Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Qantas Club staff/service reductions?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2009, 2:20 am
Original Poster

I shall preface this post by saying this is pure heresay...

A friend of mine (and very regular domestic flyer) was talking to some staff members at Qantas Club T2 at SYD on the weekend and they told him they are reducing staff numbers at the SYD international first/platinum lounge and possibly looking at reducing the size and or services at the first/platinum lounge.

Also they are now being less generous with bar service at the domestic lounges and not opening the bar until 2 pm. Obviously this would be due to the current economic conditions.

Anyone heard anything about this?
Old Jun 7, 2009, 4:06 am

Wouldn't surprise me to see cuts at the F lounges due to the downturn in premium passengers for Qantas. I prefer things as they are of course, but understand... The real question is - would those services return once load numbers increase?

As for domestic booze starting at 2pm, I'm not really sure about this as I don't see booze supply at 12pm costing Qantas a lot of money vs starting it at 2pm. (Perhaps several thousands per week Australia wide, but not a huge amount of money). I sense this more as a "later" decision if things continue to worsen.

Still interesting information, and thanks for sharing
Old Jun 7, 2009, 6:41 am

I do not want to give Qantas any ideas, but there is probably an easy way to cut costs in the First Lounge. The lounge can only be open during time where there are actually flights that operate in First Class

- In Sydney, this would mean the lounge would be closed following the last departure to London every evening, as there is no F on QF flights to NRT, HNL, AKL and no F on other oneworld flights such as CX to HKG. While QF do codeshare on EY and offer the option to purchase an F ticket to AUH on a QF code, these customers could just use the J lounge, as from my understanding, EY only entitles their own F passengers to use the J lounge anyway (please correct me if I am wrong)
- In Melbourne, there are now only two flights per day with F, QF 9 to LHR and the LAX flights. The lounge could be closed outside of these times. Same issues pertains to the EY flight operations in MEL as in SYD.

Just a thought, and a very pessimistic one at that, but if QF needs to save money, desperate times do call for deesperate measures.
Old Jun 7, 2009, 6:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Platinum A332
- In Sydney, this would mean the lounge would be closed following the last departure to London every evening, as there is no F on QF flights to NRT, HNL, AKL and no F on other oneworld flights such as CX to HKG. While QF do codeshare on EY and offer the option to purchase an F ticket to AUH on a QF code, these customers could just use the J lounge, as from my understanding, EY only entitles their own F passengers to use the J lounge anyway (please correct me if I am wrong)
Closing the lounge when there is a QF flight ( codeshare with EY ) seems v poor; those on the flight in QF F would be entitled to use the QF lounge iirc as would any QF Platinum members

Dave
Old Jun 7, 2009, 1:02 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by Platinum A332
I do not want to give Qantas any ideas, but there is probably an easy way to cut costs in the First Lounge. The lounge can only be open during time where there are actually flights that operate in First Class

- In Melbourne, there are now only two flights per day with F, QF 9 to LHR and the LAX flights. The lounge could be closed outside of these times. Same issues pertains to the EY flight operations in MEL as in SYD.

Just a thought, and a very pessimistic one at that, but if QF needs to save money, desperate times do call for deesperate measures.
Do that and the business lounge gets fuller and also annoy a lot of OW emerald pax by forcing them to switch lounges before their flight.
Old Jun 7, 2009, 4:15 pm

Programs: QFWP (LTSG), NZ (Jade), TG ROP (Forgotten), OZ (Silver), AA (Cardboard), EK (Lowest of the Low)
I posted something a while back about cuts to staff and some serivces in the SYD Flounge. Causal staff were let go for the lounge and spa.
As for closing in times where there is no F flight that would seriously effect me to the point that I would not fly QF anymore and in fact stop crediting to QFF.
I too have seen the signs regarding the opening times of the bar and thought that was a bit stiff going from 12 to 2.
Also talking to staff at the QF Domestic clubs, they have been told ocuts to the catering budget and they personally feel that they will not have jobs by the end of the year. But what can you expect from QF in NZ where they have given up on keeping any business travellers.
Old Jun 7, 2009, 7:23 pm

Programs: DL Plat, NZ Elite, QF Plat
Originally Posted by Blackcloud
Also talking to staff at the QF Domestic clubs, they have been told ocuts to the catering budget and they personally feel that they will not have jobs by the end of the year. But what can you expect from QF in NZ where they have given up on keeping any business travellers.
Little confused...were the QF NZ lounge staff talking about catering cutbacks to domestic NZ QP's or were QF AU lounge staff talking about catering cutbacks to domestic AU QP's?

