Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

Chicago to Dubai via Doha: Customs & Immigration?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Chicago to Dubai via Doha: Customs & Immigration?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2015, 2:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Fairmont Platinum, United Silver, National Exec
Question Chicago to Dubai via Doha: Customs & Immigration?

Hello,
As my post's title states, I'm flying from Chicago to Dubai via Doha (QR Business). Will I simply go through a security line in Doha (remaining airside) to access lounge prior to connecting flight OR will have I have clear immigration and customs before continuing on to the lounge and onward flight to Dubai?

I assume it's just a security check and that I'll clear immigration/customs upon arrival into Dubai.
Old Oct 8, 2015, 3:01 pm

Programs: AA Exp, Radisson VIP, Expedia OneKey Platinum, Hilton Gold, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Amex Plati
Just a security check.
Old Oct 8, 2015, 3:50 pm

Programs: QR Platinum
That's right, just a security check. The only country in the world that does not recognize the "in transit" concept is the United States.
Old Oct 8, 2015, 8:28 pm

Programs: WoH Globalist
Originally Posted by Gottettaz
That's right, just a security check. The only country in the world that does not recognize the "in transit" concept is the United States.
You forgot to add Australia. If I need to visit New Zealand via Australia I need to apply for a transit visa, despite remaining on the plane for the journey to New Zealand (that's what Emirates says when I did a dummy booking online )
Old Oct 9, 2015, 4:24 am

Programs: QR Platinum
Thanks aceboy, I was not aware of that -- and it's useful to know.
Old Oct 9, 2015, 7:08 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by arabiamark
Just a security check.
And not always a security check. You sometimes get directed straight into the departure lounge.
Old Oct 9, 2015, 11:18 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, Priority Club Blue, SPG Gold, Sofitel Gold, FB Ivory, BA Blue
Twice now I've seen an additional random check taking place, at the gate. I assume this is the very sensitive equipment they have at their disposal for the detection of explosives and drugs. I've only bypassed security altogether the once (late arrival from MAN - I assume that would happen only with origins they trust) but that was at the old airport.
Old Oct 10, 2015, 10:10 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by aceboy44
You forgot to add Australia. If I need to visit New Zealand via Australia I need to apply for a transit visa, despite remaining on the plane for the journey to New Zealand (that's what Emirates says when I did a dummy booking online )
If you're referring to the EK flights to AKL, you do not remain on the plane during the Australia stop. You disembark and pass through transit security back into the departure lounge, where you wait for an hour or so before they leave for NZ.

Last time (a week ago) I was selected for body scanning also.
Old Oct 11, 2015, 11:21 pm

Originally Posted by Gottettaz
You can add Mainland China to that list. Most airports in Mainland China are not built to have international-to-international transfer. Only on the rare occasions where you are connecting in Shanghai and Beijing on the same airline, leaving from the same terminal, does true "transit" actually occur.

In Canada, for international-to-international transfer, you still have to go through a special passport control desk dedicated to transfer passengers, before being let through back "upstairs". If you arrive outside the hours where the special passport control desk is in operation, you would have to go through the formal Canada Border Services inspection, though bags are directly transferred to the connecting flight and thus you would not have to claim the bags and go through customs with them. Suffice to say, if you are arriving and departing at different terminals say in Toronto, you (minus the checked bags) have to go through the formal Canada Border Services inspection anyway no matter what time you arrive.

Last edited by zhaobao; Oct 11, 2015 at 11:33 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.