Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

OneWorld Emerald flying QR economy longhaul

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

OneWorld Emerald flying QR economy longhaul

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2016, 6:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
Seat selection options for OneWorld Emerald flying QR economy?

I am an AA EXP and therefore OW Emerald. Looks like I need to fly QR from USA to DEL/BOM India in economy. I can do ORD-DOH, JFK-DOH or perhaps LHR-DOH for the main leg. I am not very familiar with QR Y and have a few questions:

(1) What kind of free seat selection is available to OW Emeralds?

(2) Which planes in QR fleet have the best economy options? For example, many routings offer A380, others 777 or 787.

Thank you!

Last edited by aktchi; May 7, 2016 at 6:51 am
Old May 7, 2016, 8:00 am
zsc

Programs: QR Silver / BA Silver
Originally Posted by aktchi
I am an AA EXP and therefore OW Emerald. Looks like I need to fly QR from USA to DEL/BOM India in economy. I can do ORD-DOH, JFK-DOH or perhaps LHR-DOH for the main leg. I am not very familiar with QR Y and have a few questions:

(1) What kind of free seat selection is available to OW Emeralds?

(2) Which planes in QR fleet have the best economy options? For example, many routings offer A380, others 777 or 787.

Thank you!
1. For the A380 you get to choose the upper deck Y seats - it's configured 2-4-2 and service is arguably much better upstairs since there's less pax to serve. However with status it doesn't really matter much as FAs will see it on their flight log and they'll generally treat you much better than other non-status Y pax on the lower deck. For other aircraft, you'll be able to select the first few rows of seats (not sure if this is available to non-status Y pax). Also there are claims of seats being blocked beside status passengers but it isn't something anyone can really confirm as of yet.

2. If you are able to get into one of the 3-3-3 configured 777s those are fairly decent. Likewise with the A380 seats. 787 seats have long pitch but narrow width, less comfy if you need the width, and finally the 3-4-3 configured 777 is said to be the least decent out of all these. Personally, re the Airbuses, I think the A346/A359's Y seats are pretty decent too. Haven't sat on an A332/333 so can't comment on those.

Top tip: you can pick a flight with the aircraft you'd like to travel on but as with delays in aircraft delivery and operational swaps you might not be traveling on what you originally hoped for, so it would be prudent not to keep your hopes up too high.
Old May 7, 2016, 6:49 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
Good summary from zsc. The upper A380 is good, with window bin storage (except at the exit row).

One thing to note is that QR seem to not allow exit row selection before check in. I don't know if in my case it was because I am a lowly Sapphire, but from other threads on here, I think it is operational.
Old May 7, 2016, 7:25 pm

Programs: QR Platinum, WY Gold, Shangri-la Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by konagirl2
One thing to note is that QR seem to not allow exit row selection before check in. I don't know if in my case it was because I am a lowly Sapphire, but from other threads on here, I think it is operational.
This is correct. Exit rows are normally only allocated at airport check-in on a first come first served basis (no priority for status pax unfortunately).

As others have said, you will have access to "preferred seating" in MMB. In practice this is the upper deck on A380, or rows 11-15 on other widebody aircraft, which can only be reserved by status pax.

I'm not sure at what point rows 11-15 are opened up to non status pax - whether this happens routinely at OLCI or only at airport if flight is busy (as with A380).
Old May 7, 2016, 7:30 pm

More info here: http://support.qatarairways.com/hc/e...referred-Seats
Old May 7, 2016, 10:06 pm

Programs: Air: QR Silver. BA Silver Emirates, Hotels: CC Gold, IHG Spire AMB, Hilton Diamond.
I read on an FT thread recently that Y passengers in the upper deck of the A380 are absolutely the last passengers to leave the plane, so bear this in mind if you have tight connection - although with status particularly you may be able to arrange a swifter exit with cabin crew if you do have a genuinely tight connection.

I don't have any personal experience of this, just read it on here somewhere. Others with experience of UD Y might wish to comment ?
Old May 8, 2016, 6:59 am
Original Poster

Thank you all very much. Good to know that most good seats (except exit row) will be available in advance. I can also appreciate that the 2-4-2 and 3-3-3 configurations are better than the new and notorious 3-4-3.

