Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

Deteriorating quality of Premium Terminal?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2010, 8:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: LX HON, BA Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite

Hi all,

Just arrived in DOH on my way to SGN.

I have no idea whether it is due to the a change of shift, but the staff is most unhelpful since my last flight 2 months ago. Apart from the staff's arrogance/boredom at the security on entrance which I don't find surprising anymore, I had to search the whole PT for a damn lighter or some matches (nobody being helpful looking for me, except for a 2m perimeter around them), had to look for staff to bring me a drink in the smoking room which also seems dirty and not cleaned...

I hope this isn't the start of the end of the quality they used to bring here. For sure it was MUCH better before the enlargment of the business lounge.

Anybody else notice this deterioration?
Old Mar 9, 2010, 9:23 am

Programs: UA MM/1P, EK Au, QR, TK, Marriott Life Ti, Hilton Dia, IC Dia, Hyatt Glob, Accor Pt, Shangri-La
I only used it for the first time about a year ago, but I have never been impressed. The bars are usually unmanned -- I often go back and pour myself a drink, and rarely find ice -- and I agree that the service in general is not very attentive.

Also they have no reading materials besides the local newspaper, the Qatar Airways magazine, and a few of the "shill" magazines put out by local lifestyle companies. Even something like the International Herald Tribune, which they had in the Gold lounge in the main terminal (which is also lousy overall) seems to be a luxury in the business class side.

The Premium Terminal is really overrated in my opinion. I would rather have a main terminal with lots of amenities (not that DOH has this, either). We'll see what happens when the new airport opens.
Old Mar 10, 2010, 10:52 am
Original Poster

When is NDIA due to open? I read 2011 but is there anyone who can be more specific?
Old Mar 10, 2010, 1:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
End of 2011 or 2012 is more likely, according to a pilot I happened to be sitting next to on a LH flight from MUC to HAM a few months ago.

The Premium terminal is still better than many european carriers' business class lounges don't you think?

I still enjoy going there.

I don't smoke.. so it doesn't bother me that one can't find a match to light your cigarette with. Perhaps it might have been better to ask someone who smoked?
Old Mar 10, 2010, 2:51 pm

Programs: QR Gold
Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
End of 2011 or 2012 is more likely, according to a pilot I happened to be sitting next to on a LH flight from MUC to HAM a few months ago.

The Premium terminal is still better than many european carriers' business class lounges don't you think?

I don't smoke.. so it doesn't bother me that one can't find a match to light your cigarette with. Perhaps it might have been better to ask someone who smoked?
The New Airport's tentaive plan is to open in 11/11/11; that could change of course. I worked there before, and let me tell you it is on par with the world's best airports!
Old Mar 10, 2010, 11:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Guy Betsy

Whether you smoke or not, that is not the issue here if I'm correct?

I asked 2 people of the staff whether they could arrange sth, surely that isn't too much...yet both refused to do any effort at all and I gained a lighter from the service desk on the 1st floor. Thus being told that there is not a single match or lighter in the whole terminal seems a bit lazy and unhelpful to me, don't know about you.

In the past I remember staff coming into the smoking room every 2 or 3 minutes to serve drinks, clean the ashtray's etc. Now I sat there for one hour and I didn't see anyone. Same situation in the main lounge, it appears.

I agree with you that the premium terminal is still much better than most other carrier's lounges. However that doesn't mean it will automatically stay that way - I sure hope though, and for now I will stay with QR since I prefer them over Etihad.

btw, saw Up In The Air onboard - great movie imo.
Old Mar 14, 2010, 10:20 am

Programs: Air France Platinum - Qatar Airways Gold
Originally Posted by mecabq
Also they have no reading materials besides the local newspaper, the Qatar Airways magazine, and a few of the "shill" magazines put out by local lifestyle companies. Even something like the International Herald Tribune, which they had in the Gold lounge in the main terminal (which is also lousy overall) seems to be a luxury in the business class side.
What amazes me is that it is impossible to buy any kind of newspaper or magazine in the PT. There are books, bottles of booze, cameras, perfumes, watches, cigars... but magazines? newspapers? Not a chance.
Old Mar 17, 2010, 1:39 pm

Programs: most of them
at least the connection time is usually pretty short.

personally my two trips thru DOH I thought it was perfectly fine. But I guess I don't really need/expect much. As long as there is free wireless, and some basic food choices I am pretty well satisfied. And clean restrooms. There's a lot of space there and plenty of monitors with flight info. I don't really care to have staff fawning over me.

