Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

What to do for 6 hours on a Sat evening in Doha

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2014, 7:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Silver, LH, AF

Hi all,

First time poster on Qatar thread. Just booked my tickets and booked a wrong date by mistake. To make best of this mistake, I am thinking of seeing Doha for a few hours.

My flight reaches 1830 on Sat 1 March and the onward flight departs at 0050 on Sun 2 March - so essentially I have six hours. I have BA Silver membership, so do have access to Oryx lounge, but wanted to know the experts' opinion on if I should venture out in Doha city for four hours or so. Essentially, if I can manage to enter Museum of Islamic Arts by 715 PM, followed by a dinner followed by a walk on Al Corniche and back to the airport?

-H
Old Jan 2, 2014, 8:01 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: QR Privilege Club Gold; Accor LeClub Platinum
Hello heman!

It might get quite tight to get into the Museum of Islamic Arts. Doha airport is a bus-airport with rather long drives to the Arrival/Transfer terminals sometimes, so until you're out of the airport, it might well be past 7pm already.
Also note that many nationalities need to buy a visa on arrival (100QAR, about 30 USD).

On the other hand, the Transfer terminal is usually quite full in the evening (including the Oryx lounge), so getting out a bit might be a good idea. I'd recommend the Souq Waqif, close to the museum, for an evening stroll. The smells of perfume shops and restaurants are quite nice!

These are just some points to consider, sorry I can't give more definitive answers.
Old Jan 2, 2014, 8:43 am

Programs: UA MM/1P, EK Au, QR, TK, Marriott Life Ti, Hilton Dia, IC Dia, Hyatt Glob, Accor Pt, Shangri-La
+1 to the Souq Waqif idea. A taxi can take you there for around QAR 30; it's sometimes a slight challenge getting a taxi back, so allow a bit of extra time.

There are a lot of threads here (and on the Middle East forum) discussing this subject, so you can search for additional layover ideas. The lounges and food options in the main terminal are pretty grim, though, as the previous poster said, it will cost you QAR 100 (credit card only) for the visa.
Old Jan 2, 2014, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
You have plenty of time to see the souq, have dinner and a walk. But I would be sure to be looking for a taxi back to the airport at least 90 minutes ahead of departure.
Old Jan 3, 2014, 7:24 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
I recently had a stop-over in Doha. After transferring to the Orxy Rotana I jumped in a taxi and headed to the Museum of Islamic Art, which was closed - however, I walked around the back of the museum for amazing city skyline views across to West Bay. From there I walked back to the Cornish and along to Souq Waqif and spent about and hour wandering around the souq and then hailed a taxi outside the souq (I was obviously lucky as it took me about 30 seconds to get a taxi) and was back at the hotel about 2 and a half hours after leaving. Was a very pleasant evening all in all.
Old Jan 3, 2014, 2:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Silver, LH, AF
Thanks all. I agree that MIA will be touch and go, but others should be fine.

Look forward to!

Last quick question: I need to get a visa in advance (on arrival not available for my passport country), but the info is scarce. Do I really need to book a hotel even though I will be out for a few hours just to get a visa?!
Old Jan 3, 2014, 3:50 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: QR Privilege Club Gold; Accor LeClub Platinum
Originally Posted by heman
Thanks all. I agree that MIA will be touch and go, but others should be fine.

Look forward to!

Last quick question: I need to get a visa in advance (on arrival not available for my passport country), but the info is scarce. Do I really need to book a hotel even though I will be out for a few hours just to get a visa?!
I would guess there's some kind of Transit Visa available? According to the Washington D.C. website (here) there is, given you have a more than 6 hour layover. I guess you would just about qualify? But check with the local embassy, I'm sure they can tell you.
Old Jan 6, 2014, 1:12 pm
Suspended

A question of my own to add. How widespread are taxis which accept credit cards, rather than cash?
Old Jan 6, 2014, 1:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by nth_utsera_sth_utsera
A question of my own to add. How widespread are taxis which accept credit cards, rather than cash?
As of Nov-2013 there were not any - take cash.
Old Jan 6, 2014, 1:50 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Sixth Freedom
As of Nov-2013 there were not any - take cash.
Thanks, good to know.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.