Wiki Posts
Search

How is QR a 5 star airline?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2012, 10:49 pm

Programs: QR Gold
Originally Posted by SimpleDXB
CAlex - don't you work for QR?

In this day and age, given the competition for traffic, esp from Middle Eastern and Asian airlines, is it unreasonable to expect flat beds in J and F?

If there were a price differential, then I would understand it...

In any event, my original point was I don't understand how an airline that DOESN'T have flatbeds across its fleet in F+J and has substandard product (hard and soft) to other regional (and global) competitors manages to rank higher in the Skytrax polls? In other words, by definition it can't be and shouldn't be ranked 5 star....

I have no problem in saying Qatar is not the worst airline I have flown (and is far better than most), but it most certainly isn't the best, and IMHO don't compare with and are not better than EK (4 star) and EY (4 star), and are nowhere near as good as the other 5 star airlines (e.g. SQ and Cathay). If an airline is to laud itself as a "5 star airline" and "world's leading airline blah blah" as QR does, then it should be head and shoulders above the rest, which QR most definitely isn't, often lagging behind the competition.
NONE of the 5 star airlines offer consistent seating. EVEN Singapore, which is the creme de la creme doesnt have a consistent offering. Their 777-200 are as old as the Queen with the cradle seats--and they DO fly long haul.
Old Dec 22, 2012, 11:11 pm

Programs: QR PC Silver, FlySmiles, Skywards
I certainly prefer QR over EK.

Always friendly staff, always greeted by name, better food, better connections, lower prices etc.

Even Oryx Lounge is better then the circus in DXB;-)
Old Dec 22, 2012, 11:30 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: TK Gold, M&M FTL, QR Gold, HH Diamond, PCR Platinum
How is QR a 5 star airline?

I don't work for QR. i agree with your point about being a 5* airline and still having just a few advantages - on-board service, Premium Terminal and overall seating on the 777.

However, I don't care about the star rating, I look at flight network, flight times, quality and cost, and for my Asia trips QR comes out as a winner every time!
Old Dec 23, 2012, 1:03 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
So you REALLY believe Skytrax?

http://skift.com/2012/11/10/airline-...sing-industry/

I posted there once (on an Asian low cost carrier) and my (quite positive) post was heavily censored.

Plus giving 5 stars to Hainan Airways is really pathetic... But this is slightly OT...
Old Dec 23, 2012, 4:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: EK Plat, OWE (BA), *A Gold (TK), EY Gold*
Originally Posted by QatarA340
EVEN Singapore, which is the creme de la creme doesnt have a consistent offering. Their 777-200 are as old as the Queen with the cradle seats--and they DO fly long haul.
Lol - I got stuck in F on an old SQ 777 out of DXB. I was looking forward to the flight until I got onboard - that said, when I was asked which champers they had, the Purser's response was "we have Krug and DP, I will open them both as you look thirsty" ^
Old Dec 23, 2012, 6:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by kataka
I certainly prefer QR over EK.

Always friendly staff, always greeted by name, better food, better connections, lower prices etc.

Even Oryx Lounge is better then the circus in DXB;-)
EK wins for route network though and FFP partners
Old Dec 23, 2012, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by AA_EXP09
EK wins for route network though and FFP partners
ah yes, what insight, have you ever even step foot on either EK or QR??

Emirates serves 123 destinations
By mid 2013, Qatar will have 124 destinations.

EK's partners are: AK, JL, 9W, B6, KE, SA, TP and soon QF
Qatar will soon be in Oneworld

Clearly EK wins ....
Old Dec 23, 2012, 2:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by rankourabu
ah yes, what insight, have you ever even step foot on either EK or QR??

Emirates serves 123 destinations
By mid 2013, Qatar will have 124 destinations.

EK's partners are: AK, JL, 9W, B6, KE, SA, TP and soon QF
Qatar will soon be in Oneworld

Clearly EK wins ....
As of right now?
Old Dec 23, 2012, 3:12 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Oh cmon now, if MH can be a 5-Star airline then airline deserves to be a 5-star airline.
Old Dec 23, 2012, 7:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As of right now?
The destination count is as of right now (both are at about 120)

Qatar partners include: NH, OZ, IT, ME, US, VS, and GOL
Emirates partners include: AK, JL, 9W, B6, KE, SA, TP

Are you still claiming a superior route network and partnerships??

