Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DOH (Doha Hamad) Alcohol Policy

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2015, 9:59 pm
Original Poster

DOH (Doha Hamad) Alcohol Policy

I understand one cannot enter Qatar with alcohol.

If you are coming from Australia to Doha for a couple days and onwards to the U.S., is there a way to leave alcohol at the airport and reclaim it when departing?

Apparently the old airport would issue a receipt for alcohol and you could claim it on the way out, but I cannot find information anywhere on Hamad.
Old Aug 10, 2015, 7:36 pm
Original Poster

If no one knows... anyone flying to Doha in the near future willing to get a cheap bottle of wine (Walmart sells some $2.88 wine, apparently) and put it in their suitcase and find out firsthand whether it ends up in the trash vs. being able to be recollected on departure?
Old Aug 10, 2015, 11:39 pm

No idea - but what I will say is I found booze (spirits) cheaper in the US than what I could buy it for duty free in Australia. Especially at some of the bigger "booze barns" - like a cross between a dan murphys and a bunnings
Old Aug 12, 2015, 7:55 am

To my knowledge the system of the old airport is still valid. You get a receipt and on departure from Doha you can claim the alcohol back.

But I don't know how the process exactly works.
Old Aug 19, 2015, 11:06 am
Original Poster

I wonder if anyone flying through to Doha in the near future would be willing to post their experience?
Old Aug 21, 2015, 8:41 am

Slightly off topic but is there a bar in the new Doha airport? I've got a couple of stop-overs coming up there and need somewhere to kill a couple of hours.
Old Aug 22, 2015, 7:09 am

Programs: QR Platinum, KL/AF Gold, Bonvoy Titanium
If I were you I would not bank on the "turn in the booze and collect upon departure" possibility.
NDIA duty free booze is extremely cheap, I think you will be better of buying it there instead of hauling it all the way from Australia.
Old Aug 22, 2015, 9:15 am

Programs: QF LTS WP, Avis Pres Club, HH Diam.
Originally Posted by T7ER
If I were you I would not bank on the "turn in the booze and collect upon departure" possibility.
NDIA duty free booze is extremely cheap, I think you will be better of buying it there instead of hauling it all the way from Australia.
I don't know where you have been buying DF booze, but HIA is no way cheaper than DF in Australia...
Old Sep 4, 2015, 7:16 pm
Original Poster

I'm flying Australia - Qatar - USA, but spending 2 days in Qatar, that's why I am wondering what the deal is. I know you can simply transit with alcohol, but I actually am spending the 2 days.
Old Sep 5, 2015, 7:58 am

I did an STPC and bought alcohol from duty free prior the flight so it is part of my carry on. I was asked to leave the alcohol prior customs and I was issued receipt. I claimed it back in a room somewhere airside near Gate B section prior my onward flight from DOH.
Old Sep 5, 2015, 2:34 pm

Programs: AA Ex Plat, ICH Plat RA, Hyatt Diamond, LAN Prem Silver
Originally Posted by xSTRIKEx6864
I understand one cannot enter Qatar with alcohol.

If you are coming from Australia to Doha for a couple days and onwards to the U.S., is there a way to leave alcohol at the airport and reclaim it when departing?

Apparently the old airport would issue a receipt for alcohol and you could claim it on the way out, but I cannot find information anywhere on Hamad.
I also went through DOH during Ramadan and was asked to leave 2 bottles of red at customs overnight.
Old Sep 24, 2015, 1:26 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by boarding_pass
I did an STPC and bought alcohol from duty free prior the flight so it is part of my carry on. I was asked to leave the alcohol prior customs and I was issued receipt. I claimed it back in a room somewhere airside near Gate B section prior my onward flight from DOH.
This was at the new Doha airport (Hamad)?
Old Sep 26, 2015, 8:55 am

Programs: AA EXP 3MM; LH FT (*A Silver); Marriott Rewards Platinum Elite; Starwood Corporate Preferred
Arrived at the new airport last night. My wine was checked and I will pick it up tomorrow when I leave.
Old Nov 12, 2017, 9:50 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold
Just arrived in Doha with s bottle of vodka and one of brandy... they gave me the receipt for the brandy, but the vodka they took it. Not sure why?
Old Nov 12, 2017, 11:58 pm

Programs: GarudaMiles, Qatar Privilege Club, Miles&More
Originally Posted by AAExpDFW
Arrived at the new airport last night. My wine was checked and I will pick it up tomorrow when I leave.
Importing alcohol is not allowed in Qatar. Only the government owned importer is an exception to this rule.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.