FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Qatar Airways | Privilege Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar-airways-privilege-club-644/)
-   -   In-Flight WiFi (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar-airways-privilege-club/1731702-flight-wifi.html)

majoreyeswater Dec 14, 2015 2:36 pm

In-Flight WiFi

Seems to be a more sensible WiFi pricing policy - would like to see it free in J as well as F, tho! At least it'll be in place before my AMS-DOH-KUL next week :D

I wonder if 'trip' is one flight or connecting flights on one itinerary? We can but hope...

Full release here.

DOHA, Qatar – Qatar Airways is pleased to announce that Ooredoo, the fastest-growing telecommunications company in the world, will be the exclusive three-year sponsor of on-board Wi-Fi across the airline’s state-of-the-art fleet.

This pioneering partnership sees two of the country’s biggest brands come together to offer customers worldwide one of the best on-board connections.
Effective December 17, to celebrate Qatar National Day, Qatar Airways passengers on all connected aircraft will enjoy free Wi-Fi for the first 15 minutes courtesy of Ooredoo.

For those passengers who wish to remain connected in the air, Qatar Airways offers a customer-friendly and easy payment programme, based on the amount of time needed. One hour of connectivity is just 5USD; three hours of connectivity is just 10USD; and for passengers on longer Qatar Airways flights, a set price of 20USD for the duration of their trip is available, regardless of the number of hours used.

Guests in Qatar Airways First Class cabin on board the airline’s A380 will enjoy complimentary Wi-Fi for the duration of their trip.

tuchop Dec 14, 2015 9:08 pm

Why are they excluding the 777s? :confused:

endet Dec 14, 2015 11:02 pm

Originally Posted by tuchop (Post 25865292)
Why are they excluding the 777s? :confused:

Because only the A380 has a first class I would say.

remdk Dec 14, 2015 11:10 pm

majoreyeswater regarding "I wonder if 'trip' is one flight or connecting flights on one itinerary? We can but hope..." Do not hope. It wil almost certainly NOT happen.

QRs definition of a passenger is very narrow. It appears to be: You are a passenger from when you enter the lounge as a departing passenger until you disembark the aircraft at its destination. You are then either on Arrival or in Transit. You become a passenger again when you enter the departure lounge again. Very narrow, probably too narrow a definition but this is how it appears to me and several others on this Forum

msm2000uk Dec 15, 2015 4:05 am

I think the word 'trip' is comparable to the word 'journey'.

When you do Online Check-in, the website usually shows your Journeys. If you have a connecting flight, is will show Journey 1 and Journey 2.

As a result, if you wanted WiFi on both Journeys, you would obviously have to pay twice - once per Journey.

I appreciate this may be annoying for some, but it is how other airlines function in terms of their WiFi offerings.

Let's hope the speed is improved too - I believe Sixth Freedom mentioned a while ago that the WiFi would be changing, but also mentioned the speeds would increase.

Steve_ZA Dec 15, 2015 4:23 am

I guess the speed will not be great early on if everyone uses their free 15 minutes at the same time.

tuchop Dec 15, 2015 6:23 am

Originally Posted by endet (Post 25865685)
Because only the A380 has a first class I would say.

I meant why are they not adding WiFi to their 777s? The a350, a330s and 787s don't have first class and they've got/will get WiFi..

endet Dec 15, 2015 10:52 am

Originally Posted by tuchop (Post 25866671)
I meant why are they not adding WiFi to their 777s? The a350, a330s and 787s don't have first class and they've got/will get WiFi..

AFAIK A350s and 787s were delivered with it. A330s have been refurbished recently (see "new" business class thread).

So far only one 777 has been refurbished, but only to 10 abreast seating in Economy, not much else.

I am sure that once Qatar Airways is refurbishing the whole 777 plane(s) with new seats in every class we will also get Wifi.

Sky Fly Dec 16, 2015 5:02 am

That's some good news! Thanks for sharing!

tuchop Dec 16, 2015 8:39 pm

According to Doha News (not sure how reliable of a source it is) all QR planes will get wifi by June 2016, and that's including the 777s.

majoreyeswater Dec 25, 2015 7:16 am

Originally Posted by Sky Fly (Post 25872183)
That's some good news! Thanks for sharing!

Let's not hold our breath. The new pricing wasn't effective on QR274 a few days ago and signal / transfer rate was bloody useless. Food in J pretty disappointing too - which I'll admit is rare for QR in my experience.
Krug still in the lounge, tho.

saint77 Dec 31, 2015 3:55 am

difficult to believe they cannot provide (free or paid from FA) for their near useless crap internet offering, it really is absurd that you are fumbling for a credit card to charge $2 or $5 in your seat, that you quite likely paid USD1500 to 2000 a leg for?

FlyerTalker37 Mar 23, 2016 5:04 am

Hi,

On 3 different legs I was unable to access to the wi-fi poral on my phone (Sony Z5 Premium). Has anyone experienced the same issue ?

Thanks

joc111 Dec 9, 2016 10:29 am

Any update on the proposed roll-out of Wi-Fi on QR's 777 fleet? Flying JFK-DOH-MEL in late January.

msm2000uk Dec 9, 2016 10:32 am

Originally Posted by joc111 (Post 27587658)
Any update on the proposed roll-out of Wi-Fi on QR's 777 fleet? Flying JFK-DOH-MEL in late January.

You won't have WiFi on your flights on the 777.

Any changes, will come after March 2017.

M