Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A340 refurbished business class

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26, 2015, 11:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
These are the same seats as AA Transcontinental J aren't they?
Old Dec 30, 2015, 6:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Land-of-Miles
These are the same seats as AA Transcontinental J aren't they?
Yes, although QR have changed the colour scheme and have a few customised options.
Old Jan 1, 2016, 7:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, QRPC Silver, Hilton Gold, Bonvoy Gold
thanks everyone for their advice!

So during OLCI, I saw that three out of 6 seats were unavailable, and the other three were labelled bassinets. So luckily I had to go to the airport early, and asked if I could get my seat changed to 1E, and the lady unblocked it for me immediately!

Only 2 out of the 6 first row seats were occupied (including me) and the footrest is massive! The advice really helped, I'm so thankful to everyone! One thing I liked about this new product is that there is much more room for storage compared to the 777s - i hate putting my bag up in the compartments as I'm tiny and it's hard to reach!

For a day flight I would not hesitate to choose the A340 because I can keep all my things within reach, but not for a night flight perhaps. I have to say the seat felt not much bigger than Y. Sitting in the A380J right after, I would peg the seat's width at about 19 inches. One thing that helped is that the armrest could be pushed down, (which no one else did, strangely?) and i felt that it gave more room and felt less claustrophobic.

The length of the seat in recline was also really odd, my feet just dangled off the seat and it wasn't comfortable unlike the 777. For the future though, I don't think the smaller footrests in the rows behind would bother me too much when it comes to feeling that your feet have no space, since my feet didn't even reach the footrest when lying down!

Daytime flight i would pick A340J>B777J but for a nighttime flight in the future I would go for the B777. Unfortunately, the night flight out of KUL is operated only the A340 lol.

So thanks again for everyone's advice! Took a few pictures but since it as a night flight everything's really dark O.O
Old Feb 12, 2016, 3:15 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Where is all this extra storage compared to the 777?

Just got off a 7 hour flight on the A340 and it was horrible - no storage that I could find, a tiny footwell (as couldn't get row one) and the bed far too short for anyone over 6 foot.

Will be actively avoiding A340's going forward
Old Feb 12, 2016, 4:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, QRPC Silver, Hilton Gold, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by darthlemsip
Where is all this extra storage compared to the 777?

Just got off a 7 hour flight on the A340 and it was horrible - no storage that I could find, a tiny footwell (as couldn't get row one) and the bed far too short for anyone over 6 foot.

Will be actively avoiding A340's going forward
I liked the storage space around the head area and the below the control panels. Whereas on the 777 there is virtually no space for me to place anything near me on a day flight. I suppose this is personal preference

I've only ever sat in row 1 and I'm very short so luckily I didn't face the problems you had.
Old Feb 22, 2016, 1:34 pm

Programs: *A Gold, IHG Platinum Elite, Sixt Platinum
Thumbs down FRA-DOH on A340 J

Originally Posted by crombiestone
For me as a single traveller my preference goes to the 787/A380/A350 window single row pod seats . Second favourite is the B777 with aisle access . I have to say I found the refurbed A340 seats (window) the most cramped of all 3 . It was only a short 3 hour hop but I much prefer the 777 or even old A330 over the refurbed flatbeds on a short 3 hour flight .
Absolutely true. these pods must have been designed by someone that doesn't have two legs or two arms. Have suffered through the experience of not being able to put my left leg to rest and not being able to put my right arm to rest because there is some seat thing always getting in the way, either the from front seat-pod or the "armrest", that slopes up where you would wish to put your arm while seated.

No way to lie flat, as that funny little footrest can't contain two feet when lying flat.

This aircraft was used for a 6 hours flight FRA-DOH last Tuesday and I regret taking it. The 350WB seating is so much better! As is the 777 which gives you plenty of stretching room to the sides and for the feet.
Attached Images  

Last edited by off-shore; Feb 22, 2016 at 1:50 pm
Old May 16, 2016, 9:49 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
This doesn't sound very promising for 193 cm, size 46 shoe me on the A346 DOH-CMB and return, but at least these are daytime flights.
Old May 18, 2016, 9:49 am

Programs: QR Gold
Given the seats are not angled, makes no sense why the footrest is.
Old May 23, 2016, 3:00 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Subcard
Originally Posted by JDiver
This doesn't sound very promising for 193 cm, size 46 shoe me on the A346 DOH-CMB and return, but at least these are daytime flights.
The seats are fine for sub 5 hour day flights. Quite comfortable for eating/lounging and watching a movie.
Old May 24, 2016, 6:34 am

Originally Posted by flyyme
Given the seats are not angled, makes no sense why the footrest is.
The footrest is next to where the person in front's head is (when they're lying down). It's a way of squeezing in more seats and is the same as the 787s and 380s, albeit somewhat narrower (those planes are 1-2-1).
Old May 24, 2016, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by ppp909
The footrest is next to where the person in front's head is (when they're lying down). It's a way of squeezing in more seats and is the same as the 787s and 380s, albeit somewhat narrower (those planes are 1-2-1).
Seats on A380 and 787 are totally different from the tiny A340/330 seats.
Old May 24, 2016, 9:53 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by GTR56
The seats are fine for sub 5 hour day flights. Quite comfortable for eating/lounging and watching a movie.
Shukran! I figure for daytime flights like that, I'll be fine - and have selected window seats. Iirc, the seat is very similar to the AA A321T three class Business product used between JFK and LAX or SFO, and I've done those fairly comfortably - though I've not got lots of foot room and have to compensate.

Originally Posted by brunos
Seats on A380 and 787 are totally different from the tiny A340/330 seats.
Yes, they are. As N1Rotate so helpfully posted:

Originally Posted by N1Rotate
Correct, though there are two types of seat on the refurbished A330s but most have the Diamond seat..

B/E Super Diamond on the A350, A380, and 787.
B/E Diamond on the A340, most A330, some A320, and A319.
B/E Minipod on 777, and some A330.
The B/E Aerospace Super Diamond is a top notch all aisle access seat. Diamond and Minipods are all 2x2x2 "climb over" seats.
Old May 24, 2016, 11:49 am

OK so I meant that the way your feet are squeezed in is the same, i.e. next to the head of the person in front, that being the context of the question. It's well-established further up the thread that they're not the same tour of seat.
Old Nov 12, 2016, 8:17 pm

Programs: CX DM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton DM, Marriott Plat
Just done a RT trip CMB-DOH in A346. Seats are perfectly fine for a nap, but for flights longer than 5 hours.... you just can't turn and sleep on your side. The windows seats will only be good for couples, very hard to cross your neighbour, it was my wife took the windows seat on both occasions and I wouldn't feel uncomfortable for her to climb over me.

The controller is in a terrible location, so easy to touch it with your arm, just terrible, have to pull out and put it somewhere else so I can watch a movie.
Old Apr 12, 2017, 11:14 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Hello. I'm flying DOH-CMB in June. Aircraft is A346 with 4 rows of 2-2-2. Is this the refurbished/fully flat config?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.