environment, airline or not, if you go the extra mile to be nice it will pay dividends.

The only thing i'd suggest to OP is to email QR to see if you are entitled to any miles in comp.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.