Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

Ramadan Master Thread - 10 March 2024 to 9 April 2024

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 13, 2016, 2:03 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: remdk
What is Ramadan?
Ramadan is the ninth month in the Muslim calendar where Muslims fast from sunrise to sunset.
Ramadan is a holy month to Muslims and also a joyous and spiritual time. I am concentrating upon that which most affects Non-Muslim QR passengers during Ramadan.

When is Ramadan?
Because the Muslim´calendar is a lunar calendar the date in the Gregorian, or solar, calendar changes every year. Each year it is about 11 days earlier than the previous year.
Ramadan 2017 was 27 May to 25 June.
Ramadan 2018 was16 May to 14 June.
Ramadan 2019 was 6 May to 4 June.
Ramadan 2020 was 24 April to 23 May.
Ramadan 2021 was 12 April to 11 May.
Ramadan 2022 was 2 April to 2 May.
Ramadan 2023 wss 22 March to 23 April.
Ramadan 2024 is 10 March to 9 April.
Ramadan 2025 is 1 March to 30 March.
Ramadan 2026 is 18 February to 19 March.
Ramadan 2027 is 8 February to 9 March.

When does Ramadan actually start?
The Muslim day starts at sunset and continues to sunset. Sightings for the new moon are taken at sunset and when sighted the month of Ramadan has started. Fasting begins later in the Muslim day at sunrise. Thus if Ramadan starts on June 6th then it is the sighting of the new moon at sunset on June 5th that marks the official start. Tha actual start date may be different due to the fact that we live on a globe and it takes 24 hours to rotate on its axis! The dates quoted are for Qatar.

Are there exceptions to the rules?
There are exceptions to fasting rules such as the aged, sick, pregnant women, travellers, etc.
Some branches of Islam demand payment of a fine or a penance, such as feeding the poor, for breaking the fast whilst other branches do not. In some branches of Islam travellers may voluntarily choose to continue fasting whilst other branches forbid fasting whilst travelling.

When does Fasting take place?
Most agree that the times of fasting are from Sunrise to Sunset. Others use Dawn and Dusk. The latter could cause serious health problems for those who live at latitude 48.5 or greater. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twilight for an explanation.

How does Ramadan affect QR?
QR adheres to the rules of Ramadan as required by the State of Qatar.
Food is always available inside the airport and on all flights. This is because of the traveller rules.
Non alcoholic drinks are always available both in the airport and on all flights.
Alcohol is NOT available at Hamad International Airport either inside or outside the airport buildings, even at the Airport hotel. However in 2023 alcohol was being served in at least the Al Safwa and Al Mourjan airport lounges. At the moment it is not known if this also applied to other lounges. Pleas look at this years postings to see other lounges also served alcohol.

Alcohol is not available on most flights to/from muslim countries. Certain muslim countries, such as Malaysia, are regarded as multicultural countries and the in-flight alcohol ban does not apply. On all other flights to/from DOH alcohol is available after departure. The cabin crew decide when departure is. For some it is when you board the aircraft, for others closing the doors, others pushback and yet others after take-off. Where alcohol is permitted on the flight then it will be served by the glass, the bottle remaining in the galley. Pre departure alcoholic drinks as well as in flight drinks will normally be served on flights to/from DOH where alcohol is permitted. There may be exceptions. In 2023 AMM, AUH and SHJ served alcohol, on flights, at least some of the time. The AMM lounge also served alcohol. (See post 382)
In every respect, other than alcohol, service is unchanged throughout QR. BUT where alcohol is available it is not normally on display, but served by the glass from the bar or galley and sometimes needs to be requested..
Duty free alcohol is available at QDF. But there may be restrictions such as delivery to the aircraft door.

How does Ramadan affect The State of Qatar?
If you leave the airport during Ramadan please remember
1) the sale and public consumption of Alcohol is banned by law during Ramadan. In several, but not all, hotels alcohol may be obtained by residents from room service.
2) It is extremely offensive, and in some Muslim countries, including Qatar, a criminal offence, to be seen eating, drinking, smoking or chewing gum in public during the period of fasting.
According to https://discoverqatar.qatarairways.c...madan/overview
"If you need to drink or eat, please do so in the privacy of your own room or in a place where you won’t be seen."
If you need to eat or drink please do it discretely and out of sight of others.

Want to know more?
If you want more information then http://marhaba.qa/ramadan-dos-and-donts-in-qatar/ is specific to Qatar. If you are also interested in health issues then A_guide_to_healthy_fasting is worth looking at, not only for health issues.

This Wiki and thread is about how Ramadan affects QR passengers.

Thanks are due to IAN-UK, Lobengula, RUN4FUN, sharp5flat9, SullyofDoha, VH-RMD and others for help in making this as accurate as possible.

Print Wikipost

Ramadan Master Thread - 10 March 2024 to 9 April 2024

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2017, 2:05 pm

Programs: IC Amb :-(, UA silver, BA Gold, SPG Plat, A-Club Plat, Marriott Plat
will alcohol be available in the lounges during Ramadan?
Old May 25, 2017, 2:12 pm
Original Poster

catharsis If you look at the Wiki on http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar...y-25-june.html you will see that alcohol is NOT available in HIA during Ramadan. Nor is it available on flights to/from Muslim destinations.
Please use the Ramadan thread given above for your Ramadan questions.
Old May 25, 2017, 10:24 pm

Programs: Qatar Airways Privilege Club Platinum; Accor Le Club Platinum
I am sure they will have bottles of So Jennie for you. Enjoy! Lol
Old May 26, 2017, 4:03 am

Programs: IC Amb :-(, UA silver, BA Gold, SPG Plat, A-Club Plat, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by remdk
catharsis If you look at the Wiki on http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar...y-25-june.html you will see that alcohol is NOT available in HIA during Ramadan. Nor is it available on flights to/from Muslim destinations.
Please use the Ramadan thread given above for your Ramadan questions.
Thanks for your answer and for providing the link to the Wiki.
I had checked the QR Dashboard at http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar...dashboard.html as well as the wiki in this thread for the info but had not come across the thread you mentioned. (ETA: Because I'm blind, Apparently!)

the general Ramadan thread you mention above might make a useful addition to the QR Dashboard? It certainly answered my questions on the topic.

