Wiki Posts
Search

Cancellation policy for visa rejection

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2014, 3:55 am
Original Poster

Unhappy Cancellation policy for visa rejection

Hey Guys,
Needed some guidance on qatar airways visa rejection policy. A friend and I were travelling to Croatia, Germany and Austria from India next week. We had booked Qatar flights in January of this year when the discounted rates were on.

Unfortunately, I have learnt today that both our VISA's got rejected for the 'intent of travel not being clear'. (Not sure what caused that as we had clearly mentioned tourism in the covering letter and the application form.) Unfortunately we dont have time to file a re-appeal as our flight is next week.

Qatar airways has told us that since thes are discounted tickets, the cancellation would only return us 20% of the fare while reschedule would cost us some 60% loss on original fare+ticket price difference of new route.

I was wondering whether we can show the Visa rejection letter and claim an exemption? Does Qatar support that? I am fine rescheduling also if we don't end up losing some 450$ as is the case now. (The to and fro tickets are around 700$)

Any pointers or help?
Old Apr 17, 2014, 5:49 am

Programs: QR Gold
Well that is indeed terrible but I don't personally think that QR can do anything since passengers must have a valid visa to travel and it must 've arranged prior to travel by a good time and not last minute. Maybe you could reroute your ticket ?
Old Apr 17, 2014, 7:06 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
100% the traveller's responsibility to have documents in order for travel. Check your travel insurance. It might be covered under an all perils provision. Not likely, but worth reading to be certain.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 7:11 am

Programs: QR PC Silver, FlySmiles, Skywards
I doubt any airline will take responsibility for a visa rejection.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 7:45 am

Programs: Qatar Airways Gold, Singapore air Kris flyer,Emirates Silver, Etihad Gold
Originally Posted by kataka
As far as I know QR does for tickets sold from Egypt to Europe.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 9:46 am

Originally Posted by kataka
many airlines allow free cancellation for visa rejection, but it would have to be spelled out in the fare rules under penalties (usually states: non refundable, except for visa rejection, documentation required).

If this fare does not spell this out you are probably SOL, as others have said, the airline is not responsible for your visa, nor is it in their control....
Old Apr 18, 2014, 8:06 am

That's terrible to get rejected. You can usually reschedule on Qatar for $250 fee plus the fare difference.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.