Wiki Posts
Search

Qatar Airlines coming to...Boston?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2012, 1:27 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Qatar Airlines coming to...Boston?

"After Chicago, we are going to start operating three more destinations," Al Baker said. "This will be Atlanta, Detroit and Boston."

Wow!

http://www.usatoday.com/story/todayi...s-ceo/1655711/
Old Oct 26, 2012, 7:06 am

Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, QR Silver, Accor, BA
Why Detroit, I wonder... is it the car manufacturers who are making LPG deals? I suppose Detroit is a hub, but...
Old Oct 26, 2012, 12:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Still no DFW?
Old Oct 26, 2012, 2:03 pm

Programs: AA 1MM, AA Plat, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by InternationalLiving
Why Detroit, I wonder... is it the car manufacturers who are making LPG deals? I suppose Detroit is a hub, but...
I think there is a decent sized middle eastern population in Detroit. RJ also has a flight to Detroit.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 3:48 pm

Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, QR Silver, Accor, BA
Originally Posted by coiaflyer
I think there is a decent sized middle eastern population in Detroit. RJ also has a flight to Detroit.
Fair point...
Old Oct 27, 2012, 6:27 am

Programs: AS MVPG, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by UA Fan
Still no DFW?
Once QR joins OW, I would think AA would fly from DFW.
Old Oct 27, 2012, 6:58 am

Programs: miles and more
Since ETHIHAD is joining SKYTEAM would have more sense for them to start from DTW and ATL.Maybe they will still do from Deltas 2 big hubs.
Old Oct 27, 2012, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Originally Posted by jayagopal50
Since ETHIHAD is joining SKYTEAM would have more sense for them to start from DTW and ATL.Maybe they will still do from Deltas 2 big hubs.
I have heard of some codeshares between AF and EY but nothing about skyteam. Do you have a link ?
Old Nov 4, 2012, 6:08 pm

I think this is terrific. Boston has no direct flights to the middle east and just recently added its first to asia on JAL.
Old Nov 4, 2012, 8:15 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, United MileagePlus, TrueBlue, Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan (starting 2016)
Originally Posted by mgolshan
I think this is terrific. Boston has no direct flights to the middle east and just recently added its first to asia on JAL.
I'd like to see who actually rolls the dice first between QR, EK, and TK - all who have hinted at BOS.

QR - has the right plane (787) to compete with and future OW loyalty.

EK - has the partnership with B6 and the most destinations especially secondary Indian Subcontinent.

TK - has *A loyalty and has the most O&D (~ 30,000 passengers in 2011 ~ 40 PDEW) which would be stimulated by a BOS-IST flight and is better for middle east traffic flows.

There is 15 transatlantic flights a day that one of these carriers would have to compete with but all three have the ability to work (either codeshare or just interline) with B6 too which would help.
Old Nov 5, 2012, 6:23 am

I had heard of Turkish and Qatar considering BOS, but not EK. I think any of the three would pick up a lot of business especially for onward connections to the region. With Healthcare, IT, Business, Education and other areas of work, I think any of them would do well.
Old Nov 5, 2012, 7:26 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mgolshan
I had heard of Turkish and Qatar considering BOS, but not EK. I think any of the three would pick up a lot of business especially for onward connections to the region. With Healthcare, IT, Business, Education and other areas of work, I think any of them would do well.
"Considering"?? I thought Qatar WILL fly to BOS starting sometime next year.
Old Nov 5, 2012, 9:25 am

Originally Posted by dieuwer2
"Considering"?? I thought Qatar WILL fly to BOS starting sometime next year.
Why do you think that?

If you are referring to your original post, treating al Baker's statements of intention as fact is not a good idea.

He decline[d] to give a precise timetable
The fact is, Boston is a small town.
Old Nov 5, 2012, 11:52 am

Programs: AAdvantage, United MileagePlus, TrueBlue, Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan (starting 2016)
Originally Posted by SeeBuyFly
Why do you think that?

If you are referring to your original post, treating al Baker's statements of intention as fact is not a good idea.

"Small town" with tons of high tech research, an Indian Subcontinent population that doubled between 2000-2010, and PDEW of 250+ to the Indian Subcontinent and Southeast Asia easily served by QR.

A good link to see growth of BOS-Indian Subcontinent traffic from 2003-2011 is here: http://www.brookings.edu/research/interactives/aviation

Al Baker did say "will" but I'm wondering if "will" becoming "scheduled" depends on two things: 787 deliveries and the opening of New Doha International Airport.
Old Nov 5, 2012, 7:49 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SeeBuyFly
Why do you think that?

He also said
"It will be soon, because we have plans 15 to 16 destinations in our network next year".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.