Community
Wiki Posts
Search

QR Al Mourjan Business Class Lounge

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2018, 2:32 am

Programs: QRPC Plat; Marriott Plat; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by oliver2002
If you are flying Qatar in business class departing DOH you can use the Al-M lounge. Flight time doesn't matter.
sorry I meant I am departing DOH in Y on QR but arriving on BA J

given both flight times are pretty similar at 6hr30 I wanted to find out the qualification rules for entry to the lounge
Old Dec 5, 2018, 10:26 am

Programs: AA EP
Whoa. So I read all the crazy hype of Al Mourjan and Al Safwa, and checked Al Mourjan out yesterday at a cost of $120, as my first time passing through found the oneworld elite fallover lounge borderline pathetic.

The facility and architecture is stunningly beautiful and cavernous, but thought the (only five) à la carte food options were totally mediocre and unappetizing, the buffet was very bland, the wait for a shower was over 40 min across both sides, and no quiet nap area availability for at least another 12 hours. Am I missing something? Certainly wouldn’t consider it worth $120, let alone $30. obviously better than the joke of a room (generous to call it a lounge) they redirect rest of the oneworld elites to, but I left feeling confused at the hype of this peculiar alice in wonderland lounge.
Traveller999 likes this.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by samm
... but thought the (only five) à la carte food options ....
I think that you may have missed something. Five à la carte food options in the main area for main courses, agreed. Actually, I've never found them unappetizing; but they are, indeed, mediocre. But on that same table, there are either one or two hot soups, as well as a selection of assorted salads, vegetables, cheeses, etc. Then, over on the side, there's a dessert display where I've never seen fewer than six different choices for dessert. Now go back downstairs and to the far end of the lounge, through the glass doors, into the deli area. You'll find a pretty decent selection of things to eat there, too, many of them cooked to order while you wait, so they're customizable.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 4:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Whoa. So I read all the crazy hype of Al Mourjan and Al Safwa, and checked Al Mourjan out yesterday at a cost of $120, as my first time passing through found the oneworld elite fallover lounge borderline pathetic.

The facility and architecture is stunningly beautiful and cavernous, but thought the (only five) à la carte food options were totally mediocre and unappetizing, the buffet was very bland, the wait for a shower was over 40 min across both sides, and no quiet nap area availability for at least another 12 hours. Am I missing something? Certainly wouldn’t consider it worth $120, let alone $30. obviously better than the joke of a room (generous to call it a lounge) they redirect rest of the oneworld elites to, but I left feeling confused at the hype of this peculiar alice in wonderland lounge.
I guess coming from the US you are used to ultra-high quality lounge offerings in terms or food and service.

But the al Mourjan lounge really isn't so bad. It's catering on a vast scale to a motley crew of nationalities with wildly different tastes, dietary requirements and fads. They could do better, I'm sure - but most of their guests are likely looking for a bite and a drink between flights, not looking for $120-worth of value.

That's a crazy price to pay for entry to any airport lounge, unless you'd otherwise be spending that amount of money in food and booze retail outlets around the airport; or, of course, unless you want to bag a sofa-bed one of the sleeping annexes while you wait out an overnight connection.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 12:50 pm

Programs: AA EP
Originally Posted by IAN-UK
I guess coming from the US you are used to ultra-high quality lounge offerings in terms or food and service.
I would argue my expectations have been lowered because of this! I was under the impression chain US domestic lounges are pretty dismal, save for the exception of Centurion locations. Specifically thinking of AA Admirals and Delta Sky Club. The Admirals locations that aren't remodeled are a joke, and the food offerings basically amount to trail mix and a vat of soup.