When I was there at breakfast time the buffet staff were very helpful.
Old Mar 18, 2010, 7:05 am
Suspended

Programs: TG Plat , AF Lifetime Plat, SPG Plat
Just my 2 cents,as someone based in Thailand, TG ROP Gold for over 10 years , usually flying TG 1st class to Europe 6 times a year , and who has experienced QR recently on a combined C/F ticket BKK-CDG.This goes beyond the Premium Terminal experience, so please forgive me.

The QR premium terminal is miles ahead in terms of food offering, drink selection , quality of service, wifi speed , space , luxury feeling, compared to what I get at TG C/F lounges in BKK ( even the TG F lounge has gone way downhill recently) , when paying at least 30% less to get from BKK to CDG.
Let's face it, QR, at this moment in time, is the best friggin price/quality ratio you can find from any airline on Asia to Europe routes.
When you factor in the spanking new planes, their C class on 777W which puts to shame TG's 1st class, excellent food, very good wines, top notch AVOD and usually stellar service, and taking into account TG 's frequent swap to planes with prehistoric premium seats , I'd be a fool not to give my bucks to QR.
Old Mar 27, 2010, 1:35 pm
Suspended

Just be thankful QR does offer somewhere for premium customers to smoke. It's getting rarer...
Old Mar 28, 2010, 8:43 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nth_utsera_sth_utsera
Just be thankful QR does offer somewhere for premium customers to smoke. It's getting rarer...

I'd be pro worldwide smoking bans, no discussion - but again, that's not the issue here.
Old Mar 29, 2010, 8:47 pm

Originally Posted by pansted00
Just my 2 cents,as someone based in Thailand, TG ROP Gold for over 10 years , usually flying TG 1st class to Europe 6 times a year , and who has experienced QR recently on a combined C/F ticket BKK-CDG.This goes beyond the Premium Terminal experience, so please forgive me.

The QR premium terminal is miles ahead in terms of food offering, drink selection , quality of service, wifi speed , space , luxury feeling, compared to what I get at TG C/F lounges in BKK ( even the TG F lounge has gone way downhill recently) , when paying at least 30% less to get from BKK to CDG.
Let's face it, QR, at this moment in time, is the best friggin price/quality ratio you can find from any airline on Asia to Europe routes.
When you factor in the spanking new planes, their C class on 777W which puts to shame TG's 1st class, excellent food, very good wines, top notch AVOD and usually stellar service, and taking into account TG 's frequent swap to planes with prehistoric premium seats , I'd be a fool not to give my bucks to QR.
+1

If only QR flights attracted *A status miles, not just destination miles, I'd give up on TG completely.
Old Mar 30, 2010, 11:18 am

Programs: VS Gold,QR Gold, BA Silver
I fly through DOH at least twice a month and to be honest the premium terminal can be good or bad dependent what time you fly, if your on an asia -europe flight and arrive 5am, you will find it pretty quiet with no food until 6am , same again in the evening arrive on the LGW flight at 19.00 hrs and nothing happens food wise until 21.00hrs

Saying that it still has good service with drinks etc, and the price is unbeatable all in al great value for money

For the smokers , be thankful there is a smoking room, not many places have any at all!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Apr 6, 2010, 1:41 am

Last month I flew first time QR FRA-DOH-BKK in Business. In FRA QR uses the LH Business Lounge. Being *A Gold I was used to the LH Senator Lounges and thought already these are substandard, but the Business Lounge defines a new low level of substandard-ness. Some subway station during peak time can be cosier.

And then the Premium Terminal DOH: What a change. Roomy, elegant, quite. Attentive staff serving food and chatting with passengers. This is the perfect place for a break of an 12 hours trip from Europe to Asia.

Even when there is not that much food choice some times, the in-flight catering is so extensive you don't need to eat after a flight for many hours.

Well, I did and eat 5 full meals during this trip, 4 in-flight and one in the PT. On my connecting flight to CNX (TG) I couldn't face any more food.
Old Apr 6, 2010, 11:25 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Fan2502
Well, I did and eat 5 full meals during this trip, 4 in-flight and one in the PT. On my connecting flight to CNX (TG) I couldn't face any more food.
I agree, sometimes it's just too much

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.