It would be pretty dire if NZ QP's catering was cutback...is it even possible to cut back catering from cheese and crackers with the occaisonal cold meats?
Old Jun 7, 2009, 8:38 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
QF NZ dom lounges will soon be gone, at which point catering is cut back 100%.
Old Jun 8, 2009, 12:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Hi all

Well I have some GOOD news (well, an anecdote really but still positive)

I was in the F lounge the other day waiting for a delayed QF29 and asked a staff member if the lounge would now be closing earlier given the reduction in F cabins.

Their reply was that there are still a number of Chairman's Lounge and Platuinum passengers and so the lounge would be staying open even after the 29 goes to three class.

And if QF is lurking - I too would consider changing airlines if you start to close the F lounge.

Speaking of changing airlines... did we ever get an update on the pay-for-exit for plats?

As for the QP bar, I thought it only ever opened from 3pm anyways... so 2pm is an enhancement as far as I'm concerned

Regards

lme ff
Old Jun 8, 2009, 4:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
The domestic QP bars have been opening from Midday for around a year; for the prevois 3 or 4 years it has been 1pm.

As for the MEL Flounge I asked the same quetion there 10 days ago and was told the same thing (i.e. staying open for WP/Emeralds).

(Note that QF134 goes to 6:05 pm soon)
Old Jun 8, 2009, 6:59 am

Programs: DL Plat, NZ Elite, QF Plat
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
Yeah but if they cut back catering further before closing them down then that would be a pretty dire state for a lounge.
Old Jun 8, 2009, 3:04 pm

Programs: QFWP (LTSG), NZ (Jade), TG ROP (Forgotten), OZ (Silver), AA (Cardboard), EK (Lowest of the Low)
Unhappy

Just to let the regulars at AKL know that Christine had her final day at Qantas on the 8 June. She along with several staff were made redundant over the last 6 weeks.
It was sorry to see her go and she had a good crowd of familiar faces around her giving her their best wishes and hugs.
Goodbye Christine I appreciate all the help you have given me over the years.:-:
Old Jun 9, 2009, 9:55 pm

Programs: QF Platinum & Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Camohe
I shall preface this post by saying this is pure heresay...

A friend of mine (and very regular domestic flyer) was talking to some staff members at Qantas Club T2 at SYD on the weekend and they told him they are reducing staff numbers at the SYD international first/platinum lounge and possibly looking at reducing the size and or services at the first/platinum lounge.

Also they are now being less generous with bar service at the domestic lounges and not opening the bar until 2 pm. Obviously this would be due to the current economic conditions.

Anyone heard anything about this?

I believe the changed bar opening times may already have been implemented. I am currently in the Cairns domestic QP, and the bar is closed (ie. at 1:45pm). There is a sign on the bar stating that it will open at 2pm.
Old Jun 9, 2009, 9:57 pm

Programs: QF Platinum & Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
OOL is a precendent for this. The airport became wholly Jetstar serviced, and within a few months the QP was closed.
Old Jun 9, 2009, 10:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by QF Lad
I believe the changed bar opening times may already have been implemented. I am currently in the Cairns domestic QP, and the bar is closed (ie. at 1:45pm). There is a sign on the bar stating that it will open at 2pm.
This is definitely a change; I was there three weeks ago and the bar opened at Noon.

(Of course, at CNS, 2pm is after the popular BNE/SYD and sole MEL flights have departed.)

Last edited by serfty; Jun 10, 2009 at 5:16 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.