I have added a link in the thread wiki above.

I apologise if my question caused any offense, and I'm actually vaguely looking forward to trying So Jennie if only to tick that item off the list :-)

Last edited by catharsis; Jun 2, 2017 at 1:06 pm
Old May 26, 2017, 5:57 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by catharsis
Thanks for your answer and for providing the link to the Wiki.
I had checked the QR Dashboard at http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar...dashboard.html as well as the wiki in this thread for the info but had not come across the thread you mentioned.

the general Ramadan thread you mention above might make a useful addition to the QR Dashboard? It certainly answered my questions on the topic.

I have added a link in the thread wiki above.

I apologise if my question caused any offense, and I'm actually vaguely looking forward to trying So Jennie if only to tick that item off the list :-)
catharsis The Ramadan guide widget is at the right hand end of the third line of widgets of the 'Information and discussion on QR products and the customer experience' section of the dashboard.

Thank you for adding the link. I will expand the entry shortly.

Ramadan affects all of QR, not just lounges, so I am requesting the moderators to move these posts to the Ramadan thread where all discussion and comments about Ramadan belong.
Old May 26, 2017, 12:13 pm
Original Poster

Provided the new moon is sighted this evening the month of Ramadan starts today at sunset with the first daytime fast tomorrow.

The 'How does Ramadan affect The State of Qatar?' of the Wiki has been updated with much needed guidance as to how non-muslims should behave when outside the airport and still stay healthy in the intense summer heat.
Old May 27, 2017, 12:13 pm

Hi everyone. I am currently at DXB in the 1st Class Lounge. Alcoholic beverages are being served from 8PM to 3AM. I am currently trying a nice South African red, and I've had the bartender mix me an Old Fashioned, just because
I also walked over to the Qatar Airways Premier Lounge (for those of you travelling in 1st Class to DOH) and have been informed that alcoholic beverages will not be displayed at the bar. However, they are indeed offering alchoholic beverages to those that 'ask' for it. Happy flying
Old May 27, 2017, 12:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SullyofDoha
Hi everyone. I am currently at DXB in the 1st Class Lounge. Alcoholic beverages are being served from 8PM to 3AM. I am currently trying a nice South African red, and I've had the bartender mix me an Old Fashioned, just because
I also walked over to the Qatar Airways Premier Lounge (for those of you travelling in 1st Class to DOH) and have been informed that alcoholic beverages will not be displayed at the bar. However, they are indeed offering alchoholic beverages to those that 'ask' for it. Happy flying
Thank you SullyofDoha for that tip. But I think that I need to point out to others that this is in DXB not DOH. Qatar has stricter Ramadan laws than UAE. The rules in Qatar are very simple: No alcohol anywhere except in a private home.
Old May 27, 2017, 1:03 pm

Thank you SullyofDoha for that tip. But I think that I need to point out to others that this is in DXB not DOH. Qatar has stricter Ramadan laws than UAE. The rules in Qatar are very simple: No alcohol anywhere except in a private home.
Sorry Remdk, I thought that I was clear about being in Dubai (DXB). Anyways, as you note, Qatar is a much more conservative beast when it comes to Ramadan. As a side note, several restaurants in Dubai are even putting on brunches during Ramadan this year. Oil would probably have to drop to 30usd a barrel in Qatar before they followed suit..and maybe not even then!
Old May 27, 2017, 1:20 pm
Original Poster

SullyofDoha no apologies necessary. You would be surprised how many are geographically challenged and think they are the same country!
Old May 27, 2017, 11:39 pm

SullyofDoha no apologies necessary. You would be surprised how many are geographically challenged and think they are the same country!
Which has happened to me many times when I try to explain to people where I live!
Old May 29, 2017, 7:34 am

Programs: Mucci des canapes, Skywards Gold, BAEC, IC Plat Amb, LH FTV
In case anyone is interested, a couple of experiences. Flew from the UK to Doha on Saturday, alcoholic drinks offered proactively and bottles brought into the cabin for service. The cabin manager advised us all via PA of Ramadan restrictions in Qatar when we landed. Then flew on to Male, alcoholic drinks offered but served in the galley.
Old May 29, 2017, 8:30 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR
Just to add to the above post - No bottles displayed in the A380 Bar but everything was available. In Al Safwa no alcohol and it was very quiet on leaving DOH pre departure Krug was served before the doors closed.
Old May 29, 2017, 7:51 pm

Does anyone knows if DOH-BEY are dry flights during Ramadan?
Old May 29, 2017, 10:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LoungeBum
Does anyone knows if DOH-BEY are dry flights during Ramadan?
LoungeBum according to Bombardier in post 112 of this thread DOH-BEY is not dry during Ramadan. This is because, like Malaysia, Lebanon is a multicultural country.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.