Wiki Posts
Search

QR Upgrades J to F

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2015, 5:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: LH Silver, BA Silver, EY Silver, GHA Platinum
Question QR Upgrades J to F

Does anyone have any experience about upgrades from J to F? I am flying from OSL>DOH>BKK return in J and I was wondering if theres a chance to be upgraded to F on the A380 flight. We're going on our honeymoon and ideally would love to experience the QR F as a treat. Should I play the honeymoon card? Do they offer rea$onable last minute upgrades? Thanks for your input!
Old Nov 3, 2015, 5:41 am

Programs: The Embassy
Can't hurt to ask, although F in the A380 really isn't much better. If you have miles, the DOH-BKK leg is 35k per sector. Assume the cash upgrade will be expensive.
Old Nov 3, 2015, 5:44 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by automapic
Does anyone have any experience about upgrades from J to F? I am flying from OSL>DOH>BKK return in J and I was wondering if theres a chance to be upgraded to F on the A380 flight. We're going on our honeymoon and ideally would love to experience the QR F as a treat. Should I play the honeymoon card? Do they offer rea$onable last minute upgrades? Thanks for your input!
Hi automapic,

Without wishing to be the bearer of bad news, QR very rarely offer J-F upgrades on the A380.

There are solely a couple of occasions where these are offered:

1) A request is made by the Palace in Doha for a specific passenger (member of family).
2) The passenger is a Platinum Privilege Club cardholder, traveling on a fully flexible J ticket.

There is never any harm in mentioning your honeymoon trip to the QR staff at the airport and on-board - you may get lucky!

All the best, and congratulations on your upcoming nuptials (or a belated congratulations if that's the case!).

M
Old Nov 3, 2015, 6:05 am

Programs: BA Gold
I've been offered it at check-in on DOH-LHR. Was £499 per person as I recall. So it does happen
Old Nov 3, 2015, 6:48 am

In a slightly relevant topic, if I were to go along the route of upgrading J to F at check-in using miles, would it be better to avoid check-in online or would it not make a difference? I intend to get to the airport early as it's a first come first served basis obviously.
Old Nov 3, 2015, 6:57 am

Programs: EK Plat
I checked in online for a xxx-doh-LHR trip. All had been ticketed in business class. Upon arrival at DOH, I enquired in the lounge as to whether there was upgrade availability. There was. A very happy bunny then left the lounge with an F boarding card and 30,000 miles lighter which I struggle to spend anyway! Best use of miles! Good luck!
Old Nov 3, 2015, 11:00 am

Thanks Gilly that's good to hear.
Old Nov 3, 2015, 3:14 pm

Programs: QR Plat, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by msm2000uk
Hi automapic,

Without wishing to be the bearer of bad news, QR very rarely offer J-F upgrades on the A380.

There are solely a couple of occasions where these are offered:

1) A request is made by the Palace in Doha for a specific passenger (member of family).
2) The passenger is a Platinum Privilege Club cardholder, traveling on a fully flexible J ticket.
You forgot to mention the obviously case J cabin is oversold or Y cabin is oversold resulting upgrades to J for some Y pax and to F for some J pax if the J cabin is full ;-)
Old Nov 5, 2015, 2:06 am

I have an upcoming trip booked in J with some CDG-DOH segments on A380, so would be curious to try F, if I can upgrade without paying too much. The twist is that my status is with BAEC so instead of qmiles/qcredits I have Avios (about 55k available to burn). I did some research and there are scattered posts on FT over the last couple of years suggesting that one should be able to book award travel on QR using Avios, however I have not seen any mention of successful upgrades of a segment on an already-booked itinerary.

Does anyone have any experiences to share regarding upgrades using Avios? At this point I'm not even sure what booking class availability I should look for (looks like A is the lowest First booking class?) and whether it's QR or BA I would need to call to try and arrange that.
Old Nov 5, 2015, 2:34 am

Programs: BA GGL, GA PLAT, SQ Gold
Originally Posted by Matt4
You forgot to mention the obviously case J cabin is oversold or Y cabin is oversold resulting upgrades to J for some Y pax and to F for some J pax if the J cabin is full ;-)
I was upgraded last Xmas form J to F due to the above and i was flying as BA Gold
Old Nov 5, 2015, 3:34 am

Programs: The Embassy
Originally Posted by SadKingBilly
whether it's QR or BA I would need to call to try and arrange that.
BA as they're the ones who'll be paying for it
Old Nov 5, 2015, 3:58 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by SadKingBilly
I have an upcoming trip booked in J with some CDG-DOH segments on A380, so would be curious to try F, if I can upgrade without paying too much. The twist is that my status is with BAEC so instead of qmiles/qcredits I have Avios (about 55k available to burn). I did some research and there are scattered posts on FT over the last couple of years suggesting that one should be able to book award travel on QR using Avios, however I have not seen any mention of successful upgrades of a segment on an already-booked itinerary.

Does anyone have any experiences to share regarding upgrades using Avios? At this point I'm not even sure what booking class availability I should look for (looks like A is the lowest First booking class?) and whether it's QR or BA I would need to call to try and arrange that.
You cannot upgrade existing Qatar booked travel using Avios, you can only book straight redemptions (via BA)
Old Nov 5, 2015, 4:58 am

Programs: QF LTS, Marriott LTP, ALL GOLD
Originally Posted by Matt4
Yup! I asked at check in if it was poss to upgrade to F with cash and was told no.

Then to my surprise at the gate both myself and my partner were upgraded to F! Go figure! A nice surprise though and loved the caviar and krug
Old Nov 6, 2015, 3:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: LH Silver, BA Silver, EY Silver, GHA Platinum
Dear ANstar! More details please! My strategy is to ask in DOH at the transit counter / lounge but I am not sure what would be the best option
Old Nov 6, 2015, 4:16 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
I've been upgraded once (as a BA Gold) from J to F on QR on the A340 (DOH to LHR) but never on the A380.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.