I am also looking at the new ATL-DOH route which QR started just to get in DL's face. Hopefully, the cabins will not be crowded.
Old May 8, 2016, 9:31 am

Originally Posted by Sisyphus1carus
I read on an FT thread recently that Y passengers in the upper deck of the A380 are absolutely the last passengers to leave the plane, so bear this in mind if you have tight connection - although with status particularly you may be able to arrange a swifter exit with cabin crew if you do have a genuinely tight connection.

I don't have any personal experience of this, just read it on here somewhere. Others with experience of UD Y might wish to comment ?
In my experience you exit either back down the stairs (and therefore behind the rest of the Y class pax) or sometimes through the upper deck J cabin after F and J pax have left.

Typically the crew are on the internal phones once the aircraft is on the stand to determine which way upper deck Y pax will deplane today It used to be mostly back downstairs but now I find it's more 50:50 depending which sections empty quicker.

But yes, you will likely be among the last off either way!
Old May 8, 2016, 12:08 pm

Programs: AA, WN, UA, Bonvoy, Hertz
When in QR Y, I have only flown the single-deck 3-3-3 planes.

As mentioned, you can reserve in the first few rows of the plane (which I normally would do to get off earlier).

For OWE, usually the person in charge on your section will find you early in your flight (before take-off or soon after) to introduce him/herself. They will also ask if they can do anything for you. I haven't come up with a good request to ask though. On one flight I did get asked for a meal preference ahead (usually three choices on ULH). Perhaps they do run out, so this is a nice touch.

I find very few OWE (non-PC) members in Y. Perhaps they get OpUps (I have once with a non-status companion). I would just suggest not pre-ordering special meals for you (or a companion) if you want to play that lottery. Remember to use the special OW metal lines when doing the extra security upon arrival in DOH and at the area to enter the gate section (where you can have the OpUp conversation with the premium line person).

My opinion for ULH - EK 380 Y (three-class plane) > QR 777 Y > EY 777 Y. EK is one of the only non-alliance carriers I fly in Y because of their service and seating (and amazing, usable AVOD).

Flying in Y, you can use the FCL at DOH. But, it is pretty bad, and I think AA AC are better (especially when comparing what they offer in ORD/JFK to DOH). You can't use any of the 'real' QR lounges unless you fly Business or higher.

Unless you can fly QR Business, most Y cheap fares on QR are not 100% accrual on AA (some are as low as 25% value). So, it really is not much value to stay on a OW carrier. I have often said EY has a better relationship with AA than QR (but EY Y product is worse than QR Y).

Rasheed
Old May 9, 2016, 7:32 am

QR platinum and request for chamomile tea in Y was turned down flat because they only have English tea for economy. Ask for a bottle of water, turned down too as they only have the big ones. The next few flights, I brought my own tea bags.
Old May 9, 2016, 7:39 am
Original Poster

rasheed:
Thank you for the detailed feedback. I agree that loyalty should go only so far. In principle I am willing to fly a non-OW carrier. However, in this case QR fare and schedule are good, and 25% accrual is better than nothing, so I am looking at QR.

tboons
I have learned that service is variable everywhere. Even otherwise, everything cannot be to my taste. So whatever I can control, I like to take care of myself: pajamas, slippers, headphones, eye-shades, small snacks to my taste, a water bottle, reading material, etc. These I bring my own, always. If the airline provides some, fine; if not, also fine.

Sadly, we can't carry your own leg-room and elbow-room, so that's where we do need to engage with the airline, its fleet and seat maps.

Last edited by aktchi; May 9, 2016 at 8:48 am
Old May 9, 2016, 7:50 am
Original Poster

OP here. Let me add that I need to arrange this trip on a very short notice, which is why I need and greatly appreciate the advice from QR regulars.

I have also posted a thread about managing a 9-12 hr connection at DOH. Please respond there if you can. Thanks!
Old Jun 11, 2016, 4:55 am

Programs: CX DM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton DM, Marriott Plat
Any treatment different when OWE flying in J?
Old Jun 11, 2016, 4:59 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by Ausriver
Any treatment different when OWE flying in J?
This thread is about Y...
Old Jun 11, 2016, 5:03 am

Ausriver you will normally be greeted by the CSM and usually get to select your choices from the menu before non-status passengers. This increases your chance of getting the meal you wish.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.