Wiki Posts
Search

New to QR - First Impressions

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2015, 7:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC QR WS*P
New to QR, looking forward to it

Just booked my first (of many) trips using QR. I am switching over from AC, and will be traveling a few times per year from DPS to LHR, JFK, or YUL. I have heard a lot good things, and am looking forward to seeing it all first hand.

Just wanted to introduce myself, been around FT since 2011, but mostly hanging around the AC threads.

Cheers
Old Dec 23, 2015, 2:39 am

Programs: QF QR Silver, DJ,TG,MH
Originally Posted by kelapstick
Just booked my first (of many) trips using QR. I am switching over from AC, and will be traveling a few times per year from DPS to LHR, JFK, or YUL. I have heard a lot good things, and am looking forward to seeing it all first hand.

Just wanted to introduce myself, been around FT since 2011, but mostly hanging around the AC threads.

Cheers
Welcome to this forum (and welcome to QR).

As I have done, you will enjoy the experience in the air. Their hardware, onboard catering and flight crew are terrific. Even their lounges in DOH (and QR's own outstation lounges) are right up there with the best in the world.
I'm only a annual vacation J flyer, but they've hooked me.

Like most airlines, IRROPS, FF advice/benefits and back of house support can be a little testing - not that I have directly experienced any major issues, but you do see them float through this forum from time to time.

As said, welcome, goodluck and enjoy.
Old Dec 23, 2015, 11:28 am

Programs: QR Plat, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond, IHG Gold

Cheers
Welcome to QR. Hope you enjoy your experience. M
Old Dec 24, 2015, 8:34 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher

Cheers
Welcome to the QR Forum kelapstick

I hope you find us a friendly and helpful bunch.

Switching from AC to QR, is a big move, but I think you'll enjoy QR - although the new J product on the 787 is almost identical to that on QR.

We're here to help, and look forward to seeing you on the forum.

Safe travels, and welcome once again,

M
Old Dec 27, 2015, 3:27 am

Programs: Not stuck with an Alliance anymore, Star gold, OW Saph
Welcome onboard kelaptisk

I'm travelling few times a year between DPS and CDG in J or F with QR and enjoyed every time.

The staff in DPS (airport and city) are great, were stuck two days last month with the volcano eruption. They have done their max and finally protect us on SQ from DPS to CDG via SIN , even crediting the miles of these flights on our accounts . I can say that the SQ experience was the worst we had these past 10 years on the route.
Old Dec 27, 2015, 3:39 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Welcome kelapstick - look forward to hearing your thoughts after your first flight!
Old Jan 2, 2016, 5:58 am
Hilton 10+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
I am going to hijack this thread to give a mini-reviews and thoughts after my first flight with QR. This was a A359 service FRA-DOH in J. I have a few experiences of long-haul flights in J on a hanful of carries, so not that much comparisons with others.
I was blown away, this was above any J flight I have done except the LCY-JFK service.

- The hard product is great for lounging, very comfortable during this day flight. Lots of storage space. However the table position is annoying, to say the least. I tried to have a short power nap and I kept banging the table (I am quite tall and sleep on my side). I am not sure how I would fare on a night flight.
- Great service, nothing was too much, the FA constantly topped up my glass, answered to every requests. They were great. Some complains of the robotic service (often on the BA board in contrast to BA FA's banter) but I could not sense that. Maybe I do not care much for banter. The food was excellent, as were the wines (I had a 2011 Monbousquest and the Vendanges tardives Gewurtzstraminer).
- Ground service was also very welcome: the dedicated fast-track for immigration in the arrival lounge is brilliant, as the general queue was very long.
- On a side note, I loved the A359. It looks to me to have all the benefits of the 787 (better air pressure and humidity, large windows), be more spacious and have none of the downsides (not stupid window shading that left too much light, no weird noises).

Will I take them again after that experience ? I would love too because that was really good but:
- the seat was not great for me in bed position due to the table.
- If DOH is not my final destination and I connect to another long haul, the prospect of the mid-itinerary stop does not appeal to me. I would not mind if the second flight was a short one (so going in or around the GCC).
- Main point, the comments of the CEO after the preliminary report of the MIA incident are very worrying. I did not feel unsafe but I am not keen to fly on an airline where the top person responsible for safety shows no safety culture. Finding another scapegoat in contradiction from the report and declaring that this happened all the time and is safe ? This was stupid.

So not sure, maybe if the price is right (and also I do not fly East very often, once or twice a year) and their CEO become wiser.
Old Feb 9, 2016, 6:31 am

Programs: BA Silver, MUCCI des Soins Medicaux, Le médecin personnel à PUCCI GALORE
New to QR - First Impressions

I'm sitting in the T4 lounge at LHR as a newcomer to QR, having had blind loyalty to BA previously.

The service is exceptional, I have been called by my first name throughout and despite being about to board a full A380 the lounge is coping, though it felt very cosy when I first arrived.

Lounge food so so in taste but looked good. Beats T5 any day.

Laurent Perrier Rose is a lovely drink and so far a great way to start the trip. I will keep posting as time allows. Only away for a few days so will compare both directions and aircraft - A380 vs A350...
Old Feb 9, 2016, 6:36 am

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by badoc
I'm sitting in the T4 lounge at LHR as a newcomer to QR, having had blind loyalty to BA previously.

The service is exceptional, I have been called by my first name throughout and despite being about to board a full A380 the lounge is coping, though it felt very cosy when I first arrived.

Laurent Perrier Rose is a lovely drink and so far a great way to start the trip. I will keep posting as time allows. Only away for a few days so will compare both directions and aircraft - A380 vs A350...
you will love the QR service and food too (not much of a drinker here !) . After about six long hauls, it is my first choice.
Currently trying to find space on QR to switch from EY.
Old Feb 9, 2016, 7:25 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, MUCCI, Elite Fan of MO, ALL Accor Live Gold
The service is generally very good in the T4 lounge, and they do have a very good selection of Champagne
Old Feb 9, 2016, 7:48 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

But hang on... isn't there a thread on the BA forum that states that all BA outstation lounges are better than the other airlines outstation lounges?

So, it can't be true that the QR lounge at LHR is better than the BA lounge at DXB.

Old Feb 9, 2016, 10:24 am

Programs: QR Gold

The lounge service is great. But they usually address you as as Mr/Mrs X
Old Feb 9, 2016, 11:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
I have to say QR has some of the lowest Business fares from CAI & ARN etc. Just incredible. I have never flown with QR and am so tempted.
So where should I bank my miles, with QR or another one world airline?
Old Feb 9, 2016, 10:58 pm

Programs: Mucci Entry Level, BA Gold, EK Pleb, SK Pleb, QR Pleb
I am also "cheating" and had two long-haul with QR recently. I have one trip later this month to JNB and will do a TR with the focus on comparing QR and BA. So far some things are better on QR and BA are better at other things. Service level onboard is definitely better on QR.

DOH lounge beats GF at T5. BA J seat is better than QR. IFE better on QR. Ah well, I will save it to my TR
Old Feb 10, 2016, 2:07 am

Programs: QR Platinum
Originally Posted by Lobengula
. BA J seat is better than QR. IFE better on QR. Ah well, I will save it to my TR
Well, i think you can hardly compare this BA A380 business seat

with this QR A380 J product

While QR seating J in A380 is 1-2-1 in BA it is 2-4-2

Last edited by Crisu69; Feb 10, 2016 at 2:15 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.