Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Lounge access in Doha

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2015, 5:38 am

Gold passenger are no longer allowed access in Al Mourjan

Be prepared... :-)

I just transited through Doha with an economy flight and a GOLD card. I was rejected at the Al Mourjan entrance and had to go to another lounge. I was set aback because no explanation was offered: Qatar should have informed members about the new policies rather that rejecting quite rudely at the entrance.

I was anticipating some quiet time and I found myself in a very overcrowded lounge.

I had to wait for quite sometime before I could sit and recharge my computer... which is actually one of the main purposes for me to use a lounge. And the service was quite poor, and personnel not really helpful. Super limited choice of snacks, coffee machines that did not work, and in general, quite a busy, messy, unpleasant experience.

If this is the standard to which GOLD is now treated by Qatar in their own airport, it is not really worth the effort.... I should consider shifting with other companies that offer a better value for mileage and a better experience in transit. I wonder if ethiad would be better, for example?

Originally Posted by tmac100
In reading the "QR Lounges at HIA" thread it seems that QR has now limited access to the Al Mourjan lounge to QR Business and F class ONLY, and that OW Sapphire and Emerald members are no longer allowed. This has been their published intent (some time ago) and OW S and E members travelling on Y (for example) will no longer be allowed access.

I will find out in a week when I do my DOH-DXB commute in economy if I go to the Oryx lounge or if I am still allowed access (hello grass of Krug Grande Cuvee) to Al Mourjan

Perhaps other OW S and E members will post their experiences for lounge access when flying economy with QR after May 13, 2015

Last edited by Silvafer; May 15, 2015 at 6:11 am
Old May 16, 2015, 12:13 am

Silvafer Whilst you understandably feel upset with the lounge situation please consider
1) The first and Business Class lounges were not fully functional when opened. It was said Monday that it would be 4-5 days before they were. (In QR speak that probably means 4-5 weeks!). There will always be teething problems. Why QR opened a lounge before it was ready is the question that should be asked.
2) Spare a thought for the 'Surly' people at Al Mourjan. They have had to listen to probably hundreds of angry arguments as to why a particular Y passenger should be allowed into Al Mourjan and it must affect their mood. They are only human! Rather you should direct your ire at the top management that created the situation through lack of communication.
Old May 16, 2015, 3:50 am

Originally Posted by remdk
Silvafer Whilst you understandably feel upset with the lounge situation please consider
1) The first and Business Class lounges were not fully functional when opened. It was said Monday that it would be 4-5 days before they were. (In QR speak that probably means 4-5 weeks!). There will always be teething problems. Why QR opened a lounge before it was ready is the question that should be asked.
2) Spare a thought for the 'Surly' people at Al Mourjan. They have had to listen to probably hundreds of angry arguments as to why a particular Y passenger should be allowed into Al Mourjan and it must affect their mood. They are only human! Rather you should direct your ire at the top management that created the situation through lack of communication.
+1
Old May 16, 2015, 5:31 am

Hi guys,

One question to add. I'll be traveling in August to DPS via DOH. I hold Air Berlin Topbonus GOLD card. 2 questions :

- Will I be allowed access to the Al Mourjan lounge?
- Can I invite my colleague - which hold no status - with me?

I was unable to get a clear read from their website.

Thanks
Erik
Old May 16, 2015, 5:54 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by frenchie
Hi guys,

One question to add. I'll be traveling in August to DPS via DOH. I hold Air Berlin Topbonus GOLD card. 2 questions :

- Will I be allowed access to the Al Mourjan lounge?
- Can I invite my colleague - which hold no status - with me?

I was unable to get a clear read from their website.

Thanks
Erik
If you are flying in economy then you and your guest will be directed to the first or business class lounge appropriate for your One World status. You will need to be flying in business class to gain access to Al Mourjan.
Old May 16, 2015, 6:05 am

frenchie admittance to Al Mourjan is by ticket class and you do not state which class you are travelling in. The website http://www.qatarairways.com/global/e...id=ALL17421190 says about Al Mourjan "The Lounge access is for Qatar Airways and oneworld First and Business Class passengers only."
Guests are not allowed in Al Mourjan. Your Airberlin gold is equivalent to OWS (Oneworld Sapphire) and should give you and one guest admission to the Business Class lounge. If you read the "QR Lounges at HIA" all of this information is available.
Old May 16, 2015, 8:32 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, A3 Gold
If you are OW Sapphire (and above) the only way you (as of the last day or 2) can access Al Mourjan lounge is by flying QR Business class. The freebie that QR was most hospitable in giving, to all OW S fliers (in economy) is now over. See the latest contributions in the HIA Lounge thread.

QR always stated their hospitality would be temporary. And it WAS
Old May 17, 2015, 6:17 am

Thanks for your clear answers. I will indeed be flying Y and I have a 13h layover in DOH. So wanted somewhere nice to spend that time
Old May 17, 2015, 6:24 am

Programs: AA-EXP, MR-PP
Thanks for your clear answers. I will indeed be flying Y and I have a 13h layover in DOH. So wanted somewhere nice to spend that time
Take a tour of Doha.
Old May 17, 2015, 7:24 am

It's a night layover Not sure if there is something to see then. Open to suggestions
Old May 17, 2015, 8:06 am

What time? Last tour is at 7:30p I think.

Also, I to have 5p-7a layover and am planning a tour, visit Al Mourjan, and sleep in HIA hotel.
Old May 17, 2015, 2:49 pm

I get in a 6:35 PM and leave at 08:05 AM. Do you need to pre-book the tour? Does QR has similar hotel service as TK has when long layover?
Old May 17, 2015, 5:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
I get in a 6:35 PM and leave at 08:05 AM. Do you need to pre-book the tour? Does QR has similar hotel service as TK has when long layover?
As you are in Y, QR will not provide an STPC for you.

http://www.qatarairways.com/global/e...mmodation.page
Old May 17, 2015, 6:04 pm

No, tour is free and you can't pre-book it. You just have to sign up at the desk.
Old May 17, 2015, 7:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
I had a revenue trip SYD to DOH in Business and DOH to CAI in First. On the outbound trip I was able to use the First lounge at Doha however on the return I had to settle with the Business lounge in Doha. Unfortunately there was no getting around it. I so needed those sleeper rooms in First.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.