Maybe next time, research the facts instead of posting pointless one-liners to post-pad.
Old Dec 24, 2012, 1:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rankourabu
The destination count is as of right now (both are at about 120)

Qatar partners include: NH, OZ, IT, ME, US, VS, and GOL
Emirates partners include: AK, JL, 9W, B6, KE, SA, TP

Are you still claiming a superior route network and partnerships??

Maybe next time, research the facts instead of posting pointless one-liners to post-pad.
EK I can see interline with more flight options than QR flights though departing both Asia and N America.
Old Dec 24, 2012, 4:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

EK I can see interline with more flight options than QR flights though departing both Asia and N America.
so this is an indication of a superior route network?...

however, lets check the facts.

EK - 154 interline partners.
QR - 176 interline partners.

what unverified claims will you make next?
Old Dec 24, 2012, 8:06 pm

Programs: QR Plat
I'll pile on my two cents here as well.

My perspective is: I've only flown QR in paid business class; all my long haul is paid business class, luckily.

First the good. QR in the air is almost as good as LX or SQ in the air. There is more diversity in QR crew due to them being from a diverse set of places, but I can't really think of any major flaws after flying QR for 4-5 years.

The bad. QR customer service is horrid at most levels. Some things are just bad, some things are worse. So far I've been lucky, all my bookings have been mostly used as booked, I've had a few refunds, and they have been slow. Dealing with crew on the ground in DOH varies from people not knowing their rules, to having had someone been admonished by her supervisor in front of me for being too eager to accomodate some changes.

QR does have some very eager staff that try hard to help in places. I've had a few friendly people at a few oustations, including one attempting to use this forum as a channel for unofficial support. This mostly leads to tremendous breakdowns. I nearly got stranded this summer by a ticket that was (unknown to me) "fixed" in a highly unofficial way, to the point that staff on the ground in DOH refused to touch it. First rule of managing customer expectations: don't promise something if you can't follow through in a timely and ordered manner, that makes something bad seem a lot worse.

Despite all of this, I usually manage to get from A to B wihtout any hassle, and as soon as I'm onboard, I know the flight will be nice. My biggest gripe is that I don't live near an airport that is in QRs network and I often go places where QR don't have ticketing arrangements with, but where interline agreements exists. QRs stubborn refusal to allow bags to be tagged beyond their own network is causing me seirous grief, I've had several occasions where QR staff have replaced trags on bags without notifying me, or promising that staff at the destination will be available at the gate with the right tags.

As far as hands down winners of the context of grumpy and disinterested people, that goes to immigration and the locals in customer service in DOH, which I've made it a sport of always smiling to and be friendly with, just to see if I can make them eek out a fake smile or a friendly welcome or goodbye. They are consistently really trying hard to make you believe that you are a burden for disturbing them, chatting to a colleague a cubicle over, or on the phone.

So all in all, I take QR for what it is, as long as I can get onboard I know I'll have good value for money, it gets me from A to B, but I know that at one point something will happen that will have me need to confront the dragons of DOH, and at that day this customer relationship is likely going down the drain.

I just noticed I had qualified for gold. I have had a look at the benefits, and there isn't a single thing that springs to mind that makes their program give me benefits or stay loyal, compared to a random person with a paid business class ticket, so in general:

Nothing this airline does makes me have any reason to be a loyal customer.

-A
Old Dec 24, 2012, 10:09 pm

Programs: QR PC Silver, FlySmiles, Skywards
Immigration has nothing to do with QR.
Old Dec 25, 2012, 6:40 am

Originally Posted by SAA340
. As I moved from Burgundy to Gold I was greeted as soon as the seatbelt sign light shut off, always by name, and first choice of food, and on one flight from OSL-DOH the person greeting me went into the front cabin and got me a copy of the New York Times. Throughout all my flights the attendants were smiling, cheerful and genuinely happy. On 3 flights as Silver I was flying alone, in smack full aircrafts, and had a free seat next to me, which was lovely! Now, I dont know if that was because of my status, but I did not see any other free seats in Y..
Originally Posted by Skoodledoo
Even in Burgundy I have always been, without fail, addressed and welcomed by name on boarding with Qatar, which is a really nice touch.
This is really interesting as me nor the Mrs. have never been he greeted by our first name in all the times we have traveled on QR. But this is probably because our seats are always moved from the seats we selected when we booked online.

I would agree if the things mentioned in your post happened to me or the Mrs. then maybe we would value our gold membership more.

I'm currently on two weeks holiday and have been staying in spg hotels and have really come to appreciate how some companies/brands treat valued elite guest.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.