FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Qatar Airways | Privilege Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar-airways-privilege-club-644/)
-   -   In-Flight WiFi (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar-airways-privilege-club/1731702-flight-wifi.html)

nmsondrej Sep 28, 2023 12:59 pm

Hi, i was this month on 8 qr flights (eu-doh-se asia) and as it was business trip i really had to work on something. I must say qr wifi sucks no matter what planes/system it is. I paid for access (a380 usd2p for 200mb, b777 usd10 for entire flight and so) but it didnt work most of the time - from some reason there is no sat coverage over india… gosh i was so mad i had things to do and impossible. Stupid norwegian low cost has better wifi….

SeeBuyFly Sep 28, 2023 1:10 pm

There is no coverage over India, because the provider used by QR hasn't been approved by the Indian government. Some other airlines are able to provide service over India.

Now over a year ago I found myself able to join a videoconference from a QR 777. It was a bit glitchy, and disconnected completely after a while and couldn't be started up again; but apparently video was not blocked from the start. I am sure they have figured it out by now, however. Apologies to all other passengers on that flight...

ph-ndr Sep 29, 2023 2:32 am

Originally Posted by nmsondrej (Post 35620486)
Hi, i was this month on 8 qr flights (eu-doh-se asia) and as it was business trip i really had to work on something. I must say qr wifi sucks no matter what planes/system it is. I paid for access (a380 usd2p for 200mb, b777 usd10 for entire flight and so) but it didnt work most of the time - from some reason there is no sat coverage over india… gosh i was so mad i had things to do and impossible. Stupid norwegian low cost has better wifi….

Pretending any onboard wifi on any carrier is as dependable as anything on the ground is just setting yourself up for failure. It's a bonus when it works, and that's where it ends.

-A

Alchemist007 Sep 30, 2023 3:00 pm

Does anyone know if those B777s with the ancient 2-2-2 cabin layout in business have Wi-Fi? I'm flying GRU-DOH, would be helpful to know. Thanks

gophish11 Oct 3, 2023 12:04 pm

Originally Posted by nmsondrej (Post 35620486)

It depends on your route. I was recently on DOH-SEA and had outstanding WiFi for many hours while flying over the gulf, Iran, Caspian Sea, Kazakhstan, and Russia. It finally dropped as we approached the Arctic, but was solid until then, and came back as we reached British Columbia.

mgold07 Nov 22, 2023 8:13 pm

77W wi-fi

My ATL-DOH flights shows "on board wi-fi service available" but my DOH-ATL flight shows "No onboard wi-fi service." It's the same aircraft both directions in that market. Why would it show no wi-fi available on DOH-ATL?

Schwann Nov 22, 2023 8:21 pm

Originally Posted by mgold07 (Post 35765890)
My ATL-DOH flights shows "on board wi-fi service available" but my DOH-ATL flight shows "No onboard wi-fi service." It's the same aircraft both directions in that market. Why would it show no wi-fi available on DOH-ATL?

I think it's a mistake, all those flights are operated by QR aircraft that have it.

boybi Jan 28, 2024 8:35 pm

Wifi/internet is totally useless in B787s.

ph-ndr Jan 28, 2024 9:37 pm

Originally Posted by boybi (Post 35950517)
Wifi/internet is totally useless in B787s.

Just to clarify: you mean on 787-8? It's been well covered in this thread that the bandwidth available on 787-8 is mostly not usable.

787-9 has a newer system and tends to work well and usually gives 10+ mbit bandwidth per client.

-A

boybi Jan 28, 2024 10:27 pm

Yes, 787-8s. Why don't QR fix this? It's been like this for years.

lileor May 5, 2024 1:11 am

Will I need a Privilege Club account to pay for unlimited WiFi onboard? Have upcoming flights in J and crediting to AS, but will sign up for PC beforehand if it's required.

surryson May 5, 2024 3:44 am

No. You don’t need an account to buy wifi.

Having an account will however give you 1hrs free wifi.

lileor May 5, 2024 11:40 am

Originally Posted by surryson (Post 36211113)
No. You don’t need an account to buy wifi.

Having an account will however give you 1hrs free wifi.

Thanks, appreciate the info!

ph-ndr May 5, 2024 10:33 pm

Originally Posted by boybi (Post 35950652)
Yes, 787-8s. Why don't QR fix this? It's been like this for years.

They probably bought a product with a certain length contract and they likely won't or will not attempt to get out of that.

-A