Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Terminal to nowhere

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2015, 7:17 am

Programs: BA Gold/OWE
It depends so much on which gate you arrive at, and whether your origin means you have to pass through transit security or not.

If you arrive and depart from low-numbered gates (<10) on the A, B or C concourses, and there is no security requirement, it takes no more than 10 mins gate to gate.

I haven't spotted any logic as to which origins require security processing and which don't. I fly between the UAE (AUH/DXB/SHJ) and either Europe or Asia. Jet bridge or bus transfer doesn't seem to make a difference either.
Old Nov 23, 2015, 7:42 am

Originally Posted by msm2000uk
Seeing as you were in long-haul F, it is strange that there was nobody to meet you when you exited the aircraft.
Yes, I thought so. As it was my first flight with QR I shrugged it off.

Originally Posted by mpkz
Just did distance measurement from the edge of the e concourse to the front door of the terminal, the longest distance you can walk, on google maps. 1.13km. stop being a baby.
The issue, for me at least, isn't distance. I'm relatively young and fit and prefer to walk especially if I've been stuck in a chair for 7 hours, or am about to be. The lounge staff at LHR are always surprised when I refuse the golf cart to take me to the gate.

The issue is the a combination of distance and time. Where connecting flights are sold on a single ticket they should have an idea of where they arrive and depart and either not offer those tight connections, or warn of the consequences.

As for mobility, suggesting assistance isn't really helpful. Those who need assistance will already be requesting it. My mother, in her sixties, is perfectly capable of walking, but does so at a pace roughly half of mine. Most signs at airports which suggest times to get to gates are hopelessly overestimated for me, but that's fine. Passengers shouldn't be expected to have to run to connecting flights.

Originally Posted by sharp5flat9
There are moving walkways all along the longer concourses (A, B, C). This does reduce the point-to-point walking distance but I accept you can't just ride if you have a short connection.
In my experience, the moving walkways at DOH are often blocked by large families who refuse to actually walk along them or stand aside to let people past. I've even seen people sitting down on them. Only worth using if you can see that your exit is clear.
Old Nov 23, 2015, 7:58 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by remdk
Mpkz I do not think that a 45 and 3 90 degree turns can be classified as a straight line.
A true straight line would involve going through the lounges, hotel and other functions at that level as well as crossing the shopping concourse by an imaginary bridge one floor up just to reach the exit from security. Then you would have to go through security in reverse to the transfer desks.

Superman you may be but I and almost all other passengers have to take the route that twists and turns around the main concourse.
I'm sure having to turn slightly a few times makes all the difference (also I obviously included the turn from E concourse to C concourse)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.