Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Lounge access in Doha

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2015, 4:55 am
Original Poster

Lounge access in Doha

We have a business class flight from Melbourne to Doha then somehow our TA has us on economy Doha to Dubai. Our return from Cape Town to Melbourne is business.
When we arrive on Doha to Dubai leg, should we be able to use the lounge to shower and freshen up?
Old May 10, 2015, 5:09 am

Programs: QR Platinum (Oneworld Emerald), AZ Freccia Alata (Skyteam Gold), Shangri-La GC (Jade)
Originally Posted by Jillyf
We have a business class flight from Melbourne to Doha then somehow our TA has us on economy Doha to Dubai. Our return from Cape Town to Melbourne is business.
When we arrive on Doha to Dubai leg, should we be able to use the lounge to shower and freshen up?
Do you have OW status? If not, I dont think you can. As a J arriving passenger, you can use the arrival lounge situated after immigration and customs, but not the Al-Mourjan that is reserved only to departing J passengers.
Old May 10, 2015, 8:41 am

Programs: QF QR Silver, DJ,TG,MH
Originally Posted by Jillyf
You/your TA has been caught out. On intra Gulf services, QR does not offer a Business Class service by name - it is a business class product, sold and marketed as First Class.

The next unfortunate thing is, that QR provide Lounges and services on the class of your departing flight. This means that with your onwards Economy Ticket you will be denied entry to their Business lounge.

There is a overrider here - if you have One World status or QR Platinum/Gold membership, this would also get you into the lounge.
Old May 10, 2015, 2:27 pm

Programs: AA, BA Silver (at least for a few more months)
Hi - I am in a similar situation flying ORD - DOH - DEL on Qatar, with the Delhi flight in Economy. I have an 8 hour layover in Doha. I am flying with my son and have silver status on BA while my son Bronze. Will I be able to access the Oryx lounge? Please move this post to BAEC forum if it belongs there. Thank you.
Old May 10, 2015, 3:55 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by in2it54
There is a overrider here - if you have One World status or QR Platinum/Gold membership, this would also get you into the lounge.
My OW Sapphire gets me into the Al Mourjan lounge even when I fly QR economy. The Krug champas is heavenly. Ask for it, even when they say it is warm. You will get a chilled glass - within 5 minutes and a dish of mixed nuts.
Old May 10, 2015, 5:24 pm

Thank you for the Krug tip :-) I am most excited about being able to shower and freshen up. Will I be able to guest my son in to the Al Mourjan lounge?
Old May 10, 2015, 5:55 pm
Original Poster

Thank you for replies. We hadn't thought of OW status. My husband is sapphire and I presume he can take me as a guest as he has done in the past.

When I queried the TA about the economy Doha to Dubai she said it was cheaper. I actually think she has been caught out as suggested above.
Old May 10, 2015, 8:02 pm

The oneworld connection rules apply:

Connecting between oneworld marketed and operated flights:
  • First and Business Class customers connecting on the same day of travel, or before 6am the following day, can access the lounge when travelling between an international long haul (a oneworld international long haul flight is defined as an international flight marketed and operated by any oneworld carrier with a scheduled flight time longer than 5 hours) and an international short haul or domestic flight (and vice-versa).
  • Lounge access will be determined on the international long haul ticketed flight (either First of Business Class) regardless of the ticketed class of travel on the international short haul or domestic flight.

http://www.oneworld.com/ffp/lounge-access

OP is connecting from a long haul Business class flight to a short haul Economy class flight (as defined) and so has access. Print out a copy of the oneworld rules and be prepared to press the point with the QR agents on duty if necessary.

As a side note, as someone has already pointed out, Business is sold as First on intra-Gulf routes. Any travel agent worth their commission and fees should have known this or when Business availability showed as zero been able to find it out. Get a new travel agent.
Old May 10, 2015, 10:59 pm
Original Poster

I did post this but it seems to have disappeared so will repost.
Thank you for your replies.
We hadn't thought about OW status and my husband is sapphire.
We will definitely print off the rules, just in case.

When we checked the Doha to Dubai flight with the TA she said it was the cheapest fare, but we feel now she didn't understand the ticketing. Will have a talk to her. Thanks for the explanation.
Old May 11, 2015, 8:55 am

Thank you for the clarification, I will print out the lounge rules to take with me. It took me a while to realize that BA Silver and Qatar Silver are different OW status.
Old May 11, 2015, 10:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by in2it54
You/your TA has been caught out.
Maybe not. At the current time, the cheapest business class "I" fares MEL-DXB book in "B" class on DOH-DXB, which is in the Y-cabin. Only the more expensive "I" fares allow booking in "A" class, which is in the business-class-sold-as-first cabin.

However, it wouldn't hurt for the OP to check with QR to see if he/she was booked in the wrong class (not with the TA, as he/she could take the shortcut and deny any mistake). Also I suggest in the future for the OP to check online before relying on a TA, whose skills vary.
Old May 11, 2015, 4:47 pm

Originally Posted by Top of climb
OP is connecting from a long haul Business class flight to a short haul Economy class flight (as defined) and so has access. Print out a copy of the oneworld rules and be prepared to press the point with the QR agents on duty if necessary.
QR might counter this with the argument that the Al-Mourjan lounge is not a Oneworld Business Class Lounge.
Old May 14, 2015, 2:35 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, A3 Gold
In reading the "QR Lounges at HIA" thread it seems that QR has now limited access to the Al Mourjan lounge to QR Business and F class ONLY, and that OW Sapphire and Emerald members are no longer allowed. This has been their published intent (some time ago) and OW S and E members travelling on Y (for example) will no longer be allowed access.

I will find out in a week when I do my DOH-DXB commute in economy if I go to the Oryx lounge or if I am still allowed access (hello grass of Krug Grande Cuvee) to Al Mourjan

Perhaps other OW S and E members will post their experiences for lounge access when flying economy with QR after May 13, 2015
Old May 15, 2015, 1:28 am

The new "business class" lounge is crap in doha. I posted pictures in earlier post.

you will no longer get into Al Mourjan lounge.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/24818579-post1072.html

Originally Posted by tmac100
In reading the "QR Lounges at HIA" thread it seems that QR has now limited access to the Al Mourjan lounge to QR Business and F class ONLY, and that OW Sapphire and Emerald members are no longer allowed. This has been their published intent (some time ago) and OW S and E members travelling on Y (for example) will no longer be allowed access.

I will find out in a week when I do my DOH-DXB commute in economy if I go to the Oryx lounge or if I am still allowed access (hello grass of Krug Grande Cuvee) to Al Mourjan

Perhaps other OW S and E members will post their experiences for lounge access when flying economy with QR after May 13, 2015
Old May 15, 2015, 4:25 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by tmac100

Peaople have been. You have to go to the relevant OW lounge now

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.