Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

Switching to another OneWorld program if you live in Doha?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2014, 10:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Titanium, QR Platinum

Does it make sense to switch to another OneWorld program, like British Airways, if you live in Doha?

I like flying on Qatar Airways, but their frequent flyer program is terribly bad, I hate the limited award availability, and how many flights are not posting automatically (especially OneWorld flights), the restrictive offers, and the bad customer services
Old Aug 19, 2014, 12:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

alhitmi Welcome to FT

Yes : it does make sense. BA or AA are the default ffp for many. Look & ask here http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/onewo...help-here.html

If wanting awards on QR flights all OW ffp's will have close to the same availability, as its from the same bucket. At times your own ffp will have better availability on its own aircraft, especially if you have status
Old Aug 20, 2014, 4:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Titanium, QR Platinum
Thanks Mwenenzi, I'll try to build my status next year with BA or one of the Asian airlines
Old Aug 23, 2014, 10:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
I lived in DOH for more than five years and held membership in both BA and QR FFP schemes. This was before QR joined oneworld.

Once upon a time the QR scheme was not bad. My miles carried me between DOH and the UAE three times in first class. But now the earn/burn rates are awful.

BA's scheme is so much better so I suggest that you join the Executive Club.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 8:34 am

Programs: BA Gold, TG Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Plat
You must fly 4 flight a year on BA itself to attain BA elite status (BAEC Silver or BAEC Gold) irrespective of how many non-BA OW flights you take. The BA FF programme works if you fly in premium cabins. Otherwise another OW programme maybe more suitable.
Old Aug 27, 2014, 12:26 am

Ah thanks. I was already wondering what the catch was. As I'm only flying Qatar Airways and no BA flights are available on my normal routes anyway their programme is probably the best for me. On Friday I'm reaching gold status, and I must say it was much easier than I thought. I might even reach platinum within a year, but we'll see about that.
Old Aug 27, 2014, 2:50 am

Programs: BA Gold, TG Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Plat
BA flies LHR-BAH-DOH

Do you get to Bahrain for a weekend away?
You could do 2 DOH-BAH return flights to get your 4 qualifying BA flights (even economy is sufficient)

Unfortunately BAH-DOH-BAH works for a same plane turnaround but DOH-BAH-DOH requires an overnight stay in Bahrain.

Fare for a return ticket
Economy: QAR 450
Premium Economy: QAR 690
Business QAR 1,610
First QAR 2,310

Last edited by KenJohn; Aug 27, 2014 at 3:17 am
Old Aug 27, 2014, 3:23 am

Programs: UA MM/1P, EK Au, QR, TK, Marriott Life Ti, Hilton Dia, IC Dia, Hyatt Glob, Accor Pt, Shangri-La
Originally Posted by alhitmi
Does it make sense to switch to another OneWorld program, like British Airways, if you live in Doha?

I like flying on Qatar Airways, but their frequent flyer program is terribly bad, I hate the limited award availability, and how many flights are not posting automatically (especially OneWorld flights), the restrictive offers, and the bad customer services
Probably a good idea. The main advantage or disadvantage of accruing in QR is that you are largely restricted to redeeming on QR: redemption rates for partners are bad, e.g., 75K/150K for a round-trip in Y/J DOH-LHR on BA versus 43/86K on QR. Plus of course there are few non-QR oneworld flights from DOH anyway -- only one per day on CX, BA, and RJ. (You can travel to nearby cities for a few more options.) There is no reason to stick with QR if most of your award travel does not O&D in DOH.

The flip-side is redeeming from DOH on QR at prices that are pretty good, e.g., 70K/140K for DOH-IAH round-trip. Plus you get a 5% discount for booking an award on-line and see an occasional promotion. And they offer one-way awards. I also have had an apparently better success rate in redeeming long-haul J awards than most others here; I have almost always been able to find tickets to the U.S., sometimes on short notice, when I have wanted to. Award tickets to Europe seem harder, as do upgrade awards.

Of course this doesn't take into account earning rates; I earn a lot of miles on my QNB credit card, so it ends up being fairly generous. I am not aware of the partner-redemption rates on BA/AA/others. But I suppose that you should calculate where you plan to redeem and compare.

I agree about the other downsides of QR -- dealing with them on redemptions or any other customer-service issues can be a hassle. And Qcredits, one of the key putative benefits of Privilege Club, are tough to use. Op-ups for elites are very rare. Also, if you're traveling on QR Y, there is no difference in elite check-in, fast track, or lounge access as a QR elite versus elite in another oneworld program -- even though the Premium Terminal is a thing of the past, they use the same entrance rules in the new biz/first lounge, namely, QR premium-class passengers only.

So there are few upsides to sticking with QR other than redemption prices if you're starting in DOH.
Old Aug 27, 2014, 7:26 am

Originally Posted by KenJohn
BA flies LHR-BAH-DOH

Do you get to Bahrain for a weekend away?
You could do 2 DOH-BAH return flights to get your 4 qualifying BA flights (even economy is sufficient)

Unfortunately BAH-DOH-BAH works for a same plane turnaround but DOH-BAH-DOH requires an overnight stay in Bahrain.

Fare for a return ticket
Economy: QAR 450
Premium Economy: QAR 690
Business QAR 1,610
First QAR 2,310
Yes, but the flight times are rather bad. If i ever go back to Bahrain I take an airline again that flies at decent times and doesn't desturb my sleep even if it costs more or doen't give any miles.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.