Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

Advice Requested: Skipping last leg in F, taking flight in Y

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2016, 4:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Enough

I'm booked BKK-DOH-CAI in F on QR on an award ticket. There's ~3H cx in DOH.

I have booked, leaving around 7AM the following day, DOH-TXL on QR in Y. My goal is to fly to DOH, sleep at the Al Safwa lounge (missing/abandoning the DOH-CAI segment), then catch the flight to TXL the next morning.

Do you see any problems with this plan? Any advice? Thanks!
Old Apr 19, 2016, 11:08 pm

Programs: QR Gold
Hello, Duberville, if your ticket for BKK-DOH-CAI, and DOH-TXL are two separate tickets, with two ticket numbers and booking references, then yes, there is no problem "missing" the CAI flight on purpose.

However, if they one ticket issued on one PNR/ticket number, then it WILL be a problem, and they would not let you travel to TXL; and most probably you would end up paying the fare difference whcih can be worth more than the ticket itself.
Old Apr 19, 2016, 11:57 pm

Programs: QR Platinum
sounds possible without luggage but i don t think they will give you a room at AL safwa with a 3h connection.
Old Apr 20, 2016, 12:11 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Does Qatar check for double bookings and cancel one or both tickets?
Old Apr 20, 2016, 1:42 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
As SENNINHA has said, the baggage issue will be a problem. If you have bags, you won't be able to short-check.

If you don't have bags, I would be inclined to Cancel the DOH-CAI leg, once you've finished in the Al Safwa - then head to your flight to TXL claiming a 'Family Emergency in Berlin'...or something like that.

As MSPeconomist has alluded to, be cautious of the double-booking issue, as QR can sometimes check this.

In the current world of heightened security, personally I wouldn't risk it, but obviously each to their own.

Safe travels,

M
Old Apr 20, 2016, 4:58 am

Programs: EBS, EY Gold Eite, EK Gold, QR Platinum, Accor Gold
But as OP is incoming from BKK in longhaul F, wouldn't he have access to Al Safwa no matter what class he is outgoing? The booking DOH-CAI seems a waste of Qpoints/Qmiles to me. Would OP have been better off booking awards BKK-DOH in F and then DOH-FRA in Y or maybe even J direct (if available)?
Old Apr 20, 2016, 7:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: Enough
They are two separate tickets... Theoretically, due to timing, it's possible to have flown the CAI segment, and then return to DOH to catch the flight to TXL, so I'm not too worried about being cancelled on.

I booked using GOL Smiles, so the CAI leg was no extra cost, but unfortunately, I can't make any changes.
Old Apr 20, 2016, 7:49 am

Originally Posted by durberville
They are two separate tickets... Theoretically, due to timing, it's possible to have flown the CAI segment, and then return to DOH to catch the flight to TXL, so I'm not too worried about being cancelled on.

I booked using GOL Smiles, so the CAI leg was no extra cost, but unfortunately, I can't make any changes.
After further reading, I probably have to correct myself regarding access to Al Safwa based on ur incoming F-flight. I think the rule here only applies if the outgoing is short houl (less than 5 hours). And DOH-FRA is unfortunately long houl.
Old Apr 20, 2016, 8:23 am

RUN4FUN what you have seen is a QR almost exact copy of the OW rules. QR have apparently extended those rules to also include longhaul. If that includes Y passengers coming off of F longhaul I have seen no confirmation nor denial. Remember this is QR!
Old Apr 20, 2016, 9:42 am

Originally Posted by remdk
RUN4FUN what you have seen is a QR almost exact copy of the OW rules. QR have apparently extended those rules to also include longhaul. If that includes Y passengers coming off of F longhaul I have seen no confirmation nor denial. Remember this is QR!
😂always maybe possibly apparently with QR! They are little blondy and sexy...to me they are the Marilyn Monroe of the skies😆
Old Apr 20, 2016, 3:42 pm

Programs: VS FC Gold, BA EC Gold, Amex Centurion, EK Gold, ex-G-ATVK driver
Remember they take your ongoing BP from you when you take a bed in the quiet area rooms, so it'll be difficult to hide what you're doing, if it needs hiding at all.

While it's always nice to get a room for free, and these rooms are reasonably appointed and clean, they are no more than two or three star en suite accommodation. The safest way is to shell out and pre-book a room at the airport hotel. These are much larger rooms and unlike the al Safwa room you'll get drinking water provided too, what luxury!
Old Apr 20, 2016, 6:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Howard Long
Remember they take your ongoing BP from you when you take a bed in the quiet area rooms, so it'll be difficult to hide what you're doing, if it needs hiding at all.

While it's always nice to get a room for free, and these rooms are reasonably appointed and clean, they are no more than two or three star en suite accommodation. The safest way is to shell out and pre-book a room at the airport hotel. These are much larger rooms and unlike the al Safwa room you'll get drinking water provided too, what luxury!
A lounge in a hot dry climate doesn't give out free drinking water? Yikes!
Old Apr 21, 2016, 1:14 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
A lounge in a hot dry climate doesn't give out free drinking water? Yikes!
They offer free everything, but you cannot take food & drink (which you have been given while in the Al Safwa) into the Sleeper Rooms.
Old Apr 23, 2016, 12:15 am

Programs: VS FC Gold, BA EC Gold, Amex Centurion, EK Gold, ex-G-ATVK driver
To be fair, if you ask for water they'll bring you some, you just have to remember to ask when shown to your room, keeping in mind it'll take about 15 minutes for the 0.5l plastic bottle (sans glass) to arrive. So just keep that in your itinerary! It's beyond me why they can't have bottles of water in the rooms and/or glasses by default, or even at the spa/quiet room reception.

Perhaps there's a glassware ban for some reason, and a plastic vessel isn't worthy, so you get nothing. You can slurp directly from the tap if you're uncouth like what I am, but no, I don't understand it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.