Community
Wiki Posts
Search

INTL-DOM Flight Connections @ SYD T1

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8, 2009, 9:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: Plastic Fantastic! - QF, DJ, AF, NZ, DL etc..
INTL-DOM Flight Connections @ SYD T1

I have an upcoming internaional flight into SYD and am looking to fly onward to MEL on JQ in StarClass. As the flight operates from T1, I am wondering whether it is necessary to clear customs/immigration and re check at departures for JQ service or is there a transfers area? If there is one do JQ allow xfers?
Would this be different for QF / Any other airline operating dom sectors from T1?
I can't find any info on tranfers on QF, JQ or SYD airport websites apart from T1 to T2/3 domestic.
Any advice would be great, or if someone could point me in the right direction.
Cheers
David
Old Sep 8, 2009, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by david870mdg
I can't find any info on tranfers on QF, JQ or SYD airport websites apart from T1 to T2/3 domestic.
Any advice would be great, or if someone could point me in the right direction.
Cheers
David
The Jetstar website will set the details for you. Sorry I don't have the link - but it will be under something like baggage transfer / limited connectivity.

Editied as I now have the link - its a pop up:

http://www.jetstar.com/au/en/popup/f...nnections.aspx

In a nutshell it looks like:

- international QF/JQ to international JQ is OK and baggage will be transferred for you provided it is on the same ticket - and there must be at least two hours connection time

- international any other carrier - no assistance or baggage transfer

regards

lme ff

Last edited by LHR/MEL/Europe FF; Sep 8, 2009 at 10:41 am
Old Sep 8, 2009, 6:33 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
You must clear immigration and customs in SYD. JQ shows their "recommended connection time" as 2:15 in SYD, so choosing to fly JQ instead of QF for SYD-MEL is a huge hassle imo, unless you really want to fly into Avalon. Taxi from AVV to CBD costs double compared to MEL. Also QF economy can be nicer than JQ starclass on SYD-MEL, fwiw, depending on the flight. I just noticed that you say this JQ flight operates from T1; didn't know that JQ did the domestic leg of international as QF did (does AVV even have immigration/customs -- don't think so). I guess that is the reason it goes via SYD international.
Old Sep 8, 2009, 6:40 pm

Programs: QF WP LTG, HHonors Diamond, NZ Gold
Originally Posted by number_6
You must clear immigration and customs in SYD. JQ shows their "recommended connection time" as 2:15 in SYD, so choosing to fly JQ instead of QF for SYD-MEL is a huge hassle imo, unless you really want to fly into Avalon. Taxi from AVV to CBD costs double compared to MEL. Also QF economy can be nicer than JQ starclass on SYD-MEL, fwiw, depending on the flight. I just noticed that you say this JQ flight operates from T1; didn't know that JQ did the domestic leg of international as QF did (does AVV even have immigration/customs -- don't think so). I guess that is the reason it goes via SYD international.
JQ fly international services into AVV?

BD
Old Sep 8, 2009, 6:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
You must clear immigration and customs in SYD. JQ shows their "recommended connection time" as 2:15 in SYD, so choosing to fly JQ instead of QF for SYD-MEL is a huge hassle imo, unless you really want to fly into Avalon.
Wouldn't the OP's plans count as QF international -> JQ international, with a 1:00 connection time as on the page linked to? And if I understand it right, the JQ flight goes to MEL (not AVV), arriving at the international terminal so that immigration and customs can be cleared there (if bags can be through-checked).
Old Sep 8, 2009, 7:22 pm

You must clear immigration and customs in SYD.
If you arrive - SYD T1 (Qantas Pier) without checked-bags, can you not simply use the Jetstar counter at the airside Transfer desk (and offcially be processed as an Australian arrival in MEL T2)? Or has the JQ line disappeared from the desk with its move to downstairs? Or does is it only open with restricted hours, designed to assist Kiwis with their movements?
Old Sep 8, 2009, 8:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
You must clear immigration and customs in SYD. ...
Not at all. The OP is flying Starclass to MEL on JQi.

They will complete immigration/customs processing in MEL.

Any checked luggage will be transferred to the JQ flight by Qantas groundstaff.

http://qantas.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/q...i=&p_topview=1
Old Sep 8, 2009, 10:23 pm
Original Poster

FYI, The reason why I want to fly the JQ sector is it departs from T1.

This flight continues on the MEL Tullamarine and has StarClass on offer.
It's not the best of experiences at SYD intl to be hurled through immigration like cattle then have to clear customs like sheep with the sheep dogs rounding you up and finally making it outside being shuffled onto a transfer bus.

I would much rather avoid this or have to do this at my final destination.

Thanks for the replies

David
Old Sep 9, 2009, 4:46 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
I didn't realize that JQi sells domestic sectors. So this is the same as QF? With D for domestic pax? Or is it only sold for international connections? As an aside, I notice many of the QF MEL-SYD-MEL flights are now codeshared with JQ (!), using the QF flight number with a 6 in front.
Old Sep 9, 2009, 6:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

For those travlling domestically, say MEL-SYD, they get the orange D sticker.

The Saturday afternoon 3:15pm JQi flight SYD-MEL is popular hereabouts for a mini MR as the AUD329 fare earns 40 SC's. Also, WP's get a nice lunch in the First Class lounge at Sydney.
Old Sep 14, 2009, 4:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by serfty
For those travlling domestically, say MEL-SYD, they get the orange D sticker.
Although david870mdg, the OP, presumably won't get an orange D sticker because he is a direct airside transfer after an international arrival to SYD, and going on to MEL uncleared - so will be treated as an international arrival at MEL.
Old Sep 14, 2009, 4:45 am
Original Poster

Question

Originally Posted by Globaliser
Although david870mdg, the OP, presumably won't get an orange D sticker because he is a direct airside transfer after an international arrival to SYD, and going on to MEL uncleared - so will be treated as an international arrival at MEL.
Mmmm, so no clearance at SYD, does that mean a smooth transfer to JQ?
Old Sep 14, 2009, 4:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Globaliser
My response in post #10 that you quoted was in direct relation to post #9.
Old Sep 14, 2009, 4:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by david870mdg
Mmmm, so no clearance at SYD, does that mean a smooth transfer to JQ?
At the very least your luggage will be checked through to MEL and you will not see it until then.

As to where/when you will get your BP for the JQi flight from SYD to MEL, I know not.
Old Sep 14, 2009, 5:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by serfty
My response in post #10 that you quoted was in direct relation to post #9.
Yes, sorry - I should have made clear that I understood that.

I was just trying to make sure that the OP didn't get confused and start expecting an orange D for his connection.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.