To your other points, yes, good insight. I understand most people inside didn't pay for it, which is why I tried to approach it from an angle of purely comparing it to past reviews I'd seen instead of "was it worth the cash walkup price". I'd seen some people online call it one of the finest lounges in the world, so was just overall perplexed. Would be curious to check out the first class one next time I'm in DOH.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 3:37 pm

Is there any way to buy up from Al Mourjan on J ticket to the Al Safwa?
Old Dec 8, 2018, 4:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
I would argue my expectations have been lowered because of this! I was under the impression chain US domestic lounges are pretty dismal, save for the exception of Centurion locations. .
Sorry, i was exercising irony: with some notable exceptions, airport lounges in the US are pretty uninspiring

Would be curious to check out the first class one next time I'm in DOH.
Unless you do it simply to satisfy curiosity, and don't mind parting with plenty hard cash to do that, it's not a good idea. The place is even more cavernous, though better decorated, often eerily unpopulated - and the food is fine but at the end of the day, meh.
Traveller999 likes this.
Old Dec 9, 2018, 1:16 pm

Hello. I am flying ORD-BOM via DOH. I am flying J on ORD-DOH sector but Econ on DOH-BOM. Ticket is booked using AA miles. Would i have access to Business lounge at DOH? I tried searching but couldn't find any specific answers. Thank you.
Old Dec 9, 2018, 6:34 pm

Programs: MH Gold, AC Super Elite, UA Platinum, Accor All Gold, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by anubond005
Hello. I am flying ORD-BOM via DOH. I am flying J on ORD-DOH sector but Econ on DOH-BOM. Ticket is booked using AA miles. Would i have access to Business lounge at DOH? I tried searching but couldn't find any specific answers. Thank you.
I believe you should be able to since award tickets are still eligible for Al Mourjan access.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 3:56 pm

Currently here, and the frustration from being booted from the internet ~15 times almost negates any positive the lounge has.

I have probably spent an aggregate 40 minutes turning off WiFi, in WiFi, forgetting network, restarting phone.

It’s so insane to me they have invested this money uet use the free airport WiFi.
Traveller999 likes this.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 9:23 pm

Besides the horrible “HIAQatar free WiFi” I thought I’d give a couple tips to people hoping to sleep in the quiet room overnight:

- Check in and claim your room as soon as you get there. We got the last one. I wanted to only use it an hour later but the lady said at midnight there likely wouldn’t be another opening til 7am.

- Bring your own pillow, eye covers, blanket, and ear plugs. Really needed myself a pillow and blanket in there

- You will never understand how loudly people snore and how often annoying text alerts go off until you are in that room. Don’t keep your expectations too high.
Traveller999 likes this.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 11:16 pm

Programs: QR Platinum, Star Alliance Gold (LH Sen)
Originally Posted by dval44
Currently here, and the frustration from being booted from the internet ~15 times almost negates any positive the lounge has.

I have probably spent an aggregate 40 minutes turning off WiFi, in WiFi, forgetting network, restarting phone.

It’s so insane to me they have invested this money uet use the free airport WiFi.
Yes I did experience this problems for a few month already, recently even in Al-Safwa.
I all the time did "report" the problems to the reception and asked kindly for feedback - but guess what, silence in my inbox.....
Old Jan 31, 2019, 12:39 am

Hi all, I am interested in purchasing access to Al Mourjan, but when I follow the link it asks me to put in my booking reference and there is no further information once I go into manage my booking. Is there supposed to be a link in that page?

Also, I am QR Gold, flying on an upgraded using miles ticket in Business. I know I don't get access to Al Mourjan through this, am I correct in that thinking?
Old Jan 31, 2019, 12:12 pm

Programs: QR Plat, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by jah718
I am QR Gold, flying on an upgraded using miles ticket in Business. I know I don't get access to Al Mourjan through this, am I correct in that thinking?
They tend to send Gold and Platinum members flying Y to Al Mourjan at peak hours, when business and first class frequent flyer lounges are too crowded.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 2:31 am

Originally Posted by Matt4

They tend to send Gold and Platinum members flying Y to Al Mourjan at peak hours, when business and first class frequent flyer lounges are too crowded.
exactly: on my last three stops in DOH (was on an upgraded ticked) i was denied once but granted access to Al Mourjan two times. may be ust luck but i would say there is some chance to get in even on award tickets!
so i would suggest to try first and if u are refused, u still can pay for entry if wanted ...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.