Community
Wiki Posts
Search

QR or BA for one world Sapphire?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2014, 12:13 am
Original Poster

Question QR or BA for one world Sapphire?

QR fares are going up from Singapore and it does not make sense to fly them since even the discounted fares are more expensive than BA discounted fares to Europe/Americas. And BA discounted earn more tier points than QR tier points.

Was thinking if I should switch to BA executive club. Plus, many of the tickets on MH/CX, regional carriers in SEA which I usually flies, qualifies for BA tier points but not for Qpoints on QR.

On estimation, I could earn a OW sapphire BA Silver with about 1000 pounds, or 2500 SGD but to earn QR gold, I need to spend significantly more. Both One World Sapphire.

But one point is QR has better inflight experience and the qcredits for upgrade.

Thinking if I should switch to BA EC once I hit 75,000 points enough for a 1 way business ticket.

Any comments? I usually travel 2 long haul/year and 2 short haul. All leisure. Discounted Economy on MH earns a flat tier point which helps to achieve the BA silver but is at crappy rates on QR PC.
Old Mar 3, 2014, 12:35 am

BA is arguably the easiest to hit status on of all Oneworld airlines. Four long haul J sectors and you're almost at Sapphire. That's 2 BA returns and a couple of short hauls, or 1 QR return connecting in QR and 4 BA domestics/short hauls.

Redeeming miles, its not such a happy story with lots of fees added on that other airlines don't include.
Old Mar 3, 2014, 1:40 am
Original Poster

How would a QR long haul get sapphire on BA?

Can elaborate?

On a sidenote, I called BA to book a N class ticket which is a Qpoints eligible to Lisbon. However, SIN-LHR is N class and LHR-LIS is S class. I requested for a N class ticket for both sectors and was turned down on the phone as I explained about the points difference between S and N class on QR PC. The guy replied that the ticketed fare is N class so I would get N class points and miles on QR. Could I verify this?
Old Mar 3, 2014, 2:44 am

Originally Posted by tboons
How would a QR long haul get sapphire on BA?

Can elaborate?

On a sidenote, I called BA to book a N class ticket which is a Qpoints eligible to Lisbon. However, SIN-LHR is N class and LHR-LIS is S class. I requested for a N class ticket for both sectors and was turned down on the phone as I explained about the points difference between S and N class on QR PC. The guy replied that the ticketed fare is N class so I would get N class points and miles on QR. Could I verify this?
You need 600 Tier Points on BA to hit Sapphire (plus 4 BA flights). A QR long haul in J earns 140.

So a return on QR from, for example, SIN-DOH-LHR will net 4 lots of 140, for 560 total. You could then do 4 BA domestics worth 10 Tier Points each to fulfil the 4 BA flights requirement and you have Oneworld Sapphire status.

If you're flying in economy it becomes more complicated as booking class etc. comes into it. Two long hauls and two short hauls per year in discount economy is unlikely to get Sapphire with any airline
Old Mar 3, 2014, 4:27 am
Original Poster

yes, and much easier than QR.

so now, is it worthwhile for the free upgrade (40qpoints) by staying in QR and LHR is a much more interesting place to do a transit as compared to doha...

first world problem.
Old Mar 3, 2014, 4:36 am

Programs: QR gold; SQ silver; SPG gold; Hilton gold
Don't forget you also have to factor in mileage bonuses with status on both airlines. So would really depend on which airline you end up flying more.
Old Mar 3, 2014, 11:06 am

Programs: QR Platinum; A3 Gold
I would suggest not to take the 40 credits so seriously.

Having credits does not mean there would be upgrades. There are indeed some reported success cases, but I guess those are more from the lucky few. I have attempted several times, with my flights in various months of the years, including Q, S and V fares, but all without success. I am actually losing confidence in the qcredit into class upgrade deal.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.