Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

Qatar Airways: the worst customer service I have ever experienced.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2015, 8:26 am
Original Poster

Facts: Purchased a LAS to ORD (on AA) to DOH to DWC round trip coach ticket on Expedia for $2195 within 24 hours of flight departure. My return leg from DWC to LAS was cancelled for an unknown reason. Apparently Qatar Airway’s computer had me as a no show for my outbound flight even though the itinerary was traveled as booked (no changes, delays, or alterations were made). Oddly, QA staff were aware of my arrival as they lost my bags and the station manager had them delivered to me 3 hours before I left for the Airport in the weehours on Saturday am Doha time. Qatar Airways made no effort to resolve the situation.

Narrative:

When I arrived at the airport at 0410 for my 0625 flight to Doha to return home I was informed that my travel was not ticketed. Having made a number of last minute international reservations before I have had this occur on three prior occasions—on each occasion the counter staff resolved the issue rather quickly. This normally happens when I fly AA out of Bangkok on JAL.

The QA staff at DWC huddled around the computer for approximately two hours—of which 50 minutes they were on hold with their own call center (Sat am is their Sunday am)—until they figured out that I was incorrectly marked as a no-show out of LAS to ORD. They apparently figured out how to resolve this issue within their system only 10 minutes before the flight took off thus I missed boarding. They next hastily instructed me to travel to DXB to catch the 0730 flight to Doh in order to make the ORD flight. They said as long as I was there by 0700 I would be ok.

I called AA and asked them why I was marked as a no show on their LAS to ORD flight; they insisted that I was not and that my ticket was in order in their system.

I hopped in a taxi and arrived at the counter at 0650. The QA staff at DXB new nothing of the issue with my ticket and after polite instance, they called their counterparts at DWC. The Georgian QA DXB worker and the Phiipina QA worker from DWC began arguing as to why I was sent to DXB with no information.

What happened next is beyond the pale: The Georgian told me that she could no nothing and it was the Phiipina’s fault and she ran away. I was firm, but polite, never yelling nor lobbing ad hominem personal attacks.

After waiting for 20 minutes I called the QA call Centre and spoke to Mohamad the Manager on duty. He told me that the fault of this was Expedia’s and that I could travel tomorrow after paying a change fee.

I told him this was ridiculous and that he was required to book me on the next avail flight to LAS. He said there was no flight avail. I countered that there was a BA flight at 1000 and that IATA requires him to book me on that flight—the next avail flight out. He then put me on hold for 54 minutes.

Understanding that I was getting the 3rd world run around—where people fail to show initiative, leadership, or own a problem—I called BA and was directed to the counter where I was about to purchase a seat on BA to get back to LAS in time for my commitment—I was taking foundation kids to a 2000 Chris Brown concert in exchange for 4.0s. Just as I was about to purchase the ticket I was told that Mohammad was going to solve the problem.

I waited and 20 minutes later he told me to call Expedia as he could do nothing for me. By this time the BA flight was closed and I could not purchase my own ticket.

I called Expedia and Alex the manager told me to pay 300 bucks to reschedule for tomorrow because I was a no show for the 0625 DWC flight. When I explained I was there but was unable to fly he insisted I was a no show and would have to pay.

I left the airport, called AA, and they rebooked me on the first avail flight to LAS. Note that it was QA’s ticket and not AA’s ticket.

Oddly, well after AA rebooked the flight. I received a text from Qatar Airways blaming AA for the problem and saying that I could fly out two days later for free: “Dear Mr…After we’ve done a thorough check we found out that the fault of your ticket is American Airlines System.”

They offered me no compensation for anything.

I missed taking the kids to the Chris Brown concert and arrived Sunday at 1800. I spent $1000 USD for the tickets, 750 Dirham for another night in Dubai, and about 300 Dirham in taxi fees. I ate cheaply (35 bucks).

I am drafting a demand letter asking for payment for the unused concert tickets, the hotel room in Dubai, and taxi fees. IATA seems to suggest that I am entitled to compensation (a partial or full refund of the ticket) as it was QA’s error that prevented me from flying.

I will also request full reimbursement for the delayed baggage. I had to buy a suit, shoes, and work out gear for the 3 days my bags were delayed at about 600 USD. My bag was also thrashed and returned to me with a hole in it.

Please advise.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.